Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed Matt Shumaker's Driver Centric Screen Mount: photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the screen mount earlier today and it's going to take some getting used to I think. I do like that the screen is turned more towards the driver, and it's fine that the screen is lowered 1.6 inches, but I'm not loving the 9 degree forward angle. YMMV but I believe a 6 to 7 degree angle would have been the sweet spot for me. I'm sure after a few days living with it I'll get used to the angle but my first impression was that it was slightly too forward angled (especially coming from no angle). As for the parts, they're very solid, and it feels like the screen is even more stable than where it was originally. At $245 (on sale this month) it still feels pricey for what you get, but you have to remember that you're paying for all the time and effort put into the design as well. Matt did a really great job with the design and a helpful install video, too. Speaking of the install, it went smoothly, and took less than 30 minutes all in. I do believe I'll adjust to the new angle soon and it will eventually feel like this is how it came from Tesla.

Reactions: seanr and Akikiki
I know there’s pics on the first page of this thread but here’s some from the interior of my car. I took shots from multiple angles to give you a better idea of how the mount modifies the original placement of the screen.

29E46B1F-E89C-4AC9-9655-C7CD2C8A64AC.jpeg
D4C4CE88-B126-4C6A-AE23-D2486625D7EB.jpeg
E3976EF8-ED9C-4082-B269-B9669442FE5C.jpeg
1BB916F4-0DC1-4925-9683-E1EC8DB971C3.jpeg
0BCD164A-DD97-40C6-89A6-F9F3236D480F.jpeg

@DK21 - Thanks again for the pics. Do you notice any increase or decrease in reflections on the screen with the upward angle tilt ?
To me, there’s a definite reduction in glare, and due to the move towards the driver there’s less sun reflecting off the screen (I also have an anti-glare matte screen protector which helps). I’ve only had the screen mount installed for a couple days now but I’m liking the angle turned towards the driver and I’m already getting used to the 9 degree tilt forward (still would have liked slightly less tilt though). All-in-all pretty good. Is it necessary, definitely not. The original screen position was perfectly fine.

Matt's driver centric screen mount was delivered a few days ago and I just had it installed. It's not very difficult and the results are fantastic. I was so excited I took the photos posted below at the installer's house immediately after it was done.

The mount is basically two very well made machined aluminum peices and it results in an adjustable mount. I set mine to have the sharpest angle toward the driver. If you don't know about the mount Matt has posted several videos about them. Here's the installation video.

This is an incredibly well made product. Until it was installed I was concerned about the how the soft shroud that hides the hardware would look. It looks great.

View attachment 477742

View attachment 477743

View attachment 477744

View attachment 477745

View attachment 477746

View attachment 477747

Looks sweet! Where did you get your woodgrain wrap from?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Hey Guys,

I completely understand objections to either the "need" for this kit or the price.

Allow me to elaborate;

I initially developed this mount just as something I personally wanted. I felt the screen was too high on the dash and too vertical. So, I hand machined my own mount. It was because of an overwhelming response for my YouTube viewers that I made it available. I like it. But, I know tastes and needs vary. No problem.

The cost is based around two things;

#1 Initial investment of time and money. I have a couple grand invested in the development and about 50 man-hours of time. This has to be recouped.

#2 These are not cheap to make. Paying a CNC machine shop for prototyping, fixturing, and production is expensive. The fabric sleeve is made completely by hand, we are talking scissors and a sewing machine. Each sleeve takes over an hour to make.

Beyond that, there is the instruction video I had to make, figuring out packaging, setting up thre order page, etc. This is not even including customer service suppor after the sale.

Anyway, I could go on and on. But, the bottom line is, the $245 price it is currently marked at is the lowest we can go and have it be a worth while endeavour.

I understand if not everyone wants one. No problem. No upgrade is right for everyone.

Oh, this kit has been WILDLY more popular than I ever expected it would be.

I have been doing inventing and small run manufacturing for 17 years as a side business. So, this is not my first rodeo.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

I like the concept but I don’t like how you can’t adjust it readily. I drive Monday’s to Friday’s by myself so I would love it if the screen tilted to me on most days. But I would need to have the screen also swivel to the passenger on the weekend for family riding shotgun.

I like the concept but I don’t like how you can’t adjust it readily. I drive Monday’s to Friday’s by myself so I would love it if the screen tilted to me on most days. But I would need to have the screen also swivel to the passenger on the weekend for family riding shotgun.

Even at the most extreme setting the passenger can still see and use the screen. It wouldn't be great for Netflix while charging or car camping, but those aren't the most frequent use cases.

Just keep that Hex tool in the glove box and on weekend it’s just a quick adjustment.

Fred