Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got GIO with $1332 for 2 year full car replacement (which you can do for a minimum of $66K) e.g. get a 2021 tesla model 3 if it's written off.
Excess of 1200 + voluntary bump up of 400 = $1600
Oh yeah and I ticked the box for window/sunroof extra for better coverage.

I'm 36 male, with 1 incident in last 3 years - hailstorm.

GIO only cares for your last 3 years.

I've got GIO with $1332 for 2 year full car replacement (which you can do for a minimum of $66K) e.g. get a 2021 tesla model 3 if it's written off.

Was that SR+, LR, P- or P+?

Now that I have my VINs and delivery date, I called up RACV and realised I was about to get shafted.

Compared to the earlier quote they gave me 2 weeks ago over the phone (and email), the cost to get the policy today has jumped by $450 for the Model X. Apparently the quote is just 'indicative' and not binding. Same story with the Model 3 quote which has now jumped by $250.

Even though they have factored in discounts for other insurance policies and 10+ year Silver member, the quotes from AAMI and GIO are cheaper. I am going to go with GIO Platinum. Screw you RACV.

SR+, my bad.

2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard RWD (SR+), picked it up on Wednesday in Melbourne.

Inputs:
* 36 y/o Male from Eastern Melbourne
* favourable driving history, except for Hail damage Dec 2017, and 3-6 month licence suspension JUN 2016 (more than 3 years ago)
* Garaged

Results (DESC):
* GIO $1331 Exc: $1600 Agreed: $66K +Added additional premium for Windscreen/roof damage.
* Commbank $1376 Exc: $1650 Market Value
* AAMI $1443 Exc: $1775 Agreed: $69K
* Suncorp $1578 Exc: $1650 Agreed: $69K
* RACV $1619 Exc: $1500
* Shannons $2179 Exc: $750 (Unchangeable) - quote via phone
* QBE $4200
* BudgetDirect $5149 Exc: $1300
* ING $5200
* AusPost $5600
* all others wouldn't via online, or would not insure this vehicle.

Hope this helps you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rastafaria
Compared to the earlier quote they gave me 2 weeks ago over the phone (and email), the cost to get the policy today has jumped by $450 for the Model X. Apparently the quote is just 'indicative' and not binding. Same story with the Model 3 quote which has now jumped by $250.
Same thing happened with me but in reverse. Quote from AAMI 2 weeks ago was $1200. I finally purchased it today for the car pickup on monday, and the price suddenly dropped by $200, so it cost me $1000 in the end. Very happy about that!

Reactions: Tigger
Really liking GIO platinum cover.

$2326 for a P3D in Vic
- Lifetime new for old. I've seen some Tesla's written off if the door sills are bent
- Unlimited hire car. To cover long delays common with Tesla repairs
- Windscreen and window glass cover. Tesla glass seems quite damage prone and lots of break ins.

Last edited:
For those folks lucky (or unlucky) to be over 50, try APIA.

Back in July they quoted $1558 for Performance M3.
Gargaged Sydney, no demerit points but one at fault claim this year (self inflicted panel damage parking)

I had ordered Blue LR AWD last month but Telsa offered P- today to get my order filled sooner.
APIA quoted $1439 today, $645 excess, no windscreen, 10k-15k km/yr.
- includes 2yr new on total loss, 10yrs replace new if theft.
Cover myself and wife as 2nd driver for Performance. (we are both just over 50)
They didn't have P- option despite me mentioning it is missing performance pack but perhaps as the price is same as LR AWD the premium is almost the same?

Most other mainstream insurers had ridiculous premiums for me.

Reactions: Vostok
What! Today? Woo hoo you!
I placed my order on 3rd October for the AWD as well so now I have my hopes up real high!
As for insurance, thanks for the APIA tip, I'll give them a shot.
When are you collecting it?
Ordered 4th Sep but I have been reservation holder since Apr 2016 (4 days after reservations started in AU) so that may have been factor in the offer?
They said the car should be a couple of weeks so maybe mid Nov. Also said LR AWDs won't be here until at least December.
I would have thought there were quite a few people ordering the Blue LR AWD so figured I better say 'yes please' quickly.
Maybe the original order for that blue P- fell through if it is on its way or here now?