Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Increase in Wh/mile after halfshaft replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Hoping to get some advice here. I got the half shaft replacement about a month ago, and I've noticed the Wh/mile increase significantly after the replacement. Before - I would average 360-380 Wh/mile. After - averaging 500 Wh/mile. No change in load, driving style, etc. The service center has already run diagnostics and physically looked at it, but can't figure out what's wrong. I noticed the increase immediately on the drive back from the service center. It's been over 1000 miles since then, and still same issue. Anyone else had this happen?

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Hi folks. Hoping to get some advice here. I got the half shaft replacement about a month ago, and I've noticed the Wh/mile increase significantly after the replacement. Before - I would average 360-380 Wh/mile. After - averaging 500 Wh/mile. No change in load, driving style, etc. The service center has already run diagnostics and physically looked at it, but can't figure out what's wrong. I noticed the increase immediately on the drive back from the service center. It's been over 1000 miles since then, and still same issue. Anyone else had this happen?
What version of the car do you have? I usually get 240 to 270. The only time I go over 300 is if I am running continuously at 80 mph. My 2018 was not nearly as low as my 2022.

Did the align your car?

That's a good idea. How do I check? I assume it'd be one of the front brakes?
Just hold your hand near the rotors and see if you feel heat coming off of them. (Don't just touch them, as they could be hot.) I would check all four just to make sure.

They should all feel the same, which is pretty much no heat coming off of them. (Unless you used the brakes a lot.)

Reactions: sorka
Just hold your hand near the rotors and see if you feel heat coming off of them. (Don't just touch them, as they could be hot.) I would check all four just to make sure.

They should all feel the same, which is pretty much no heat coming off of them. (Unless you used the brakes a lot.)

Or just hit all 4 rotors with an IR gun after miles of not braking and check the temps. Use regen to stop completely.

Or just hit all 4 rotors with an IR gun after miles of not braking and check the temps. Use regen to stop completely.
Well, mine doesn't stop completely with Regen. Going to have to think about a route with a slight uphill at the end. In any case, I assume if it's the rotor, only one rotor will be misaligned, so if one is a lot hotter than the rest, I'll have something to point at.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well, mine doesn't stop completely with Regen. Going to have to think about a route with a slight uphill at the end. In any case, I assume if it's the rotor, only one rotor will be misaligned, so if one is a lot hotter than the rest, I'll have something to point at.

Just slow down then to the 4 mph or so with regen and then use the brakes. That won't heat the rotors more than a degree if even that.

It should be, but it's not part of the replacement. I had mine replaced and they did not align the car (dumb). They told me it was "extra" lol

Consulting the FSM and the labor guide, it appears to be true. Alignment is not part of the replacing the half shaft probably because the procedure doesn't require unbolting any suspension components at any of the alignment adjustment ends.

Reactions: m5james