Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsiderate EV owner yanks charger while car is being charged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Click the button to release the charger and then reconnect / put it back. It will wake up the car. Look on the gauge cluster lcd. Will show you state of charge.
Have you personally tried this?

On the "other" thread, the person making that suggestion admitted he had not tried it.

I tried it with my HPWC and it doesn't work. Original HPWC's use the J1772 protocol.

Another poster also states this does NOT work if the car is locked.

• Love
Reactions: Markba
Click the button to release the charger and then reconnect / put it back. It will wake up the car. Look on the gauge cluster lcd. Will show you state of charge.

Have you personally tried this?

On the "other" thread, the person making that suggestion admitted he had not tried it.

I tried it with my HPWC and it doesn't work. Original HPWC's use the J1772 protocol.

Another poster also states this does NOT work if the car is locked.

I have both a HPWC and a J1772 EVSE in my garage so I just tested it. The results vary by whether the car is locked or not.
With the car plugged in and unlocked, when the charge handle button is pressed:
HPWC: Ring turns white and plug releases.
J1772: Ring turns white and plug adapter releases.

With the car plugged in and locked, when the charge handle button is pressed:
HPWC: Ring turns blue but the handle stays locked on the car. The car knows that it is connected to a Tesla branded EVSE and will not release it.
J1772: Ring turns blue and the adapter stays locked on the car, but the J1772 plug can be removed.

Continuing on with the car still locked, releasing the button on the HPWC handle or plugging the J1772 back in will either:
Turn ring blue and do nothing if not charging or
Start flashing the ring green and the car starts charging.

In either case, nothing is displayed on the screens inside the car at all if the doors are locked. So anyone who would unplug a J1772 and reconnect it to check charging status would have to know that a flashing green ring means charging (obvious) and a solid blue ring means not charging (not so obvious).

Not “Tesla elitism” .

I'm not sure I see anything I'd lay at the feet of specifically of being the owner of a Tesla. .

Elitism was in reference to the number of people in this thread playing the “People must hate me because I’m rich and have a Tesla” card. We’re not victims…

Ignorance on tesla owners part was in reference to the number of people in this thread who apparently don’t realize that shared chargers explicitly involves strangers unplugging your car. Which…at the risk of making a self-evident statement, is not to be conflated with the OP context of poor timing when unplugging the previous car.

…rather it’s recognizing that moving charging cables all the time came from when EVs were under 100 mile range and there were few charging stations. Now that most EVs have significant range.

Certainly we can agree this logic does not apply to public charging today, since the vast majority of cars at public chargers are short range. I’m also curious to see the actual breakdown of EVs on the road relative to short/long range. Long range has probably taken over the lead for new sales, but intuitively one would presume there are still many more short range on the road.

I assigned no weight to the portion of folks with that stance.

Lol. Confusing addition to your post, then.

Threads from Leaf and Volt forums indicate that this has nothing to do with Tesla elitism…

Exactly. Which is why the elitism in this thread is unwarranted.

Poor etiquette at shared chargers is an ignorance problem. Contrary to the message delivered by some in this thread, there are only sporadic instances where it’s actually malice or spite. If we don't understand the problem we won't find the solution...

Elitism was in reference to the number of people in this thread playing the “People must hate me because I’m rich and have a Tesla” card. We’re not victims…

Don't think I've seen any significant number of folks expressing that either.

Ignorance on tesla owners part was in reference to the number of people in this thread who apparently don’t realize that shared chargers explicitly involves strangers unplugging your car. Which…at the risk of making a self-evident statement, is not to be conflated with the OP context of poor timing when unplugging the previous car.

Explicitly? Either I don't think that words means what you think it means, or you are referring to a minority of locations.

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140
A lot of this does revolve around "I got mine, tough if you didn't get yours. Why be nice to someone else if you don't have to. If you are forced to be nice to someone else, were you in fact being nice?

