Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Indiana Tesla owners and future owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously? The distance between Lafayette and the various SpChs in the Indy area just doesn't seem that long.
I know it, especially when the idea of Superchargers is for road trips. The N & NE side of Indy are set, time to expand.

Seems like they have a great relationship with Meijer, but I don't see any stores south of Camby or Franklin (after a 5 second search...).Their "coming soon" for Bloomington would make me think they at least have a location secured, but maybe not.

I'm sure a lot has to do with volume of cars sold and zip codes of the owners, etc. But hopefully things ramp up this year.

Seriously? The distance between Lafayette and the various SpChs in the Indy area just doesn't seem that long.

You’re right. However, going on I74 to/from Champaign IL SC is tight on batteries with 200 or so mile range. The trip computer yesterday had me cut across 32 into Lebanon and then south on I65 right by that SC. Would have been a nice stop to top off. I pushed on without stopping and got home in Fishers with a little under 30 miles to spare. People looking to shoot up north/northeast could use that stop as well.

I would agree we could do without the Carmel SC, but that’s where a lot of Tesla owners live in the area. I’m guessing the Carmel one is busy so they’re adding another to increase capacity and give options at the same time.

Really wish they’d get Bloomington done before summer!

You’re right. However, going on I74 to/from Champaign IL SC is tight on batteries with 200 or so mile range.
It'd be great to have one somewhere along I-74 between, say, IN-63 and Danville, IL. The SpCh in Champaign isn't super convenient for where we go when we're there (campus area), and in the summer we can usually do the round trip (from Lafayette) on one charge, but having a charger along the way would lessen anxiety and allow for just a quick "top up" if it starts getting dicey (as happens on super-cold winter trips).

Reactions: Hilbe
Welcome! These days there are enough Superchargers in and near Indiana that you can go pretty much anywhere with no worries. You won't really know what loving your Tesla is like until you do your first substantial road trip. :)

Except down 69 south. Wanted to go to Big Splash Adventure with the kids for Spring Break, but couldn’t figure out how to get home. At least Holiday World (closed) has a solution. I emailed the BSA team the suggestion to get some destination chargers.

RoherHScott, how easy is it for you to spot other Teslas in the Lafayette area these days? I'd imagine Purdue being there would help.

I recall walking through downtown Lafayette a year ago and seeing a Model 3 (back when 3's were hard to come by) and being pleasantly surprised. I should be back there again next week to see how things have changed.

RoherHScott, how easy is it for you to spot other Teslas in the Lafayette area these days? I'd imagine Purdue being there would help.

I recall walking through downtown Lafayette a year ago and seeing a Model 3 (back when 3's were hard to come by) and being pleasantly surprised. I should be back there again next week to see how things have changed.
It's funny. For a while it seemed like I was seeing them increasingly often, but then that at least leveled off if not outright declined. Of course, it's possible with time I've just become less observant, but it is pretty hard to miss a Tesla among all of those other quotidian cars out there :)

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Except down 69 south. Wanted to go to Big Splash Adventure with the kids for Spring Break, but couldn’t figure out how to get home. At least Holiday World (closed) has a solution. I emailed the BSA team the suggestion to get some destination chargers.
What's "convenient", of course, depends on your car's range. And, as all of us Midwestern Tesla owners are painfully aware, weather conditions. You just know if Tesla were based in Chicago rather than Palo Alto it'd be a rather different car.

Reactions: Nomad
What's "convenient", of course, depends on your car's range. And, as all of us Midwestern Tesla owners are painfully aware, weather conditions. You just know if Tesla were based in Chicago rather than Palo Alto it'd be a rather different car.

Try to plot a trip to Holiday World or Big Splash Adventure using your car or abetterrouteplanner.com. It’s a dead zone down in Southwest Indiana. Only way to get back is pray you can get to 1.5 hours east to Louisville and charge back up again to head North to Indy. Your car will struggle no matter the range just because there’s nothing there. Bloomington and Evansville superchargers are long overdue.

Try to plot a trip to Holiday World or Big Splash Adventure using your car or abetterrouteplanner.com. It’s a dead zone down in Southwest Indiana. Only way to get back is pray you can get to 1.5 hours east to Louisville and charge back up again to head North to Indy. Your car will struggle no matter the range just because there’s nothing there. Bloomington and Evansville superchargers are long overdue.

Does anybody have experience with the availability of the Tesla destination chargers at holiday world on a busy summer day ? This would be a great solution for the lack of charging stations in the area but I’m nervous all maybe taken by the time I get there and then I am stuck.

Separately, is anyone aware of the type of electrical outlets available at Turkey run State Park in the electric campsites? I couldn’t find this information online.

I had but nothing listed. But the sites have electrical hence asking if anyone here knows.
I looked on www.RVparky.com--It's sorta like plugshare, but for RV camping/tripping--which said there was 50 Amp service (i.e. NEMA 14-50 receptacles). But I didn't read the reviews/check-ins which would likely give a fuller description of the exact services and their layout, as well as any access challenges, problems, or inconveniences routinely encountered in accessing them.

Unless I stop by Meijer and supercharge while doing some grocery shopping, the maximum number of Teslas I've seen in a day is three. There is occasionally another Model 3 parked in my work parking lot, but there are multiple tenants in my office building and I've yet to figure out who it is. We need more Teslas in the area! :)

Reactions: Araman0