Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I highly appreciate software updates and enhancements - unless you are using AP/FSD they shouldn't be considered a total necessity in order for the car to maintain functionality and integrity of safety, and even then FSD isn't necessarily up to par on being safe for many situations. The car is already the safest in the world straight out of the factory. If there are safety issues, that's what safety recalls are for. I do think it'd be nice if Tesla provided some kind of option to manually download updates and install them standalone, kind of in the same fashion with how you flash mobo's with a new BIOS, which happens to always be available with whatever the latest version is online.

Also don't think I understand about control issues. People just want to mod their cars but there are just a few caveats to doing so.

Sounds like you’re kind of saying, send me all the good updates, all the safety updates, but allow me to still control my updates manually, so people can mod their cars.

Not sure all those options align. Tesla is accountable for what the car does. If owners control the software, Tesla can’t be accountable.
Pretty sure the same people that mod their cars, will sue Tesla if it crashes....

Be happy that you live where you live.
Here all the tire mods, custom rims, springs and so on are
illegal here. You cannot even add a trailer hitch to a Tesla, it
must come from the factory. Some can be approved and put
in your car title, some not. Most of the supper fast cars have chips
that limit the top speed to about 150mph. Most of these people have
replaced the chips. So what. If they see rims, tires or springs that are
not approved you need to put them back at inspection time.
A driver posted a video of him doing 130mph in an i8 in a 60mph zone.
The car was modified, they took the car, the driver may never be able to
drive again. I say live and let live.

Sounds like you’re kind of saying, send me all the good updates, all the safety updates, but allow me to still control my updates manually, so people can mod their cars.

Not sure all those options align. Tesla is accountable for what the car does. If owners control the software, Tesla can’t be accountable.
Pretty sure the same people that mod their cars, will sue Tesla if it crashes....

I don't think Tesla is accountable for what the car does if it's been modified as I just said in the post prior. By your logic, all the modded ICE cars out on the roads today should be sueing if they crash their cars too, right? Those car systems are also using computers that control timings and input/output variables which get modified by tuners. Tell me how a Tesla is really different in that regard? The only thing unique is that they continually provide updates and can do so via OTA. They are accountable for what those updates do on a non-modified system.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Be happy that you live where you live.
Here all the tire mods, custom rims, springs and so on are
illegal here. You cannot even add a trailer hitch to a Tesla, it
must come from the factory. Some can be approved and put
in your car title, some not. Most of the supper fast cars have chips
that limit the top speed to about 150mph. Most of these people have
replaced the chips. So what. If they see rims, tires or springs that are
not approved you need to put them back at inspection time.
A driver posted a video of him doing 130mph in an i8 in a 60mph zone.
The car was modified, they took the car, the driver may never be able to
drive again. I say live and let live.

I think mods to the physical car are not an issue with anyone here. Sounds like they are in your country though. :(

Wanting to alter the software that runs the car, and also asking Tesla to release control of the cars software is what some owners want.

I understand some folks wanting to mod the performance, but I don’t think they understand, that the cars software is completely intertwined. If you change one thing, it can affect another.

I think we can all imagine the outcome of having thousands of Tesla’s reprogrammed by amateurs running around our streets.

This isn’t like tweaking a V8 to go faster, or flashing a BMW chip to change engine performance...

Unplug the SIM card...

I wonder if that would work long term. If they are smart, and we know they are, they put a scrip in that tells the car to quietly search for open node Wi-Fi at all times. So if you pull the SIM and the mothership wants to check on her baby...Next time you are at Dairy Queen with your car and it finds the open node Wi-Fi, it reaches out, mothership tells it that its got modified program, and to brick it till it can get towed to SC for inspection as its dangerous.

Yes, a bit of a fanatical idea, but if I can think it, someone way smarter than me can too when they are writing failsafes.

• Disagree
I wonder if that would work long term. If they are smart, and we know they are, they put a scrip in that tells the car to quietly search for open node Wi-Fi at all times. So if you pull the SIM and the mothership wants to check on her baby...Next time you are at Dairy Queen with your car and it finds the open node Wi-Fi, it reaches out, mothership tells it that its got modified program, and to brick it till it can get towed to SC for inspection as its dangerous.

Yes, a bit of a fanatical idea, but if I can think it, someone way smarter than me can too when they are writing failsafes.

Any of that is possible. And Like you said, they've more than likely thought about it. Even if it never connects to a wireless network, they'll still know that the car isn't reachable anymore, and possibly attempt to contact the owner on file.

• Informative
Is it Ford and GM or is it their engineers? The companies can do whatever they want with their IP. Doesn’t mean their employees are allowed to steal it.

Ford and GM work with aftermarket tuners already to supply them access to the vehicles on-board controllers, so those tuners can more efficiently and effectively modify the cars for the customers that are going to do it anyway.

Steve Dinan of Dinan Performance is always an interesting guy to listen to on this very topic, particularly from the perspective of a tuner whose target vehicles aren’t from an OEM that is as friendly:

Unfortunately, I can’t find the video with him talking about how they got started with looking at code, halving it, making a small change and then seeing what engine parameter was being affected.

Point being, companies have been doing this for a very long time and are changing parameters that can drastically affect the drivability of the vehicle. Unlocking performance is not new and if OEMs were liable for what customers do with their vehicles, Ford would no longer exist due all the damage modified Mustangs cause every year

Seems like a huge lawsuit waiting to happen if they were to do that. SIM card and/or modem fails and person is then locked out of driving the vehicle. I need to get out of a dangerous situation using my vehicle, but Tesla has bricked my car because the SIM or modem failed (or I unplugged it)...

Personally i find it highly suspect that acceleration can be impacted via something you plug into the can bus. That is a huge security flaw. What’s to stop a bad actor from turning 5 units of acceleration into 200 units of acceleration and cause an accident?

uh, no. That’s not my logic.

Your logic from a previous post (added above for your convenience): adding performance is a security flaw and will make the car unsafe.

I think mods to the physical car are not an issue with anyone here. Sounds like they are in your country though. :(

Wanting to alter the software that runs the car, and also asking Tesla to release control of the cars software is what some owners want.

I understand some folks wanting to mod the performance, but I don’t think they understand, that the cars software is completely intertwined. If you change one thing, it can affect another.

I think we can all imagine the outcome of having thousands of Tesla’s reprogrammed by amateurs running around our streets.

This isn’t like tweaking a V8 to go faster, or flashing a BMW chip to change engine performance...

Actually, its far less complicated. Amps turn into to power far more directly in an electric motor than air and fuel inside a combustion chamber with 100s of parts moving at incredible speeds which then send power through a computer controlled transmission with 100s of more parts which then send power out through the driveline. Traction, stability control, and driver assistance systems have to work in concert with that engine controller managing 100s of small explosions every second and the transmission controller dealing with its own gigantic set of inputs and drivability issues.

Tuners have been successfully dealing with these issues for years and years. Again, Tesla is new in that it makes awesome and fast EVs, but tuning (hot roding) is tuning, and Tesla still makes cars. The driveline on a new Mustang is far more complicated than Tesla’s systems (part of why EVs are so good - simplicity) and their are thousands and thousands of those things running around that have been messed with by amateur tuners. Probably shouldn’t even bring up tunable ABS and electric steering systems...

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider
Bit off more then they can chew
Your Tesla is either on grid or off grid.
If you choose to take it off grid because you have a need for speed you loose:
Connectivity, maps, supercharging, updates.Your certificates will age out, error codes won’t clear, and Some things will just stop. There are limited cat (car) and mouse hacks like running two computers, proxy the gateway, etc. but you are still in violation of TOS and a few federal regulations that I cannot see it as a business.