Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - Vehicle insurance (not Gap insurance) posts moved from 2021 Q1 M3 New Owners Help Group!

Gap insurance is deffo a must - However if you go with Churchill they actually include a return to invoice for the first 12 months which is good. So that means you can skip the first year and get it after 12 months.

What price did you get? I'm getting insurance for £800 from direct line - heavy when I was paying £350 for my BMW 3 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
What price did you get? I'm getting insurance for £800 from direct line - heavy when I was paying £350 for my BMW 3 series.

You need to say which Tesla model this relates to. I'm paying £239 for a Model 3 SR+ with Churchill. Obviously there are huge variations with insurance depending on so many variables.

(If you put your car model in your signature then people will be able to see it without you having to tell them in your posts.)

You need to say which Tesla model this relates to. I'm paying £239 for a Model 3 SR+ with Churchill. Obviously there are huge variations with insurance depending on so many variables.

(If you put your car model in your signature then people will be able to see it without you having to tell them in your posts.)

Done - shopping for a M3 LR. That £800 quote was with 9 years protected no claim!

What price did you get? I'm getting insurance for £800 from direct line - heavy when I was paying £350 for my BMW 3 series

£850 from Direct Line and £440 from Churchill. I also thought briefly about the Taycan £550 and that is for a car costing £100k. So DL were not good at all I guess to many years there managing to get them to match the other quotes, they probably thought I was never going to leave.

£850 from Direct Line and £440 from Churchill. I also thought briefly about the Taycan £550 and that is for a car costing £100k. So DL were not good at all I guess to many years there managing to get them to match the other quotes, they probably thought I was never going to leave.
I found my direct line quote was cheaper when I went via the link on the Tesla site. Not sure why that was though.

They were really good for me. £450 fully comp. Might be my age though - 62
Yes, being a year younger I guess I might be a risk lol. Can be all sorts of mad things, I checked my job title on MSE this time and as I don't have a job title as such (my boss always says make one up), a similar job description is about £50 cheaper but the role it describes is pretty much the same. So may change it when I get it this time.

LV were doing very competitive EV insurance. Far and away the best deal I could find. YMMV.
https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/electric-car-insurance

Weird, because when I called in December they wanted ~£700... on top of the £550 I'd already just paid to ensure my Audi A4. I laughed and went to Churchill for £650.

Has anyone heard anything new about Tesla's own insurance? Last year they were recruiting for it in the UK but I've heard nothing since.

£800 from direct line through tesla
£850 from churchill
£1500 from LV !
£850 from direct line through compare the market

39 years old in Cheshire. Hopefully it will go lower as the car ages!

Edit - with rediculous excesses - £500 compulsory and £350 optional!

I've mentioned this before, but one of my best quotes so far has been from www.bymiles.co.uk

My boy has been using them for a while and really rates their customer service and app.

So, my basic price is £450 for the year based on a random 2020 Tesla numberplate that I found, if the car never moves, then they charge you extra per mile that you do.

The good thing is, they cap it at 10,000 miles and give you the max price (in my case, £950) that I would pay, if I did those 10k miles.

If you do less, you pay less. So anyone who is going to be doing low mileage in their Tesla's I reckon this could be a winner.

Its also capped at 150 miles per day max, so if you do a lot of mileage in a single day, it could also work in your favour. As you only pay for the first 150 per day and then when you hit 10k total you don't pay anymore anyway.

They do all sorts of cars and normally send you a box to connect to the ODB port, but for Tesla's they can just link up via the app - which is handy.

I'm going to be checking them out as soon as I get a reg plate from Tesla.

Also, I can give you my boys referral which gives both of you £50 off too - which is nice. They limit the amount of referrals you can give out though unfortunately, otherwise it would be free insurance all around! :)

Also while I think of it, do Tesla do a drive away insurance? Or take home insurance or whatever they call it?

Every car i've had in the past has given me 3/5 or 7 days of complimentary insurance to get the car home.

I'm just a little hestitant to book a start date for my proper policy until I actually have the car in my hands and I've accepted it, knowing what Tesla are like for changing dates and such.

Weird, because when I called in December they wanted ~£700... on top of the £550 I'd already just paid to ensure my Audi A4. I laughed and went to Churchill for £650.

Has anyone heard anything new about Tesla's own insurance? Last year they were recruiting for it in the UK but I've heard nothing since.

Think it went all quiet on the insurance front, probably because of the amount of hurdles they would have to jump through thanks to our complicated insurances.

I'm just a little hestitant to book a start date for my proper policy until I actually have the car in my hands and I've accepted it, knowing what Tesla are like for changing dates and such.
Set it all up on the phone before hand, explaining you haven't got the reg yet. Then you call them from the showroom on collection day once you've accepted the car but before you've driven off in it.

Also while I think of it, do Tesla do a drive away insurance? Or take home insurance or whatever they call it?

Nope.

Pretty much every insurance policy will allow you to cancel without charge before the day of first insurance, and they should all allow you to change the date. Just pick the date you expect, and if you get a change, call them to alter the date.

Reactions: MrBadger