Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inexpensive window tint shop in Bay Area (SF)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unbelievable. 30 years ago, a tinting job was about $120. Last one I did was on my 2016 honda Odyssey 3 years ago for $200. I never gave it a shxt what film or what features as long as it is as dark as I want. Now they come up with all the gimmicks and they could charge up to $600 - $700 and you guys are still happy to pay?? This market is becoming very lucrative and the shop I called didn't even have a opening until Dec (4 months from now). Are you kidding me? I need to open a tinting shop now! Are Tesla owners that dumb or it is for all cars?

BTW, what makes Model 3 so difficult to tint? The rear window? Why? Some shops I called did not even want to touch them.

Yep, it's almost all marketing. The Model 3 takes about a hour to tint. Most places don't wanna tint it because the rear requires a full roll and most shops stock smaller sizes because those sizes will tint about 95% of all other cars.

Well... not exactly Bay Area. Vacaville.
Found a pretty inexpensive shop w pretty good workmanship near my work . High Yelp rating. Shop is called Protective Window Films. Got mine done with one piece rear, front and back sides for around $380. Back three would have been low $300. Also got my wife's MS for less than $200. They use Suntek carbon. They do offer premium materials but I didn't want to spend extra for IR. Seems unnecessary. Instead, I did every windows except front windshield. Definitely makes car look sharp. Very sharp. Bottom pic is before tint.
Anyways, if you don't want to spend crazy amount of money on tint, check them out.

View attachment 300539 View attachment 300540 View attachment 300541 View attachment 300542
Any issues with reception autopilot or keyless entry. Assuming you went with Metallic?

+1 for Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore, CA. Best price within the bay area and the owner has been doing tinting for decades and is passionate about it. Took about 3-4 hours

$550 for side windows and 1 piece back window. I did 50% front side windows and 30% rear side and back windows

WOW! Before I go any further, I am aware that I am referencing some older posts, but I just saw this thread for the 1st time and had to respond.

No, Tesla owners are not Dumb to spend more on their window tint than you did on your minivan. You said you didn't care about anything other than making the windows darker. Typically, Tesla owners do a LOT of research before choosing a shop and the care a lot about more aspects of the film than just making the windows dark. They care about the level of expertise the film is installed with. They care about blocking as much Infrared Heat and UV as possible. Most of my Tesla owners actually don't want their windows to be super dark. They like to be able to see easily and not look like they are hiding anything in their cars.

You could not be more wrong about the reasons for window tint costing more being just clever marketing and gimmicks? Seriously? I've been a window tinter for almost 20 years. It is a skilled trade, not just a product. Just like cars, material has evolved and improved a lot in the last 20 years. You need to know more details about these car than ever before or you'll cause major damage. You spend $70k+ on a car and want to cheap out on the tint. Maybe you should have bought a cheaper car or just buy the tint and do it yourself if you don't think it isn't that hard. It takes me 2-3 hours to tint a Model 3, from start to finish. For a Honda Accord, a little over an hour.

When you remodel your kitchen with all new appliances, lighting, and flooring, would you get new formica countertops?

Suntek Carbon is a cosmetic film and only gives UV block and privacy. Barely helps with heat block at all. A Model S has it's own challenges but still doesn't take as long to tint as the 3. Is it "unnecessary" to actually get a more energy efficient film? If you don't care about blocking heat, then you're right.

We now sell Ceramic tint exclusively at our shop because of the heat blocking properties and visual clarity.

We do need to stock bigger (60 inch) rolls for JUST the back glass of the Model 3. ALL other cars require 40 inch rolls or smaller. We stock 4 different shades for our Model 3 clients. At over $1000 per roll, per shade, I have to now spend over $4000 to have the options on the shelf. Compare that to "standard" (non-ceramic) tint of 15 years ago, you could get "decent" film for $150 per roll and be able to tint nearly any car on the road. If your spending limit is $250 for a tint job based on no facts to justify it, there are lots of lower end shops that will be happy to take your money. Good luck. Maybe those shops will sell you some chrome spinner rims and gold plate your emblems too?

I am constantly shocked to hear people that get new cars, especially higher end cars, that seek the "cheapest" deal. Why have a nice car and only aim for "decent/good". Being frugal is one thing, but don't try to justify being a cheapskate and create these theories about the window tint films not being worth it. If you can't afford it or can't justify it, then just don't get it done.

Lastly, Ceramic Films do not interfere with cell phone, GPS or any other signal. Metalized films that was developed 15 or so years ago might have interfered, but it was rare.

WOW! Before I go any further, I am aware that I am referencing some older posts, but I just saw this thread for the 1st time and had to respond.

No, Tesla owners are not Dumb to spend more on their window tint than you did on your minivan. You said you didn't care about anything other than making the windows darker. Typically, Tesla owners do a LOT of research before choosing a shop and the care a lot about more aspects of the film than just making the windows dark. They care about the level of expertise the film is installed with. They care about blocking as much Infrared Heat and UV as possible. Most of my Tesla owners actually don't want their windows to be super dark. They like to be able to see easily and not look like they are hiding anything in their cars.

You could not be more wrong about the reasons for window tint costing more being just clever marketing and gimmicks? Seriously? I've been a window tinter for almost 20 years. It is a skilled trade, not just a product. Just like cars, material has evolved and improved a lot in the last 20 years. You need to know more details about these car than ever before or you'll cause major damage. You spend $70k+ on a car and want to cheap out on the tint. Maybe you should have bought a cheaper car or just buy the tint and do it yourself if you don't think it isn't that hard. It takes me 2-3 hours to tint a Model 3, from start to finish. For a Honda Accord, a little over an hour.

When you remodel your kitchen with all new appliances, lighting, and flooring, would you get new formica countertops?

