Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inspect and re-seal front upper control arm by mobile service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a text message today from Tesla Mobile Service asking me if I would like to schedule a mobile tech to come out and perform service on my front upper control arms per a recently released (???) service bulletin. I haven't had any problems in that area, as far as I know, but since they said the service was free, I opted to have it done between 12 and 4pm tomorrow. Will let you all know how it works out. I asked if they could also install my cabin filters and they said yes. They're actually a set from TEMAI so I hope they don't object. Most likely I'll get charged for this service and that's okay by me.
Had it done Monday, it took 15 to 20 minutes. The tech came to my house and got it done 💪🏽

Tech (Brandon) arrived about a half hour early and all work was completed in about 20 minutes. It's hard to see what was done with the control arms as it seems to have involved putting the urethane on top where I couldn't get a good photo. But you can see some of the stuff now draped over the side:

Left (driver side) postfix #1:
View attachment 690016

Left (driver) side postfix #2:
View attachment 690018

Right (passenger) side postfix #1:
View attachment 690019

Right (passenger) side postfix #2:
View attachment 690020

As I said earlier, I have not ever heard any kind of squeaking / knocking / rubbing coming from this area. Blasting my stereo at 11 doesn't help :) . Brandon said he has only dealt with a couple of cars where he's heard the problem out of hundreds he has worked on. But then this service is supposed to be a proactive (band-aid? temporary?) solution. Was told not to drive the car for about 30 minutes in order to let the goo set. Have yet to receive any paperwork for this service but I will update when it comes in.

Was your service guy named Phil

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 9.35.04 PM.png

Yeah, if I was ambitious enough I would have removed the frunk and taken photos. I actually wished the tech had to do that as I am planning on putting in a 12V accessory outlet in the frunk. Probably will do that the same time I replace the 12V battery with a lithium ion one. If I wait long enough maybe Tesla will have one for the Model 3 and I won't have to go the Ohmmu route.

If this was back in July does anyone know what they are doing on newer models after the bulletin?

Took my car in to Tesla today. Told them that it wasn't making any sounds anymore, but the tech seemed keen to replace the control arms anyway because "there is a revised part that is a better design than the original one", so I guess they're doing preventative replacement in some cases.

I'm pretty certain at this point that it was just the brakes scrubbing the rotors as suggested before, since it wasn't doing it at maneuvering speeds or when the car was stationary but in neutral.

Took my car in to Tesla today. Told them that it wasn't making any sounds anymore, but the tech seemed keen to replace the control arms anyway because "there is a revised part that is a better design than the original one", so I guess they're doing preventative replacement in some cases.

I'm pretty certain at this point that it was just the brakes scrubbing the rotors as suggested before, since it wasn't doing it at maneuvering speeds or when the car was stationary but in neutral.

What year is your car? Thx.

Glad it all worked out for you, Durzel. If it’s true that the newer part has been revised to eliminate the problem, that’s a good thing. As it stands, even the minor rubbing sound while on brake hold is a little annoying. But it’s better to know its just that and not premature part wear or breakdown.

To draw a line under this, picked my car up today.

The noise in the video I was told is normal, and the it’s the hold assist doing it’s job.

The invoice said “Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints” and “Replace The LH And RH Front Upper Control Arms”, but the only parts listed on it is 2 x “NUT,HF,M10-1.5,[10],ZNNI,PTP (1111145-00-A)”, which as the name suggests is actually a nut, presumably the one that corrodes and is sealed with urethane.

So, I’m not entirely convinced based on the invoice that my car had new upper control arms, or even if a revised version of them even exists. It’s possible the tech didn’t really know what he was talking about, I guess?

Either way I wouldn’t worry unduly about whether this is actually a problem or not. The urethane resealing thing is definitely something they’re proactively doing when cars come in for other things (like the early car water ingress fix), but it’s not like a recall or anything.

Is the ball joint not serviceable? Usually you just press out the old one and press in a new one.

Seems wasteful to replace the entire arm for a part that should be serviceable.
No it's not replaceable. The ball joint is put into the metal control arm and held in with a plastic cap on the top. Tesla seals around the joint of the plastic cap and the metal control arm with the urethane sealant. If they wanted to, they could add a grease zerk somewhere near the joint.

• Informative
Reactions: Pied
Wow...

Tesla put a service bulletin a while back. I took it in around 40k miles they apparently add some lubricant and seal the joints but just 1 year later and I have the squeek. From one I am gathering Tesla is doing this on vehicles prior to 50,000 miles just to get them through the 50,000 miles so that they are not on the hook for actually replacing the part I have a service appointment next month and I'm going to try to fight it because I took it in before warranty and they did not replace the part but rather just hatch it up now they are probably going to want me to pay for the fix when they should have just fixed it in the first place

Reactions: tm1v2
Wow...

Tesla put a service bulletin a while back. I took it in around 40k miles they apparently add some lubricant and seal the joints but just 1 year later and I have the squeek. From one I am gathering Tesla is doing this on vehicles prior to 50,000 miles just to get them through the 50,000 miles so that they are not on the hook for actually replacing the part I have a service appointment next month and I'm going to try to fight it because I took it in before warranty and they did not replace the part but rather just hatch it up now they are probably going to want me to pay for the fix when they should have just fixed it in the first place
bingo. you got it. resealing/ and lubing up a part *after* moisture intrusion has caused a problem is a total bandaid solution just not to have it fail in the 50k miles warranty period. A control arm shouldn't squeak / need resealing / fail in under 70k miles... let alone under 50k miles. Given that we have seen now multiple control arm revisions ... this is like a design flaw and they are just pro-actively doing this to push failures out of warranty.

bingo. you got it. resealing/ and lubing up a part *after* moisture intrusion has caused a problem is a total bandaid solution just not to have it fail in the 50k miles warranty period. A control arm shouldn't squeak / need resealing / fail in under 70k miles... let alone under 50k miles. Given that we have seen now multiple control arm revisions ... this is like a design flaw and they are just pro-actively doing this to push failures out of warranty.
I got a quote for the replacement. I attached it. It seems much less than what people here and other blogs said it would cost.

Can one of you look at it and confirm based on the description that it is being replaced?

I'm still mad I'm on the hook for replacing it, but I'm happy if it is in fact under $300 I am at 58,000 miles. I'm disappointed they didn't just replace it free of charge at 40,000 miles when I reported it and just did that sealing ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-102511.png
    Screenshot_20220818-102511.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 88
I got a quote for the replacement. I attached it. It seems much less than what people here and other blogs said it would cost.

Can one of you look at it and confirm based on the description that it is being replaced?

I'm still mad I'm on the hook for replacing it, but I'm happy if it is in fact under $300 I am at 58,000 miles. I'm disappointed they didn't just replace it free of charge at 40,000 miles when I reported it and just did that sealing ...
that labor estimate seems super low... if the hour is $185 but they only estimate $55 for labor... the one mechanic can replace both control arms in 15 minutes?

Wow...

Same here, I got the "delay failure to 50k" service a while back and now I'm at 53,000 miles and overnight the front passenger side is really bad.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3