Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infographic - Charging your Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably been asked before and numerous times but can you help?
Many businesses around this area have 3 phase 4 pin outlets. What would be required to enable a 3 phase 5 pin Maxicharger plug to hook up? Does the premises need a complete re-wire for that outlet, an added earth cable installed, a cable made with 4 pin one end 5 pin the other or something else as I have no idea.

I promised to drop a line into the forum for those of us flying into or out of Tullamarine. After some encouragement Jetport Valet Parking has fitted 2 charger stations- see below: I can recommend the staff at Jetport as they have been caring for my beast since it first arrived in Jan 15. They are also experienced with driving the vehicle as well as organising chargeups. The pendents have a 32A 240V status ( 7.6kwhr ) rating. Ive also suggested they register with Plugshare.

Jetport1.jpg
Jetport2.jpg
Jetport3.jpg

evnomics has for sell two 3 phase tails for the UMC. A 20amp and a 32amp tail. Plus an offer for both.

Why would you want the 32amp tail? My understanding is that a 20amp plug will fit into a 32amp socket, and you will only get 16amps with the UMC anyway. Am I right?

evnomics has for sell two 3 phase tails for the UMC. A 20amp and a 32amp tail. Plus an offer for both.

Why would you want the 32amp tail? My understanding is that a 20amp plug will fit into a 32amp socket, and you will only get 16amps with the UMC anyway. Am I right?
20 AMP plug won't go in a 32 AMP socket - different shaped plastic shell.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
20 AMP plug won't go in a 32 AMP socket - different shaped plastic shell.

Oh, ok, I probably misunderstood something then. Are there any side by side photos online comparing the two sockets?

So looking at plugshare, probably more useful to get the 32amp connector, right? It looks like it doesn't even have 20amp listed as an option.

Evnomics sell lots of things, some of which go to 32A like the J1772 adapter on single phase and the Maxicharger on 3 phase.

From J1772 to Type 2 Adapter - Rated 32A:

Important note: because of how Tesla have wired their onboard charger, if you DON'T have the "dual charger" option, the maximum you'll be able to get is NORMALLY 16A from a J1772 station, EVEN IF that station is rated for higher. If you have dual chargers, you'll be able to get 30A. BUT - we've found a way to ensure you get the full 30A, even if you have single chargers!

That last bit is a bit curious, I think the only way to get more power then available in onboard chargers is by feeding DC power to the car, however the only way (AFAIK) to do that is with Tesla superchargers or CHAdeMO chargers.

Oh, ok, I probably misunderstood something then. Are there any side by side photos online comparing the two sockets?

So looking at plugshare, probably more useful to get the 32amp connector, right? It looks like it doesn't even have 20amp listed as an option.

From J1772 to Type 2 Adapter - Rated 32A:

That last bit is a bit curious, I think the only way to get more power then available in onboard chargers is by feeding DC power to the car, however the only way (AFAIK) to do that is with Tesla superchargers or CHAdeMO chargers.
What he means there is the "other" J1772 adapters put half of the power to each charger but his adapters stuff all the electric into the first (only) charger. Works well. I had an "other" cable and his. His got 30AMP and the other 15AMP.

What he means there is the "other" J1772 adapters put half of the power to each charger but his adapters stuff all the electric into the first (only) charger. Works well. I had an "other" cable and his. His got 30AMP and the other 15AMP.

Oh, ok, that makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking 15 amps per charger was the maximum when I read that, obviously that is not right.

3phase-20Aand32A.png

20A is on the left, 32A is on the right. As you can see the 20A is smaller and has a flat bottom.

You're correct that Plugshare only had the option for 32A sockets, they've now fixed it for the mobile app to say "3 phase" (at my suggestion) so that all 3 phase sockets can be differentiated from the much-less-useful single phase sockets, but they haven't changed it on the website yet. You will need to click the description to see what type of socket it is.

On my journey across Australia I charged on (three phase) 32A sockets 22 times, and on 20A sockets 6 times, but on 5 of those 6 occasions the alternative would have been 15A single phase - so I'm really glad I had a 20A adapter.

It made the difference between a 6 hour charge and a 30 hour charge each time!

40A and 50A sockets also exist, but they are the same physical size as 32A sockets, with different notches cut out to prevent high-amp loads being plugged into low-amp sockets.

Low amp into high amp works fine (ie you can plug 32A into 40A & 50A sockets)

Your information most helpful thanks Colin. Awaiting arrival of my Tesla S 75 at the end of this month and planning trip to Brisbane before Christmas. Trying to wrap my head around planning the trip, where to charge, what equipment is needed with no Superchargers up this way. Seems quite a challenge ...perhaps its a girl thing!
Any advice or charging locations will be most welcome.

Your information most helpful thanks Colin. Awaiting arrival of my Tesla S 75 at the end of this month and planning trip to Brisbane before Christmas. Trying to wrap my head around planning the trip, where to charge, what equipment is needed with no Superchargers up this way. Seems quite a challenge ...perhaps its a girl thing!
Any advice or charging locations will be most welcome.
On the way up north in August, I charged at ...
>> UQ in Brissie - fast DC charger - need Chademo adapter
>> Latronics at Moffat Beach. They have a slow Tesla charger but you would be faster with a 3 phase adapter. (also need red 5 pin euro tail - speak to Adriano from Tesla Syd)
>> Maryborough Showgrounds - definitely need 3 phase adapter. Ring Thea (number on plugshare) to chk no conflicts.

Definitely test them all out first! We can help you with any queries.

Have you looked at www.plugshare.com which is the charging map we all use!

There is also an mobile app which I always use.

Last edited:
Thanks RichardMcN. I followed your Anticlockwise trip with great interest as was a child of western Qld myself. Photos were wonderful thanks for sharing so much info from your trip on the forum.
Have spoken with Tim at EVnomics who was most helpful with the equipment I should have. So I have ordered Tesla UMC Adaptor Twinpack - 20A and 32A and also the J1772 to Type 2 Adapter - rated 32A from him.
Also geting the Euro 3 phase Adaptor from Tesla and of course will have the UMC that comes with the car.
My main concern now is working out how much forward planning I need to do, how long charging will take and where to do it.
Have joined Plugshare and Chargepoint on Tim's advice, studied their maps til I'm blue in the face.
He also advised I change the range display from 'rated' to 'typical' when I get the car.
Guess I just have to brave up, get on the road and have a go.
Has anyone tried Gin Gin Showgrounds, Humdrum Expresso at Eumundi?
Appreciate you thoughts.