The original poster said someone had unplugged him at work. They also have someone that manages the charging at his job. What if they were the ones that unplugged him after 45 minutes to make way for the next vehicle? Do we club that person too because he couldn't tell how much charge was in the Tesla? It seems to me that leaving info for others on the car is very helpful. I realize that some people would never allow others to unplug them for any reason. Some, in my opinion, were never taught to share. Those are some of the same people who don't share the road well with others either. Yes, I fully agree it could be frustrating to be unplugged when more of a charge was needed or wanted. Charging equipment is in short supply and we need to be on the same team of helping others to drive electric. Honestly, we are all inconvenienced by it at this stage. Misplacing our anger isn't going to help. Be angry about not having enough charging stations and doing something constructive about it.

Reactions: croman
A lot of this does revolve around "I got mine, tough if you didn't get yours. Why be nice to someone else if you don't have to. If you are forced to be nice to someone else, were you in fact being nice?

That's a Straw Man you've created out of the concept of a waiting queue for a resource.

If you go deeper into the critical thinking, there's also an implied false dichotomy here: consider what the alternative(s) are to "being nice."

I have both a HPWC and a J1772 EVSE in my garage so I just tested it. The results vary by whether the car is locked or not.
With the car plugged in and unlocked, when the charge handle button is pressed:
HPWC: Ring turns white and plug releases.
J1772: Ring turns white and plug adapter releases.

With the car plugged in and locked, when the charge handle button is pressed:
HPWC: Ring turns blue but the handle stays locked on the car. The car knows that it is connected to a Tesla branded EVSE and will not release it.
J1772: Ring turns blue and the adapter stays locked on the car, but the J1772 plug can be removed.

Continuing on with the car still locked, releasing the button on the HPWC handle or plugging the J1772 back in will either:
Turn ring blue and do nothing if not charging or
Start flashing the ring green and the car starts charging.

In either case, nothing is displayed on the screens inside the car at all if the doors are locked. So anyone who would unplug a J1772 and reconnect it to check charging status would have to know that a flashing green ring means charging (obvious) and a solid blue ring means not charging (not so obvious).

Interestingly, I tried this with my S and Gen 1 HPWC last evening. With the car locked, pressing the button woke up the charge port ring where it pulsed green for a sec and then went blue as charging stopped. As the car was locked, I couldn't remove the cable, obviously. Also no screen activity for me.

The interesting thing is that the car did not resume charging. I thought perhaps it may have had something to do with only having been charging a short period of time before the test, so I let a session run for about 90 minutes and repeated the test. Same... no charge resumption.

So... perhaps resumption is tied to a scheduled, rather then manually initiated charge.

If so, then the idea that pressing charge handle buttons on Tesla's is an innocuous activity is even less so. Previously I only knew that interrupting a session 6 hours after a scheduled charge would permanently stop the session.

unplug a J1772 and reconnect it to check charging status would have to know that a flashing green ring means charging (obvious) and a solid blue ring means not charging (not so obvious).

This what I confirmed too in checking with j1772. The screen doesn't come on but port collar indicates green for still charging.

I'm sure it is a safe assumption that anyTesla charging at a slow 30 amp j1772 must be really desperate for the juice and need every electron to get home and they are not just convenience charging.

But can unplug to see the port collar light to see if still charging.

I'm sure it is a safe assumption that anyTesla charging at a slow 30 amp j1772 must be really desperate for the juice and need every electron to get home and they are not just convenience charging.

BF611217-4A38-41B5-916A-9F6A46928FF6.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Evoforce
I'm sure it is a safe assumption that any Tesla charging at a slow 30 amp j1772 must be really desperate for the juice and need every electron to get home and they are not just convenience charging...

20 mph charging if you are aren't collecting tickets.
Realistic day at work is nearly 200 miles of charging. Average commuter speed is under 50 mph door to door.
So somebody who sleeps in an apartment in a different region from work, has no superchargers, works, and drives.
That is their entire life. Kinda of like prison except with less exercise time, and less sex.

Like I've said before, when you make things free, there are people will stab their mom in the eye to get 1 place further up in line. Or if it's a prime spot, folk will use an EV charging spot an all-day parking spot. They might even be nearly fully charged, but if allows them to walk 1 minute less a day, it's worth it.

Like Costco. You watch folk block aisles waiting for a front stall just to avoid walking 100 yards or less.

Last edited: