Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance New Vehicle [2021 Megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the insurance company can't recognise the registration number how can I insure the car prior to picking it up? Or can I only insure it on delivery day?
This is quite normal with other manufacturers but I’m not sure how it works with Tesla. Most manufacturers i have had recent dealings with all offer 7 days complimentary insurance which allows them to prove insurance cover to provide the initial tax on the car so they co do things at their own leisure, otherwise there is quite a bit of back and forwards to get the reg sorted, then insurance before they can tax it. It also means you can drive your nice new car on collection day and have 6 days to get your act together with insurance so it takes the pressure off massively

Reactions: H43lio and Puzuk
Tesla told me they don't offer any insurance cover for the collection day.
This left me with expecting to have to use the VIN to insure.
Finally after MUCH requesting I got a reg number about 90 minutes before my scheduled collection appointment time.
Appalling customer service, and so unnecessary.
Clearly, the customer is far from King in the world of Tesla.

You basically get a quote for the specification of the car (a number plate helps identify, VIN might too, but neither necessary or indeed possible at this stage) and save the quote. When you know when you are collecting, contact the insurance company, much easier by phone/chat as online forms may not allow this, confirm the exact details reg etc and pay. It doesn't matter that the car may or may not be registered at that point as the human on the other end of the conversation should know what needs doing.

Don't under any circumstances register the car solely on the VIN but it may sometimes help temporarily to identify a spec- VINs can and do change, even right up to the point of collection. If you do temporarily use a VIN and then subsequently have to update things, some insurers will treat it as a document change and may impose an admin fee.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jez_GB
Many insurance companies will insure using the VIN number.
Also, you can still get all your quotes and trawl the market using a fictitious Reg number, just change to the real one (or VIN) when you actually put cover in place.

This is quite normal with other manufacturers but I’m not sure how it works with Tesla. Most manufacturers i have had recent dealings with all offer 7 days complimentary insurance which allows them to prove insurance cover to provide the initial tax on the car so they co do things at their own leisure, otherwise there is quite a bit of back and forwards to get the reg sorted, then insurance before they can tax it. It also means you can drive your nice new car on collection day and have 6 days to get your act together with insurance so it takes the pressure off massively
No 7 day cover with Tesla sadly.

Tesla told me they don't offer any insurance cover for the collection day.
This left me with expecting to have to use the VIN to insure.
Finally after MUCH requesting I got a reg number about 90 minutes before my scheduled collection appointment time.
Appalling customer service, and so unnecessary.
Clearly, the customer is far from King in the world of Tesla.

yes this was a PITA for me too and I'm sure many others. I'm used to simple 7 day cover provided, to get you home and time to arrange your own. Or a reg number a week in advance (sometimes a list you can choose from!) - or often both.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Latest on Direct Line. I posted elsewhere that Direct line gave me best quote (about £500) as I do low mileage. I finalised the quote yesterday. Hope the following helps.

● Phone free call 0800 051 0036 (can't be finalised online because registration number is not on DVLA yet)
● Call was answered immediately after usual minute of pre-recorded messages
● Direct Line retrieve the online quote, and then check through details with you
● Give them the registration number advised by Tesla.
(You would have to phone them on collection day if Tesla supply car with different registration number)
● I asked for Tesla Autopilot discount - got an immediate 5% off the online quote
● Paid by credit card (secure input of credit card details using phone number pad)
● Total call was 20 minutes - but I did ask for some other information

Latest on Direct Line. I posted elsewhere that Direct line gave me best quote (about £500) as I do low mileage. I finalised the quote yesterday. Hope the following helps.

● Phone free call 0800 051 0036 (can't be finalised online because registration number is not on DVLA yet)
● Call was answered immediately after usual minute of pre-recorded messages
● Direct Line retrieve the online quote, and then check through details with you
● Give them the registration number advised by Tesla.
(You would have to phone them on collection day if Tesla supply car with different registration number)
● I asked for Tesla Autopilot discount - got an immediate 5% off the online quote
● Paid by credit card (secure input of credit card details using phone number pad)
● Total call was 20 minutes - but I did ask for some other information
Yep direct line were by far the best for me as well, quoted me £800 for my upcoming LR AWD, elephant and a few others were quoting me £1,200+ which is insane to say I’m 35 with a clean license, 4 years no claims and car parked on drive in a safe area etc etc

Anyone with Direct Line had experience with adding the accel boost?
Yes, I added that 6 weeks after getting the car.
  • Phoned DL & explained what it was - initially told it would add a premium as the advisor thought it was the result of a physical change the car.
  • Clarified that it was a 'software only' modification, ie a standard option on the car & other owners had it recorded on their policy at no additional cost.
  • They then agreed & it was added as a written note on the policy at no charge.
I've since changed to Churchill* for year 2 & as soon as I mentioned that it was an original manufacturer option as per the previous insurer they accepted the same & I can also see it mentioned on the policy document alongside the 19" alloys and tow bar.

