Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ingenext Boost Modules [aftermarket]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I were the factory engineer encoding these things, I'd be going to the aftermarket performance companies on the side and saying "Pssstt... for a nice little pile of cash, I'll give you this piece of paper which tells how to unlock it and do your custom tune correctly. Or, you can do it the hard way and spend 2 years trying to figure it out.....".
Bruh...no.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl and ra88it
Yes it does, particularly when you consider transmission kick-down and rev holding. If you're only talking about full performance envelope of a stock vehicle with a pedal input go between for drive-by-wire systems, then sure. But, by your logic, supercharging, turbocharging, or adding power via simple tune would be considered a security flaw. Something which has been going on for a very long time... long before Tesla as a company was even a thought in someone's mind.

no. not really. Once can be done via plugging in a device. A the other needs extended time with the vehicle. Eg. one can be done in 5 seconds, the other takes 30 minutes or more.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The new model S looks to be very fast.
Do you need 4000hp in you car to go the corner store,
well there is an electric dragster out there.
Anyone that has done performance upgrades will
tell you there is no such thing as a 2k upgrade.
It is a very fun process of spending tons of money
and say I did it. Just look around here , tires , springs,
and maybe next a new converter, battery, new electronics.
If you race, fine, otherwise it is a rabbit hole.

The new model S looks to be very fast.
Do you need 4000hp in you car to go the corner store,
well there is an electric dragster out there.
Anyone that has done performance upgrades will
tell you there is no such thing as a 2k upgrade.
It is a very fun process of spending tons of money
and say I did it. Just look around here , tires , springs,
and maybe next a new converter, battery, new electronics.
If you race, fine, otherwise it is a rabbit hole.

Is this a really long haiku?

Tesla has the tools and backing at their disposal to make hacking their cars an exercise in futility, or at the very least, very frustrating. Even if a hacked car's owner couldn't care less about the warranty, online services or supercharger network, Tesla could still deem such a car as unsafe and unfit for street use and send the VIN off to the proper authorities with warnings and recommendations. The state DMV would salivate for that kind of info.

Unplug the SIM card...

no. not really. Once can be done via plugging in a device. A the other needs extended time with the vehicle. Eg. one can be done in 5 seconds, the other takes 30 minutes or more.

You're still adding performance to a car, and by your logic, have made it unsafe. There are plenty of tunes out there that add 20 to 100hp on stock turbo charged vehicles. Nothing more than plugging in a device now-a-days... COBB Tuning ring a bell? How about SCT, Superchips, or Diablosport? Hell, there were even some tunes that would add well over 100hp on light/medium-duty diesel pickup trucks, like Bully Dog, or Edge.

Best-Selling Performance Programmers for Gas & Diesel Trucks, SUV, and Jeep®
DiabloSport - Gasoline and Diesel Tuning Systems
COBB Tuning - Performance Car Tuning | COBB Tuning
From Big Rigs to Pickup Trucks Bully Dog is the Expert in Truck Tuning
Edge Products: Programmers, Intakes, & Exhausts for Gas & Diesel Truck

Does it though? You don't have to have updates if you don't want them.

If Tesla doesn’t maintain and update the software, they can’t really ensure the car is safe, since it runs on software.

I think you do have to update the car, or Tesla won’t be responsible for the car. If they aren’t responsible for it, they separate it from the fleet.

I think there are too many folks with control issues.
Let the software flow free, relax, and let go. :)

The "so what" is that the exact same hardware is covered under the same warranty in the higher performing version of the vehicle.

...that they charged more money for, to cover higher expected warranty costs.

Does it though? You don't have to have updates if you don't want them.

Sure- as long as you're ok not getting ANY updates. Meaning AP and FSD never improve on your car. Neither do any of the other features they've added, or improved on, via SW updates.

Also you might lose use/access to the Tesla Mobile App & associated features, voice commands, streaming media content, and other connectivity dependent features.

All of which were listed as things you might lose if you refuse to update your car when early S owners recently were offered an "Update or else" situation.

• Informative
If Tesla doesn’t maintain and update the software, they can’t really ensure the car is safe, since it runs on software.

I think you do have to update the car, or Tesla won’t be responsible for the car. If they aren’t responsible for it, they separate it from the fleet.

I think there are too many folks with control issues.
Let the software flow free, relax, and let go. :)

While I highly appreciate software updates and enhancements - unless you are using AP/FSD they shouldn't be considered a total necessity in order for the car to maintain functionality and integrity of safety, and even then FSD isn't necessarily up to par on being safe for many situations. The car is already the safest in the world straight out of the factory. If there are safety issues, that's what safety recalls are for. I do think it'd be nice if Tesla provided some kind of option to manually download updates and install them standalone, kind of in the same fashion with how you flash mobo's with a new BIOS, which happens to always be available with whatever the latest version is online.

Also don't think I understand about control issues. People just want to mod their cars but there are just a few caveats to doing so.

• Informative