Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase in Wh/mile after halfshaft replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consulting the FSM and the labor guide, it appears to be true. Alignment is not part of the replacing the half shaft probably because the procedure doesn't require unbolting any suspension components at any of the alignment adjustment ends.

No idea what they did when my car was in the shop, but when I got it back the toe was so far out it was undrivable.

No idea what they did when my car was in the shop, but when I got it back the toe was so far out it was undrivable.

They didn't follow the FSM step by step or ran into an issue where they ended up removing some suspension component at the frame rather than the knuckle....or damage was caused by hitting something that destroyed your toe when they test drove it.

They didn't follow the FSM step by step or ran into an issue where they ended up removing some suspension component at the frame rather than the knuckle....or damage was caused by hitting something that destroyed your toe when they test drove it.

I suspect they just pulled the control arms. Doubtful they knocked the toe out of alignment from driving. The funny thing is when I called them out about it they aligned it no questions asked.

Just slow down then to the 4 mph or so with regen and then use the brakes. That won't heat the rotors more than a degree if even that.
So I managed to drive 6 miles over 20 minutes. No brakes at all (yay for slightly uphill driveway). Average speed a bit under 20 mph. 356 Wh/mi. Measured these temperatures:

Temp beforeTemp after
Driver Front69.373.2
Passenger Front69.874.1
Driver Rear67.174.1
Passenger Rear66.973

Does it make sense for the rotors to heat up at all if only regen for braking? This would imply to me either all the brake pads are misaligned, or none are. And I think it's unlikely that all would become misaligned immediately after the service appointment. Thoughts?

So I managed to drive 6 miles over 20 minutes. No brakes at all (yay for slightly uphill driveway). Average speed a bit under 20 mph. 356 Wh/mi. Measured these temperatures:

Temp beforeTemp after
Driver Front69.373.2
Passenger Front69.874.1
Driver Rear67.174.1
Passenger Rear66.973

Does it make sense for the rotors to heat up at all if only regen for braking? This would imply to me either all the brake pads are misaligned, or none are. And I think it's unlikely that all would become misaligned immediately after the service appointment. Thoughts?
I wouldn't consider 69º to 73º indicative of a problem. It would be problematic If you saw one that was at 150º

Reactions: brkaus
I've had the exact same issue and have been hesitating bringing it because I'm afraid I'll get the nothing response from Tesla line you've had
Lost 30% range after new tires and half shaft replacement

Performance model x 2020 25k miles
I just had the service bulletin done for the half shaft replacement along with new tires in Oct 2022.

I noticed ia needing to charge more frequently... Then started paying attention to my watt's per mile.

Used to be 297wh\mile to 330 or so typically. Average was just over 300wh\mile since owning the car. Which matches the 330 mile range

Now it is almost 400wh\mil average and when I just pull out of the drive way, I've seen it jump to 1400 w\mile for the first mile. In chill mode. Range has gone to crap.

Any one know what might have happened? The service has been horrible at our Tesla dealer and in afraid of I put in a service visit it will be a long ride out there with no result.
Would love to go in with a recommendation for them.

Anytime else have this happen with new tires or the half shaft replacement. ? Side note, when I left the alignment was bad and had to return 2x for then to get it right. Not sure if that was related but add ing for detail.

I've had it aligned. It's not that. I'm in NC and temps are typically 60s , is not outside temperature. I've had the car for two years and this is definitely new

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
I've had the exact same issue and have been hesitating bringing it because I'm afraid I'll get the nothing response from Tesla line you've had
Lost 30% range after new tires and half shaft replacement

Performance model x 2020 25k miles
I just had the service bulletin done for the half shaft replacement along with new tires in Oct 2022.

I noticed ia needing to charge more frequently... Then started paying attention to my watt's per mile.

Used to be 297wh\mile to 330 or so typically. Average was just over 300wh\mile since owning the car. Which matches the 330 mile range

Now it is almost 400wh\mil average and when I just pull out of the drive way, I've seen it jump to 1400 w\mile for the first mile. In chill mode. Range has gone to crap.

Any one know what might have happened? The service has been horrible at our Tesla dealer and in afraid of I put in a service visit it will be a long ride out there with no result.
Would love to go in with a recommendation for them.

Anytime else have this happen with new tires or the half shaft replacement. ? Side note, when I left the alignment was bad and had to return 2x for then to get it right. Not sure if that was related but add ing for detail.

I've had it aligned. It's not that. I'm in NC and temps are typically 60s , is not outside temperature. I've had the car for two years and this is definitely new
I was never able to get it fixed. Service center kept saying that's in the EPA spec. Which it's obviously not. I'm tempted to just keep flooring it until the half shafts break again, get them fixed under warranty again, and see if that resolves it.

You would need the exact temperature of the battery , state of charge,wind resistance, elevation, vehicle speed , 12v draw , and climate settings just to name a few ..being exactly the same good luck with that
It doesn't need to be the exact same. When the difference is over 30% higher Wh/mile, there's a lot of leeway. You can almost tow a trailer at that difference.

Reactions: henderrj
Yup. It's part of the half shaft replacement. Plus I paid for another after I noticed the increase in Wh/mile. So this isn't it, unfortunately.
I just got my halfshafts and upper control arms replaced...spoke with the tech beforehand and no alignment is needed because there's no adjustment in the holes where things were unbolted to do said job. Receipt doesn't mention alignment either.