Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infinite Mile Battery Warranty [Now] Being Honored By Tesla [Issue Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the purchase of a new Tesla vehicle, as the battery pack is highly unlikely to fail at the eight year mark, and Tesla has another eight years from now to reduce the cost of replacement battery packs.

However, with replacement packs still at $25k, purchasing an older, used Model S is sort of rolling the dice. I'd like to see Tesla lower this to closer to $15k in the near future if possible, as that would still give them over $150/kWh at the pack level which would hopefully cover their costs. Ultimately, a replacement pack cost under $10k would help to support the market for used Teslas and give more people the confidence to buy new Teslas.
My #1 fear is that folks who aren’t rich will stop considering the purchase of a new or used Tesla, period. Tesla’s mission was to make EV driving widely adopted and affordable for the masses, but 99% of the masses don’t have a spare $25k. Many of my non-rich friends (which is all of them) were considering my selling point of Tesla’s low operating costs (2-3 cents per mile for electricity). That’s out the window if I have to explain it’s generally 2-3 times cheaper per mile to operate versus their ICE vehicle...unless the battery fails, and then it’s WAY more expensive and might require a 2nd mortgage (on top of the car payment). I’m not so worried about my situation, but I’m thinking this could be a fatal blow to adoption by the masses if/when stories such as the OP’s hits the newsfeed. This single, crazy high cost item could be Tesla’s true Achilles heel if they can’t get that replacement price way down. :(

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the purchase of a new Tesla vehicle, as the battery pack is highly unlikely to fail at the eight year mark, and Tesla has another eight years from now to reduce the cost of replacement battery packs.

However, with replacement packs still at $25k, purchasing an older, used Model S is sort of rolling the dice. I'd like to see Tesla lower this to closer to $15k in the near future if possible, as that would still give them over $150/kWh at the pack level which would hopefully cover their costs. Ultimately, a replacement pack cost under $10k would help to support the market for used Teslas and give more people the confidence to buy new Teslas.
Even if Tesla can make the pack for less, there is little reason for them to pass the savings to the consumer. You have already purchased a car, and they hold the monopoly on the battery which is required to make your car run. Unless battery replacement is common enough that the cost becomes a factor when people decide what car to buy, I would have no expectation for Tesla to reduce replacement battery price.

Even if Tesla can make the pack for less, there is little reason for them to pass the savings to the consumer. You have already purchased a car, and they hold the monopoly on the battery which is required to make your car run. Unless battery replacement is common enough that the cost becomes a factor when people decide what car to buy, I would have no expectation for Tesla to reduce replacement battery price.
If battery pack replacements prove to be rare for out-of-warranty cars, then I agree that Tesla might have less incentive to reduce prices. However, even then, keeping costs reasonable would provide comfort to prospective buyers.

Perhaps another option for someone needing a new pack could be to obtain one from a salvaged car. I don't know what this would involve, however.

I would assume this kind of thinking from most businesses too... so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume Tesla would also be thinking somewhere along this line.

However I think it is also because of this kind of thinking and also given Tesla's track record of bad support for out of warranty cars (salvage/rebuilt etc etc) we will also see the spawn of 3rd party repairs like we are starting to see now and possibly later on 3rd party manufactured parts like we actually do see for ICE vehicles... and perhaps the possibility of 3rd party manufactured batteries or rebuilt/refurb batteries

If battery pack replacements prove to be rare for out-of-warranty cars, then I agree that Tesla might have less incentive to reduce prices. However, even then, keeping costs reasonable would provide comfort to prospective buyers.

Perhaps another option for someone needing a new pack could be to obtain one from a salvaged car. I don't know what this would involve, however.

Must not be easy to do or a great idea as Tesla OEM Parts | Products | HSR Motors doesn't list full packs, just modules. Poking around the site it doesn't look like he's advertising pack replacement in actual out of warranty Tesla's yet.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
Maybe you will understand one day if your car has a significant battery loss from your normal and says you have 16 or more miles remaining that leaves you stranded on the side of the highway.

If I keep my Tesla for 240k miles and I can get 150 miles range, I would keep that as a great commuter car, and not lose sleep over these issues. That’s just me.

Your car is now worth $25k or less. Cheaper than a Nissan Leaf but much more mileage and a bigger car.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
One thing is that you also got to be a nice person in order to get good service. One time I dropped my M3 at a Tesla service center and was waiting for a loaner. The guy in line before me was being a real *ss with the Tesla employee. "I want a Model S loaner, not a Cadillac. You should have more Teslas!". He didn't want the Cadillac (poor thing!) and stalled the process for 10 mins, being a real burden for everyone.
He finally took the Cadillac and left.
Then it was my turn. I waited patiently, I didn't ask for anything specific. The Tesla employee looked on the computer, said "I have a Model S that just got all ready for you". I smiled and I happily drove back home with a Model S loaner. :)
Just being a normal, decent person sometimes goes a long way.

As a Texas attorney familiar with consumer law, if you believe that you have a valid claim against Tesla, go see one of many qualified Houston area attorneys who can advise you of your rights. You can start by looking up board certified consumer law attorneys in the Harris County Bar Association. Some potential causes of action are as follows: Breach of Contract, Breach of Express or Implied warranty, Deceptive Trade Practices, Fraud, Fraud in the Inducement, etc.
If you meet with the attorney and s/he tells you that you are wasting your time, then at least you have gone to a professional for advice and obtained information rather that just posting and ranting to laypersons who also happen to own Teslas. Which method do you think will fix your problem quicker?

There has to be more to the story. There are many people who have gotten a replacement battery without much hesitation from Tesla. If you happen to be in the Los Angeles area, I can plug in my CAN bus reader and have a look at the battery and BMS. My guess is that some cells or a module is failing. THat's not degradation, that's a defect that should be covered by the warranty.

There should be a "most helpful and good natured post of the month" category on the forum. You didn't post snarky comments about caps and supported a member of the community. I nominate for "most helpful" award.

And btw, can you post the model/brand etc of your "CAN bus reader"? I would buy whatever software/hardware needed to be able to read about my car's battery.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Seven7 and David99
As a Texas attorney familiar with consumer law, if you believe that you have a valid claim against Tesla, go see one of many qualified Houston area attorneys who can advise you of your rights. You can start by looking up board certified consumer law attorneys in the Harris County Bar Association. Some potential causes of action are as follows: Breach of Contract, Breach of Express or Implied warranty, Deceptive Trade Practices, Fraud, Fraud in the Inducement, etc.
If you meet with the attorney and s/he tells you that you are wasting your time, then at least you have gone to a professional for advice and obtained information rather that just posting and ranting to laypersons who also happen to own Teslas. Which method do you think will fix your problem quicker?

As a matter of fact, posting on the forum about problems with service centers has solved thousands of problems for owners. Tesla reads these and they respond when a bad problems surfaces. It was a great idea for him/her to post. Your suggestion of consulting an attorney is good, but should be an absolute last resort. Ranting on a forum is first resort. People who have faced common issues respond and help you and sometimes Tesla gets involved from higher up. Its one of the main reasons the TMC exists.

I TOLD THEM THAT I HAVE READ IN OTHER ARTICLES THAT BATTERIES HAVE BEEN REPLACED FOR THE SAME ISSUES THAT I AM HAVING BUT THE RESPONSE I GOT WAS STILL THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE THE BATTERY

Did those other batteries have 239K miles? If the battery has major degradation after 50K miles that's totally different than after 239K miles. The warranty is covering battery failure and unusual degradation. The fact Tesla is offering you a discounted replacement seems more than fair. Expecting a new battery after 239K miles seems totally unreasonable.

Have you see the "RichRebuilds" youtube channel? He advocates strongly for Tesla owners to be able to work on their own cars. Why can't we buy a battery from a junk yard and have a local shop put it in? That's what you do for any other car if you don't want to pay full price for a new engine/whatever. If Tesla's mission is truly to make EVs commonplace they should stand behind the battery and owners, and make battery concerns a non-issue. Supplying rebuilt packs to local repair shops would do this.

Reactions: HMARTINPT
Did those other batteries have 239K miles? If the battery has major degradation after 50K miles that's totally different than after 239K miles. The warranty is covering battery failure and unusual degradation. The fact Tesla is offering you a discounted replacement seems more than fair. Expecting a new battery after 239K miles seems totally unreasonable.

From Tesloop

Then, just as the car hit 200,000 miles, the range estimator became inaccurate. Though the car didn’t actually lose any range, the estimator would say it could go another ten milesand then power down. Tesla looked into the issue, and told Tesloop that there’s a battery chemistry state that high-mileage cars go into, and the software isn’t properly compensating for that change. There will be a firmware update in three months that will take care of the discrepancy, but Tesla just replaced the battery to solve the problem. “We got our 6% range back with the new battery,” Sonnad said with a laugh. “But had the firmware been updated, we’d be fine and plugging along.”

Is it fair to do this only for high profile customers then?

That would be my issue in this matter, Tesloop had far less degradation, albeit in a shorter timeframe but Tesla just replaced the battery for the exact same reason as the OP is complaining about.

Tesloop Supercharged DAILY to 100% so seems they were much harder on the battery than any normal owner could possibly be and were rewarded for this behavior.

Seems that the precedent was set by Tesla and this just looks bad if the average Joe gets different treatment, Just my take.

I had similar significant loss of range from day one when I bought my used 2014 S with ~30,000 miles on it. To me that suggested there absolutely had to be something wrong, but Tesla insisted it is totally my fault. They wouldn't replace it, even with offering to pay for it. My only option was to get the battery replaced on my own by HSR, who said there was a bad shunt and definitely could have been replaced/repaired. Now as a result of the situation Tesla forced me into to begin with, I can't get the car serviced at all.

They definitely need to change these policies, unless their way of promoting EV's is making sure every Tesla plummets to under $20,000 value after a few years.