Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you remove the Bonus module from a Model 3 with a heat pump (to upgrade the firmware), do we have to shut down everything (hard reset procedure) or a soft shut down(with the screen shut down function) is safe?
Newer cars like 2021 Model 3 don't fully shutdown with "Power Off" function on touch screen. My bonus module remains powered (small LED) after the soft power down. So it is best practice to perform hard shutdown (disconnect 12 V battery and disconnect contactor under rear seat) before disconnecting bonus module. Before Ingenext updated their recommended procedures I think I did my first firmware update with soft power down and did not notice any error codes afterwards but would still recommend following the updated recommended procedure.

The bonus module (and supplied cable harness) is installed between the ICU (Integrated Control Unit which contains both MCU and main ECU) located on passenger side by the glovebox for LHD model 3/Y and the main bus line. This allows the bonus module to read and modify certain controls on the bus. In the case of SR+ this allows the ability to unlock functions that are locked out such as rear heated seats or more recently control powered line for fog lights. The other function I primarily use is the ability to remove warning message associated with missing bluetooth TPMS on my winter tires. Other available functions are listed on Ingenext website.

When installing bypass module you are effectively restoring factory (effectively just cable) interface so that modifications to bus no longer occur.
Ok, so it is a module you install into the Ingenext harness (replace existing module) that removes the Ingenext modifications without having to remove the whole harness?

When you remove the Bonus module from a Model 3 with a heat pump (to upgrade the firmware), do we have to shut down everything (hard reset procedure) or a soft shut down(with the screen shut down function) is safe?
you dont need to remove it, go on ingenext website to make sure that firmware is safe to update first. Then once they approve it then you can update without having to remove the module

The bypass module is part of the installer/dealer kit on their website. I made a request through their contact us link on the website and they setup a special link for me to purchase just the bypass module which is an OBD connector with 2 wires jumpering 2 pins each (bypassing CAN bus I assume). I believe I paid $15 USD for the unit. The person that set this up for me at Ingenext was Remi. I just tried the link they sent me and it is now a different custom module so I suggest you contact them to create a new link for purchasing. I wish they would just offer it as part of standard kit. Note when changing between Bonus module and Bypass module best practice is to fully power down car (disconnect 12 V battery and disconnect connector under rear seat). I always keep it in my glovebox in case of issues or needing to take car into Tesla service.
This is a great idea. So Tesla service don't have any issue with this bypass module plugged in to the harness? I would think, once service sees the pass through, they would freak out. The ghost upgrade comes with two OBD modules so I guess we would need to of these.

If 2021.44.30.6 is safe, then would be 2021.44.30.7? Anyone install the 30.7 with any issues?

This is a great idea. So Tesla service don't have any issue with this bypass module plugged in to the harness? I would think, once service sees the pass through, they would freak out. The ghost upgrade comes with two OBD modules so I guess we would need to of these.

If 2021.44.30.6 is safe, then would be 2021.44.30.7? Anyone install the 30.7 with any issues?
How often do you think Tesla service is going to be taking apart vehicle to access ICU for service? If I knew they were replacing ICU or making new connections to ICU for required maintenance, I might consider removing but otherwise I don't expect Tesla needlessly taking internal panels apart to inspect and notice an extra cable. Last service visit where I used bypass module is recall associated with temp sensors on heat pump vehicles built for certain date range and nothing was mentioned by Tesla service.

For ghost upgrade I'm not sure if bypass module would be the same. When I first requested a bypass module from Ingenext they offered a short extension cable which would allow to more easily remove Bonus module with corresponding OBD cable assembly (basically extend connection an addition 9-12 inches) . This might be a better option for Ghost and Boost that contain two modules.

I am currently running 2021.44.30.7 without issue on 2021 M3 SR+ with Bonus module.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
you dont need to remove it, go on ingenext website to make sure that firmware is safe to update first. Then once they approve it then you can update without having to remove the module
Assuming you have a Windows based laptop you can bring to car to perform firmware update. If your only windows based machine is a desktop then you may have no choice but to pull bonus module from car to perform firmware update.

