Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infographic - Charging your Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys I've put together a simple infographic on what you need to charge your Tesla in Australia. Any feedback and/or corrections are more than welcome. I intend to keep this up to date - eg when Tesla release their three phase charger.

Full infographic here (also where it will be updated) - where I list the places to get your accessories, but I'm worried it might be construed as advertising on these forums, so have left it out: http://www.jetcharge.com.au/news/2016/1/4/tesla-charging-options-in-australia

tesla-charging-infographic_20160103222201_1451859721280_block_0.png

so good! I wish this existed 2 months ago and I would have been saved from asking stupid questions around the forum on this stuff :)
as mentioned in the WhatsApp group - I think it would be good to have another column with something like "How likely you are to see this charging option around". Eg as I understand it, in NSW CHAdeMO is pretty rare, but other states it isn't.

Another thing - for 15A charging you mention a clipper adaptor. Is it possible to just get another pigtail for the UMC + Tesla Euro 5 pin tail combo?

Excellent summary Tim - much appreciated. How useful in practice is the type 2 to type 2 cable? Are there many of those type 2 public charging stations or are they mostly 32A 3 phase sockets?
Hi Colin - good question. In WA it's quite useful because a number of Type 2 socket chargers were rolled out as part of the WA EV trial. Around the rest of the country they are sporadic, but more will spring up because of Tesla entering the market. Essentially, if you are a business or a semi public space and want to provide EV charging - it's much better to use a Type 2 socket charger because you don't know if your customers drive a Leaf/Outlander/i3 (Type 1) or a Tesla (Type 2). This allows charging for both with the right cable.

@lennier Good point, I'll change it.

Great idea putting this together! Don't know where it fits in on your list but I've got a portable 3 phase connector (32a) and I get 128km/hr out of it (with dual chargers in car)

Hi Andrew - yep it fits under the "100" category. Depending on voltage, people will get more or less than 100km of range per hour. Unfortunately voltage can vary quite a bit, so it's hard to put an exact range on it. Well done on getting such high charge rates though!

Perhaps - under 15 you could add 'Tesla UMC + Tesla Euro 5 Pin Tail + Euro to Oz 15 AMP Adaptor.
I know it's not much use but does work. When I tested it it was on a board of 15 AMP sockets and 16 AMP worked without the need to 'dial down'.

My experience for 23k KM is: Home 90%, SuperCharger 5% (even though the nearest is 1,000 km away), 4% 32 AMP 3 phase socket with Tesla UMC and 1% J1772. 10 AMP used once.
Have tested but never used CHAdeMO, 20 AMP 3 phase or 15 AMP (Tesla UMC).

Perhaps - under 15 you could add 'Tesla UMC + Tesla Euro 5 Pin Tail + Euro to Oz 15 AMP Adaptor.
I know it's not much use but does work. When I tested it it was on a board of 15 AMP sockets and 16 AMP worked without the need to 'dial down'.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i imagine it'd be easier and cheaper to use a Euro to Oz 15A adaptor than buying a clipper adapter (assuming you already have the Euro 5 pin adaptor) ?
I asked this question in my first post in this thread but i guess it was missed. Sounds like a good option to me, and probably more useful (and cheaper?) considering most people will already have the Euro 5 pin adaptor?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i imagine it'd be easier and cheaper to use a Euro to Oz 15A adaptor than buying a clipper adapter (assuming you already have the Euro 5 pin adaptor) ?
I asked this question in my first post in this thread but i guess it was missed. Sounds like a good option to me, and probably more useful (and cheaper?) considering most people will already have the Euro 5 pin adaptor?
The socket and plug from Perth come to $62 - then you need to con a foot of cable from a friendly electrician and hook it together.

What does the Euro 5 pin tail connector look like? Does this come standard with the Model S or is it extra?

What is the charge rate (in kW or Amps) using to EURO to AUST adaptor? Is there any benefit of the EVSE over the adaptor for 2016 Tesla which only has 11kW or 16.5 kW charging?

Oh, I see "16 amps per phase". Maybe this means a 32 amp connector is 32 amps per phase.

So without EVSE that is now: 11.5kW

With EVSE that is: 23kW.

So I believe EVSE will provide increased charging for the 16.5kW charger in the recent Tesla, but not for the 11kW charger. Does not sound right now?

I am booked in to get the additional charger installed in my car and so looking to get the cables required to charge up from a 3 phase 32 amp source. I'm especially interested in charging up in Colac (thanks Keith) as that is a convenient location for my frequent drive to Melbourne. My range is slowly decreasing and a short stay there will suffice until a Supercharger is installed somewhere along that route.

Where do you purchase a 'ELPA EVR3' as I have looked on EVnomics web site and it doesn't show up. Can anyone point me in the right direction? You could PM me so you don't post any business information on this forum. Thanks.