Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect temperature reported?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I am planning to do.
1. Place a thermostat in each of the cars tonight on front passenger seat. Take temp readings both outside (in garage) and cabin.
2. Then place both cars out on the street and take readings by the hour for couple of hours.

Will report tomorrow.

PS: it will be good to have a few more people repeat the process so we can get a good sample.

But.. it'd have to be placed outside of your garage.. right? I mean, if they're both in the garage after a decent sleep.

Best we can do to test is check first thing in the morning (if both cars slept in the garage). I'll set a reminder and do it tomorrow.

Sorry, what I meant is that the thermometer placement in the X could be different than the S and in a location that reads hotter for some reason?

After overnight inside the garage:
Time Analog App Dash
Model X 8am 86 89 85
Model S 8am 90 89 91

Analog= analog thermometer placed on the dash
App = inside temp reported by Tesla app
Dash = outside temp showing on car dash

When it gets warmer outside I will put both outside and see how they read in hot sun.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Mine after overnight:

Model X - 76 inside (app)/74 outside (IC)
Model S - 76 inside (app)/73 outside (IC)

So once they stabilize, it seems like they read similarly. But maybe it's in the hot conditions that @AnOutsider mentions where they don't. And that would likely point to a location based issue.

Was driving around Folsom, CA yesterday at the height of the heat day. Outside temp display 104F which was about right. Then I sat in a parking lot for about 15 mins while the wife ran some errands. Had Climate Control on. When we left I noticed the outside temp was reading 114F. After a few minutes out on the road again it went down to 103F. So maybe heat builds up in the compartment that the sensor is located in and is only accurate if the car is moving.

While waiting in the parking lot at a store today I noticed the outside temp on the dash rise from 96 to 116 and when we drove away drop back to 96. I think 96 is about the same as what weather channel was showing for our area too.
And I am kind of connecting the dots as to why the cooling fan goes into high as the temperature under the car either because of the AC and/or the battery was significantly higher.

Though it was cloudy and didn't get as hot, here are the readings after leaving both cars in the sun for 2hours in the open (no shade):
Model X 4pm 98 (analog) 105 (app) 105 ( dash)
Model S 4pm 102 (analog) 105 (app) 95 (dash)

Model S was showing more accurate outside temp on the dash and Model X was showing 10degrees higher (and the cooling fan went into jet mode).

In both instances, the analog showed 4degrees less in Model X which I am inclined to attribute to error on one of thanalog thermometers. The Tesla app showed same interior temperature for both vehicles morning and afternoon.

@AnOutsider - you probably have led to why the model X fan goes into high all the time. And since this is happening for everyone likely it's a software bug rather than thermostat problem.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnOutsider
I didn't take a screenshot, so you can say 'pics or it didn't happen'. But Today in PHX it hit 116+...and the app at a couple points today showed interior temp of -35 degrees...I'm convinced it must have been so hot, it broke the app's temp field. Later it was reading properly, and if it happens tomorrow, I'll make sure to get a cap, since it's supposed to be 115+ again...

It would be interesting if the incorrect temperature sensors readings are the reason why the fan goes nuts and can be heard across the parking lot. It would be nice if a software fix will address it.
I think that's what @xkwizit was alluding to in his previous post. And I think it's an excellent and likely observation. My feeling, though, is that this isn't easily remedied with software since the thermometer reads properly while driving or in the shade, but poorly in the sun. The car would need to adjust only in certain circumstances. I could definitely be wrong.. and hopefully I am.

Thanks guys for taking the baton and running with it (while I spent the last couple days at amusement parks chasing kids :p). So it would seem I wasn't totally crazy on this. I feel like it read high once while we were in the car too, but it may have been in traffic which may have created conditions similar to sitting still.

Recap: I had reported the readings we took and reported to ServiceNA who asked my local SC to bring the car in and observe. Finally, this week we were able to do that and here's the explanation that the Service Manager gave:

Explanations:
1. Difference in ambient outside temperature between Model S and X is due to the placement of the sensor. In Model S, it is under the frunk and has several layers of metal and plastic and thus is more protected than the sensor on Model X which is right behind the bumper on Model X. However, when you drive the vehicles the temperatures should (and they do) match up as air flows through the sensors.

Now, the big jet engine mode:
2. Cooling fan sound is atrociously high in Model X - Model S has cooling divided on two sides of the frunk. So, two smaller fans and thus the noise is spread out between the two sides. On Model X, there is one and larger cooling fan that is more efficient than two smaller fans and is located in the center. It has a larger blade area and pulls in more air. Thus, Model X cooling fan sound is higher. In other words, BY DESIGN!!

In the Service Manager's words - on both accounts the difference in temperature readings and higher noise, the car is functioning normal and the differences are due to "under the hood" design differences between the two cars.

On Model X, there is one and larger cooling fan that is more efficient than two smaller fans and is located in the center. It has a larger blade area and pulls in more air. Thus, Model X cooling fan sound is higher. In other words, BY DESIGN!!
Color me skeptical. I'm sure there is one vs. two fans. But I still wonder why it needs to ramp to "insanity" when the ambient temperatures are in the 70s.

Oh well, for now I guess I'll just keep using the nose of my Model X as a shop-vac.

It certainly is an inside temperature measurement because it drops quickly when you activate climate control. I see these high readings when outside in the sun (80's outside, 100's inside), and I'm not sure I believe them.

I have a pyrometer and I can open the door and quickly take readings all over the interior (dash, seats, roof, glass, etc.) to see if the measurements are anywhere close to what's reported on the app.

I don't where the inside temperature sensor is located, but it is very responsive to AC.