Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance discounts for Enhanced Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Liberty Mutual and they offer an Alternative Energy discount. Along with the security features of the M3, my premium from a ‘17 Honda Accord Touring did not go up a penny.

Based on the quotes I’ve gotten from them in the past, that’s because they were already 85% higher than anyone else and didn’t want to make you realize it.

Would you consider $50 a month a high premium for an M3?

Depends on where you live. According your profile you’re in Kentucky which I’m guessing has lower insurance premiums on average than a good portion of the country. Somewhere like NJ, NY or CA is definitely going to have higher premiums just because of the higher population density. That’s why it pays to shop around for insurance. Everyone’s situation is different and no single insurance company is a good fit for most people.

Reactions: jcasetnl
Depends on where you live. According your profile you’re in Kentucky which I’m guessing has lower insurance premiums on average than a good portion of the country. Somewhere like NJ, NY or CA is definitely going to have higher premiums just because of the higher population density. That’s why it pays to shop around for insurance. Everyone’s situation is different and no single insurance company is a good fit for most people.
There are always many factors, such as deductible selections, coverage amounts, multi policy discounts etc... I’m very happy with my auto rates with them. Between our two vehicles, we pay $1200 a year for pretty good coverage. We have auto, home, and life policies with them.

Actually, my premiums were/are higher in Nevada and New Mexico than Silicon Valley, CA. Much higher rates of auto theft and drunk drivers in the former two.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
For us, yes. We don't pay $600 for both of us. I think he has a point. We checked with that insurance company a few years ago and it would cost us 60% more, yet maybe things have changed.

Actually, my premiums were/are higher in Nevada and New Mexico than Silicon Valley, CA. Much higher rates of auto theft and drunk drivers in the former two.

I guess it depends on the city of course, rather than the state. I moved from the San Francisco bay area to Sparks NV (Gigafactory town) and our rates went down 12%. As it seems you also report being in Reno, I wonder about why yours went up and ours went down. Clearly other factors.

Do cars with EAP installed have lower accident rates? Tesla hasn’t released that data. They’ve only released on-off data for cars with EAP which is inconclusive because they don’t control for road type or conditions.
Also the fact that the car costs $5k more doesn’t help with insurance rates.

Do cars with EAP installed have lower accident rates? Tesla hasn’t released that data. They’ve only released on-off data for cars with EAP which is inconclusive because they don’t control for road type or conditions.
Also the fact that the car costs $5k more doesn’t help with insurance rates.

Whether or not they are safer is the billion dollar question. I think the general consensus is that they are/ will be once there are more AV's on the road and the systems become more capable (L3/L4+). Since it will reduce the amount of human error/input.

You're definitely right, if they released the data it could be pretty valuable, but I'm sure there's a reason for why they haven't. However, there was the report by NHTSA that evaluated the Tesla EAP system that was a pretty interesting read (Claim that Tesla’s crash rate dropped with Autopilot contested, Tesla responds), but, Tesla came out and said that the report was testing an outdated software version so it wasn't as credible as it could be.

Whether or not they are safer is the billion dollar question. I think the general consensus is that they are/ will be once there are more AV's on the road and the systems become more capable (L3/L4+). Since it will reduce the amount of human error/input.

You're definitely right, if they released the data it could be pretty valuable, but I'm sure there's a reason for why they haven't. However, there was the report by NHTSA that evaluated the Tesla EAP system that was a pretty interesting read (Claim that Tesla’s crash rate dropped with Autopilot contested, Tesla responds), but, Tesla came out and said that the report was testing an outdated software version so it wasn't as credible as it could be.
Yeah, Tesla's response is super shady. They don't question the analysts methodology, only the sample size. They also don't provide any evidence that the sample size is too small. I want to know what the airbag deployment rate per mile for the Model 3 with EAP installed and EAP not installed. Ideally you would try to correct for road type, time of day, and road conditions too.