So, with the bypass module, what exactly is the benefit it provides so I understand it?

Obviously if Tesla need to access the area it is installed physically during service, the original module will need to be removed entirely if you don't want them to see it (eg in warranty).

But does that mean if a service which requires diagnostics (remote or otherwise) takes place without unplugging they can tell you have got it? If not what does the bypass module do?

The bypass module is part of the installer/dealer kit on their website. I made a request through their contact us link on the website and they setup a special link for me to purchase just the bypass module which is an OBD connector with 2 wires jumpering 2 pins each (bypassing CAN bus I assume). I believe I paid $15 USD for the unit. The person that set this up for me at Ingenext was Remi. I just tried the link they sent me and it is now a different custom module so I suggest you contact them to create a new link for purchasing. I wish they would just offer it as part of standard kit. Note when changing between Bonus module and Bypass module best practice is to fully power down car (disconnect 12 V battery and disconnect connector under rear seat). I always keep it in my glovebox in case of issues or needing to take car into Tesla service.
Is it very difficult to install the bypass module ?

Life hack: just found an added benefit of the Ingenext module. I have mine set to open the door on approach. Well, on a recent cold morning, the door popped open as intended, and I also opened the rear door to put some stuff in. Well, the rear door handle was a bit frozen and hard to push in. But the front door popped open without having to do that. Tried the handle and indeed, it was also frozen. But the door opened anyway with the Ingenext feature. So, may be a nice benefit on cold days if your door handle gets stuck.

I believe Ingenext put the glovebox removal video up to assist in install. Albeit it Is definitely easier to get to the MCU (I would venture to guess this is how mobile service conducts MCU replacements as well) Is it just the same amount of work as trying to get that cable to fit. Supposedly if you lay upside down and put the seat back it’s a bit easier.
I just installed one, it was bit of a challenge. Perhaps if I had leaned the pass seat all the way back - basically I was upside down, head on the floor to get it in - whew but done!

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Wouldn't it make more sense if Ingenext supplied an extension cable for the modules (instead of a bypass module which would still physically be there) where we can easily just remove the whole harness if we need to take the car to Tesla? It would make things so much easier.

I have emailed them to ask if they do one, but have not heard back.

Where does this b
Wouldn't it make more sense if Ingenext supplied an extension cable for the modules (instead of a bypass module which would still physically be there) where we can easily just remove the whole harness if we need to take the car to Tesla? It would make things so much easier.

I have emailed them to ask if they do one, but have not heard back.
Where does the bypass module install? No one has seemed to mention that. I would guess it’s installed in the blue canbus harness in the back of the center console below the USB ports, but I could be wrong

See above, the hardest part for me was basically being upside down to be able to remove/replug in the bypass cable itself
Sorry, wasn’t talking about the bonus module, ingenext makes a bypass module, which is in addition to the bonus module, that essentially removes any trace of the bonus module being installed without actually having to remove it.

I’ve seen a few people have requested them from ingenext but I’m just curious as to where the bypass installs to, and if I should potentially order one myself if it’s worth it.

Reactions: Msjulie
Sorry, wasn’t talking about the bonus module, ingenext makes a bypass module, which is in addition to the bonus module, that essentially removes any trace of the bonus module being installed without actually having to remove it.
Ah. Interestingly, this? Support kit

It looks to me that the bypass just replaces the actual module inline of original install, so if I'm seeing what I think, it's up in the footwell

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.12.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 7.12.32 AM.png

Those of you who have had ingenext remote in and program your unit, has anyone had success with using bootcamp on mac? I saw someone mention parallels desktop, But not bootcamp.

I have a programming appt tomorrow with them and was planning on using my MacBook Pro to connect the teamviewer session (via bootcamp) and the modules USB that way.