(* at a significant reduction in original policy cost vs a huge increase from DL)

Reactions: btc1k
Hey gang, just to make sure I'm correct on the insurance side of things. Pickup is the 11th June 2021.

My cheapest insurer is Admiral at £687.68 (cheapest that doesn't want a black box), quoted via comparethemarket.com on 17th May 2021. This is within 30 days. So do I now:
  • Sit on the meerkat quote until collection day
  • On the 11th June (or whenever a plate is allocated) call Admiral and accept the quote using the reference Admiral have provided (says valid until 16/06)
  • Done?
Or do I need to be suspicious of nefarious price rises they'll try and sneak in?

Thats about it. If the actual collection date differs from the date you specified when obtaining the quote there may be a small pro-rata adjustment, but its likely to only be a few £.
Expect them to want to double check things though, maybe upsell breakdown cover (looking at DL here), and possibly a long pre-recorded message. But if the info you entered when obtaining the quote is correct, the quote should be pretty much what you will be charged. Theoretically a 5-10 minute phone call.
We firmed ours up the day before though, didn't want to leave it till the last minute. Only got the reg 24 hours before collection time, but our price to swap cars was all sorted weeks before and price we paid was within £2 of the quote as collection date changed from what we initially estimated.

Last edited:
21 days prior to ownership will normally give the most competitive quote. I did that for my renewal last month & was pleasantly surprised by the saving compared to both Y1 and earlier quotes for this renewal.

As I had used a comparison website, they also sent a couple of updated offers in the week before renewal and these were also higher than the 21 day price.

I have a M3 SR+ on order. I have been given my VIN and Registration and pickup date of the 8th June. I started looking at insurance the other day, i am 43 years of age, so i called my current insurance company and nearly fell off my seat when they quoted me £1200 (i have not paid that much for insurance since i was 19 and driving a beat up fiesta). I called direct line and they quoted £435 (with my wife added, had to remove her to get the price with the old insurance company). I have a feeling that some insurance companies are not geared up for dealing with the EV market and purposely price themselves out so you are forced to go somewhere else.

I am just hoping now that they do not change the reg number on the day..... (which i have heard about them doing).

I have a M3 SR+ on order. I have been given my VIN and Registration and pickup date of the 8th June. I started looking at insurance the other day, i am 43 years of age, so i called my current insurance company and nearly fell off my seat when they quoted me £1200 (i have not paid that much for insurance since i was 19 and driving a beat up fiesta). I called direct line and they quoted £435 (with my wife added, had to remove her to get the price with the old insurance company). I have a feeling that some insurance companies are not geared up for dealing with the EV market and purposely price themselves out so you are forced to go somewhere else.

I am just hoping now that they do not change the reg number on the day..... (which i have heard about them doing).
I found DL expensive. I’m 50 and a clean license. No claims etc and they wanted to charge me £660 and I went with LV who were < £500. It does seem all very random !

Reactions: SimonH1981
I found DL expensive. I’m 50 and a clean license. No claims etc and they wanted to charge me £660 and I went with LV who were < £500. It does seem all very random !
I made my quote with Direct Line at beginning of May with quote expiry date 2nd of June, as at the time I didn’t know the delivery date and VIN/REG.
Once I got the vehicle and delivery date confirmed on 29th May, I called them to add the details and they increased the insurance by £500 and the only justification they gave me for the increase was the earlier delivery date (3 days earlier)
Therefore, in my case, never again DL, even if I will have to pay slightly more to other insurers

Last edited:
I went with DL... They were competitive for me but the price went up £80 (10%) when I moved the start date of the policy by 2 days. I think it's generally cheapest to get quotes 21 days before you need the policy but I don't know how anyone would time everything with a new delivery.