Suntek Carbon is a cosmetic film and only gives UV block and privacy. Barely helps with heat block at all. A Model S has it's own challenges but still doesn't take as long to tint as the 3. Is it "unnecessary" to actually get a more energy efficient film? If you don't care about blocking heat, then you're right.

We now sell Ceramic tint exclusively at our shop because of the heat blocking properties and visual clarity.

We do need to stock bigger (60 inch) rolls for JUST the back glass of the Model 3. ALL other cars require 40 inch rolls or smaller. We stock 4 different shades for our Model 3 clients. At over $1000 per roll, per shade, I have to now spend over $4000 to have the options on the shelf. Compare that to "standard" (non-ceramic) tint of 15 years ago, you could get "decent" film for $150 per roll and be able to tint nearly any car on the road. If your spending limit is $250 for a tint job based on no facts to justify it, there are lots of lower end shops that will be happy to take your money. Good luck. Maybe those shops will sell you some chrome spinner rims and gold plate your emblems too?

I am constantly shocked to hear people that get new cars, especially higher end cars, that seek the "cheapest" deal. Why have a nice car and only aim for "decent/good". Being frugal is one thing, but don't try to justify being a cheapskate and create these theories about the window tint films not being worth it. If you can't afford it or can't justify it, then just don't get it done.

Lastly, Ceramic Films do not interfere with cell phone, GPS or any other signal. Metalized films that was developed 15 or so years ago might have interfered, but it was rare.
What do you think of the SunTek ceramic?

I think XPEL XR PRIME PLUS is extremely good. The clarity and heat blocking properties are top notch. I'm not 1 to bad mouth other companies, shops, or films. I can simply say I am extremely happy with offering my clients XPEL films.
Well I put SunTek ceramic on the rear window to try and block as much heat as possible from the rear facing seats.

However I’m looking for the top of the line for the windshield.
Can I go to your shop for that?

Rear facing seats? Model S, I assume. :)
Yes, we can definitely take care of your windshield with our film. I know we are little bit if a drive for you. But we're worth it.
I have a small star on my windshield. Do I need to get that fixed first?
Yes model S. Wrong thread but I was looking around Vacaville.
Have to go to placerville soon so figure I could stop by. Good price I hope :)

I agree with 95% of what you said but you may want to check your data on SunTek film.

When Steve and his daughter Jennifer owned and ran Suntek, it was great. Steve sold the company and it hasn't been the same. My information about their Carbon series film is accurate. Back then (2003-2006), they hired me to do demonstrations in their booth at SEMA.

Compare a 18% Suntek carbon to my XPEL XR PRIME PLUS IS 20%...

Suntek Total Solar Energy Rejected (TSER) is 44% and no IR blocking. Even their ceramic 20% has a 58% TSER and only 58% IR blocking. (From their website)

Our film, in the 20% shade has a TSER of 66% and 97% IR blocking.

I didn't give any information or opinions on their ceramic films before.

When Steve and his daughter Jennifer owned and ran Suntek, it was great. Steve sold the company and it hasn't been the same. My information about their Carbon series film is accurate. Back then (2003-2006), they hired me to do demonstrations in their booth at SEMA.

Compare a 18% Suntek carbon to my XPEL XR PRIME PLUS IS 20%...

Suntek Total Solar Energy Rejected (TSER) is 44% and no IR blocking. Even their ceramic 20% has a 58% TSER and only 58% IR blocking. (From their website)

Our film, in the 20% shade has a TSER of 66% and 97% IR blocking.

I didn't give any information or opinions on their ceramic films before.
Ah ok, I just got their Cermamic film. It sounded like you were saying SunTek doesn’t do anything for heat.

Reactions: Premiertint
You spend $70k+ on a car and want to cheap out on the tint. Maybe you should have bought a cheaper car or just buy the tint and do it yourself if you don't think it isn't that hard. It takes me 2-3 hours to tint a Model 3, from start to finish. For a Honda Accord, a little over an hour. When you remodel your kitchen with all new appliances, lighting, and flooring, would you get new formica countertops?

If your spending limit is $250 for a tint job based on no facts to justify it, there are lots of lower end shops that will be happy to take your money. Good luck. Maybe those shops will sell you some chrome spinner rims and gold plate your emblems too? I am constantly shocked to hear people that get new cars, especially higher end cars, that seek the "cheapest" deal. Why have a nice car and only aim for "decent/good". Being frugal is one thing, but don't try to justify being a cheapskate and create these theories about the window tint films not being worth it. If you can't afford it or can't justify it, then just don't get it done.

After reading your response, I would never use your service or recommend it to any friends and other Tesla owners. :cool:

Now I feel really bad. I don’t know what I was thinking. I totally forgot that I own two Teslas. I will never shop at Costco, Target, and outlet malls anymore. That’s for commoners. I am going to replace all my wardrobes with Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, and Hermès. Need more blings to match my cars. I need to hire a butler very soon. I just cannot do my own laundry anymore. Tomorrow, I am going to take my car to the best window tint shop and replace tints that can 100% block UV, IR, heat, and all kind of radiations. Better yet, I should just trade my Teslas and get Lambo and Ferrari.
Kids college education and retirement plannings are over rated.

Now I feel really bad. I don’t know what I was thinking. I totally forgot that I own two Teslas. I will never shop at Costco, Target, and outlet malls anymore. That’s for commoners. I am going to replace all my wardrobes with Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, and Hermès. Need more blings to match my cars. I need to hire a butler very soon. I just cannot do my own laundry anymore. Tomorrow, I am going to take my car to the best window tint shop and replace tints that can 100% block UV, IR, heat, and all kind of radiations. Better yet, I should just trade my Teslas and get Lambo and Ferrari.
Kids college education and retirement plannings are over rated.

So true... :cool: