Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inflationary Price Increase coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$62,900 Model Y AWD LR is sold out to the end of the year, unless you move up in line by spending $12,000 more for FSD option. Who's to say Tesla is wrong? Less expensive AWD SR+ is in the works to help with those wanting lower price. It may get LFP batteries to deal with skyrocketing nickel, cobalt and Manganese costs. Tesla has hedged by lining up LFP production availability.
Not what I see. Still available in October and your lower cost SR is an assumption.

Reactions: advocate8
You can get a nice EV6 now for about $55,000 less a $7,500 tax credit, about $15,000 less than a Model Y.
That's all marketing -- EV6 is not a real SUV its interior height, cargo space is very much like a Model 3, and not even close to a Model Y. If Model 3 becomes a hatchback, no one will call EV6 a SUV anymore.

Perhaps a VW ID.4 is a better comparison for an SUV-like feel, but it is not hard to see the differences between MY ans ID4

I hope Kia/Hyundai/Volvo make a more "old school" SUV on their EV platforms soon (and sooner than R1S starts to appear on the roads).

Reactions: WhiteWi
That's all marketing -- EV6 is not a real SUV its interior height, cargo space is very much like a Model 3, and not even close to a Model Y. If Model 3 becomes a hatchback, no one will call EV6 a SUV anymore.

Perhaps a VW ID.4 is a better comparison for an SUV-like feel, but it is not hard to see the differences between MY ans ID4

I hope Kia/Hyundai/Volvo make a more "old school" SUV on their EV platforms soon (and sooner than R1S starts to appear on the roads).
I agree. All the other EVs are in between a sedan and SUV. I am guessing that it was their only choice of building an EV based on the ICE platform/chassis. If they build on a SUV platform, their efficiency will tank even lower due to weight/height/drag, etc. So, they had to use the sedan platform and put the battery at the bottom and try to maintain the interior volume, hence the "in-between" looking "neither" design.

Elon is crazy like a fox and smarter than everyone. He can raise the price on the current versions of Y's because demand is there. Meanwhile, develop a better/cheaper to produce battery and introduce it in a 'standard' range Y $10-15,000 below current LR version. Sales for it will blow up and THAT is what Giga Texas will build initially. Tesla and Musk are going to own the world.

Exactly! Elon/Tesla are not oblivious to the EV6/ID4/Ioniqs of the world and that Americal customers want something that looks like a SUV and a bit cheaper --- the cheaper MY AWD with LFP with its 275-ish range (like M3RWD) hits the newcomers hard, especially if priced at the $50Kish average price range. That will also force Kia/Hyundai to reduce prices to the $40K range --- who is is paying Tesla money for a Kia/Hyundai?

That will leave the new EVs a very uphill battle to fight. And in a sense, could be detrimental for the EV revolution in general.

Having owned a lot of Audis in my life, there is a huge difference between Audi and Tesla as a brand. Buying a $65K SQ5 Prestige will get you a true luxury sport SUV with a solid fit, finish and ride and high quality interior. Obviously the 0-60 performance and technology won't match Tesla, but their digital cockpit display is beautiful. I do agree that their $30 a month data rates for Google maps and connected services is ridiculous and idiotic.
You'll also see a difference in how you're treated after the sale. With Tesla, their customer service is non-existent and service is hit or miss. Audi and all of the true luxury brands spend a considerable amount of time and money on customer service and retention.

The Model Y is not a $60k+ plus vehicle. All of the vehicles in Tesla's lineup are overpriced, but they have done a great job at being 1st to market with widescale EVs and Elon has done a great job selling and creating a cult following. The realists know that it won't last the way it's going. Tesla will need to re-evaluate their prices and customer service once there's more competition. The pandemic was a saving grace for Tesla. If not for the pandemic I think Rivian and Lucid would have been able to produce more vehicles undercutting Tesla's market share.
So Kairide, I have to ask.... I've been an audi fanatic my entire life (owned 9) and it was very hard for me to make the decision to move to Tesla for the reasons you stated. I sold my Audi 2 weeks ago and am in a rental, waiting for my MYP. My question is, how do you feel about Tesla now that you are in one? Do you miss Audi?

So Kairide, I have to ask.... I've been an audi fanatic my entire life (owned 9) and it was very hard for me to make the decision to move to Tesla for the reasons you stated. I sold my Audi 2 weeks ago and am in a rental, waiting for my MYP. My question is, how do you feel about Tesla now that you are in one? Do you miss Audi?
I have to admit I like my 2019 Model S more than I thought I would when I originally ordered it 3 years ago. And I am eagerly awaiting my Model Y. The tech and performance of the Tesla can't be matched by an ICE Audi. But, I still feel Audi offers more for your money. Tesla doesn't come close to Audi when it comes to looks, fit and finish, ride quality and especially customer service.
All Teslas from the Plaid to Performance versions of the Y and 3 are built for straight line performance. Audi loses the 0-60 performance, but their AWD systems and suspension setups are better when the roads get twisty. To me that's more fun than just going in a straight line really fast all the time.

If it were up to me, I'd be buying an RS3 not a Y for $60k. But the other half has a 60% ownership in car making decisions lol.

You won’t miss ice cars once you go full electric with Tesla.

I have to admit I like my 2019 Model S more than I thought I would when I originally ordered it 3 years ago. And I am eagerly awaiting my Model Y. The tech and performance of the Tesla can't be matched by an ICE Audi. But, I still feel Audi offers more for your money. Tesla doesn't come close to Audi when it comes to looks, fit and finish, ride quality and especially customer service.
All Teslas from the Plaid to Performance versions of the Y and 3 are built for straight line performance. Audi loses the 0-60 performance, but their AWD systems and suspension setups are better when the roads get twisty. To me that's more fun than just going in a straight line really fast all the time.

If it were up to me, I'd be buying an RS3 not a Y for $60k. But the other half has a 60% ownership in car making decisions lol.
Thanks and good to know that you still love Tesla regardless of what it's lacking after owning multiple Audis. That was my worst fear and why I waited so long to enter the world of Tesla, but lately I've been feeling better about it and am actually super excited to get my MYP. I can really use CAMP mode (I work overnight every week and would have a place to sleep) etc., so there are some other reasons making me excited! Hopefully one day Audi can catch up to the tech portion and I'm sure I will go back if it did because the intricate details that audi puts into their interior and ambient lighting is so fitting for me. The thing is Elon is willing to take risks and is not afraid of introducing things nobody has introduced before (like CAMP mode) and so I don't know that companies like Audi, etc., will truly realize how valuable all of this is and implement it in their cars. Time will tell.

You won’t miss ice cars once you go full electric with Tesla.
I wasn't planning to stay ICE. I actually had an Audi Q4 etron on order, but it was one of the cars that fell into the ocean on that ship carrying 4000 vehicles recently. Because of this they told me that I would have to wait until July or so to get the car, and it would be marked up $20K. So yeah, no ICE for me anymore. I was specifically asking about missing the qualities that Audi possesses, that would be in etrons as well.

I wasn't planning to stay ICE. I actually had an Audi Q4 etron on order, but it was one of the cars that fell into the ocean on that ship carrying 4000 vehicles recently. Because of this they told me that I would have to wait until July or so to get the car, and it would be marked up $20K. So yeah, no ICE for me anymore. I was specifically asking about missing the qualities that Audi possesses, that would be in etrons as well.
I don’t miss my Q7 tdi at all

So there actually some Q4s on the way to the USA? I thought they weren't close to arriving yet. Would be cool to see one in person soon.

The MYP has fit me remarkably well, much more than I imagined before taking delivery, but I would not blindly recommend Tesla to everyone either. For example I steered my wife toward a Q4 sportback, but when we found out it will most likely be over a year out, we pivoted to a Volvo C40 (great car). I recently took my mom to test drive an Audi etron and she decided to buy it. I wouldn't recommend a Tesla for either of them despite how much I love mine. I just think different people will appreciate different things.

• Love
Reactions: Kairide and robeeen
So there actually some Q4s on the way to the USA? I thought they weren't close to arriving yet. Would be cool to see one in person soon.

The MYP has fit me remarkably well, much more than I imagined before taking delivery, but I would not blindly recommend Tesla to everyone either. For example I steered my wife toward a Q4 sportback, but when we found out it will most likely be over a year out, we pivoted to a Volvo C40 (great car). I recently took my mom to test drive an Audi etron and she decided to buy it. I wouldn't recommend a Tesla for either of them despite how much I love mine. I just think different people will appreciate different things.
Makes sense. Yes some Q4's were on this ship, including my order :( Sad death for a car that is being waited upon by many.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
Exactly! Elon/Tesla are not oblivious to the EV6/ID4/Ioniqs of the world and that Americal customers want something that looks like a SUV and a bit cheaper --- the cheaper MY AWD with LFP with its 275-ish range (like M3RWD) hits the newcomers hard, especially if priced at the $50Kish average price range. That will also force Kia/Hyundai to reduce prices to the $40K range --- who is is paying Tesla money for a Kia/Hyundai?

That will leave the new EVs a very uphill battle to fight. And in a sense, could be detrimental for the EV revolution in general.
it would be priced at prob $56K-58K and no tax credit.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
I hope you are wrong because something in $50-55K would be nicer 😀 (Who wouldn't want that??).That would create a nice toss up between range v/s space: M3LR 358 miles or MY with 279 miles.

But that will most likely dent M3 orders a little bit, so most likely your price range may be more realistic 😭

maybe I'm the minority here... but anything under ~310 miles of range is utterly useless for road trips.

Also a $55k Model Y with 279 miles of range would compete against a cheaper ID.4 with 280 miles of range.

1) there's no way Tesla would price a 280 mile Model Y RWD a whopping ($10k) below the 330 mile Model Y AWD
2) the ID.4 Pro with 280 miles of range *starts* at $42k including destination charge - but *before* the full $7,500 tax rebate ... meaning ... even a well configured ID.4 Pro will be over ($10k) cheaper than a Model Y RWD hypothetically priced around $50k ish in your scenario ... that is a lot of savings for an EV with comparable range and won't hit the newcomers hard...

maybe I'm the minority here... but anything under ~310 miles of range is utterly useless for road trips.

I'm trying to think of the nicest way to put this.. that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing.. I have ever read on this forum.

Take a good look at how long it actually takes to complete a 1000km (600 mile) road trip with some of the most popular EV's sold today. The thing that jumps out to me most is that 60kWh LFP powered Model 3 Standard Range (aka the cheapest car Tesla sells).. can complete the entire 600mile trip INCLUDING stopping to charge the battery.. and it only takes 20mins longer than the "330mile" Model Y LR.

Are you really trying to say an EV that takes 20mins longer.. to drive 600 miles is somehow useless?

1648487047581.png

Last edited: