Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not particularly impressed with Direct line (premium) website quote:

script>

My current machine is a 13 year old 1 litre Nissan Micra

OK, so I suppose if they had offered you the same price as that then you would have been impressed - me too!

Obviously some issues around whether you live in central London etc., and some other issues around DL having pretty much a monopoly for early adopters ... but other than that I reckon the top-and-bottom is that Insurance Company thinks its £50K hypercar

Thanks guys

DJP31 - you rock mate. Thanks so much mate for taking the time to provide so many details. I appreciate it
Direct line are okay.Churchill and privilege are the same company but with lower premiums - watch the excesses though.Nectar points to confused.com to churchill (or privilege) and you get 2500 nectar points worth £12.50.
I have to say privilege have very good service - confused.com to churchill and you get free legal cover aswell !

Reactions: Rob R
My current machine is a 13 year old 1 litre Nissan Micra
I had a P-reg Micra not too long ago and even with 5-6 years NCB and living in central London my premium was around £500 (about double what the car was worth). I now pay about double that for the MX so go figure.

Try Admiral. DL quoted about £300 more for me and my wife who only has a few years on her license.

I did a quote on GoCompare and it came back with about 20 quotes from different providers, the cheapest of which was about £600, £200 more than my current car (A4 Avant). My current insurer is LV so I’ll probably call them first to see what they will quote to change the policy to cover the Model 3, as well as check with Direct Line. These 2 seem to be referenced often as the only options for Tesla insurance so I was surprised to get so many quotes via GoCompare.

I did a quote on GoCompare and it came back with about 20 quotes from different providers, the cheapest of which was about £600, £200 more than my current car (A4 Avant). My current insurer is LV so I’ll probably call them first to see what they will quote to change the policy to cover the Model 3, as well as check with Direct Line. These 2 seem to be referenced often as the only options for Tesla insurance so I was surprised to get so many quotes via GoCompare.
Be careful with quotes as when I look at go compare it only shows me the LHD performance version and not the RHD variants?

Reactions: Rooster6655
My current insurer, part of Admiral, offered me a decent enough "change cars" quote so I can complete the insurance year. I had to phone though. Nothing on the online system, and they had to go away and consult their underwriter before they would quote, took a couple of days. Annual quotes I am getting are in the high fours, twice what I pay now, but I doubled the mileage. It is clear that body repairs on Teslas are very expensive, so it's not unreasonable in my view, safety features or no.

FWIW, I've just gone from a MS P85D to MS P100. When I first insured the P85 I went with NFU mutual who were then offering the best deal. They put it up about 5% for the second year and similar for year 3. Meanwhile, at some stage I think in year two of my deal, they announced that they were no longer offering insurance for Tesla to new customers but would honour existing customers. I got a good deal from Direct Line for my P100 and took it. I phoned NFU to cancel my existing and had a very good chat with the guy that handled matters. Essentially he said that NFU had been caught out by the cost of repair to Tesla and 'got stung' a little. They are now, he said, quoting for Tesla again so it might just be worthwhile getting an offer just to see how they compare.

Not particularly impressed with Direct line (premium) website quote:

script>

This is actually a good price you have been quoted, I don't find them competitive for me, but there is specifically high quotes on the model 3 for me. For example my current car is double the price with DL or Churchill so its not a Tesla specific thing, I can also get a P100D with them and its cheaper than a model 3

Just got a tentative quote from tesla's link to DL for a M3P. £1040 with 9years NCD. My current 911 991.1 cab is only £550. :eek:

Another one who are quoting for model is Novo Insurance Liverpool they are a broker, anyone ordering the performance and has a high quote from DL or Churchill should try these people, minimum car value is £50k (ex grant) though so performance only.

I also applied online to LV which lists itself as a Tesla M3 insurance provider. Filled out the form which included my Drivers Licence details. Then when it went to Quote it came back “ We dont insure that Car!”
I’m outraged and very pist off. Have complained. Demanding £100 compensation and that they delete ALL my data.
I got £150 from Aviva yesterday for a series of mess ups. It’s the only way you can bring these companies to task!

They will only do it over the phone and their quotes are rubbish tbf and base the quote on a Model S then say once the data comes though it might go up!

Does anyone have much experience with multicar policies?

I currently have insurance for my 1.4 Petrol Hyundai i30 through LV, costs me about £300 including another named driver and protected NCD.
Churchill quote me £593 for my SR+, Direct Line are similar (LV's systems are all messed up and won't quote for M3 at all yet, LHD is the only option and then it errors out saying "We don't insure this type of car")

I am thinking of keeping my i30 for the time being, assuming LV would get somewhere near the Churchill £593 base cost (big assumption), do multicar policies normally offer much in the way of a discount or should I be getting prepared for £900 total insurance cost?

Does anyone have much experience with multicar policies?

I currently have insurance for my 1.4 Petrol Hyundai i30 through LV, costs me about £300 including another named driver and protected NCD.
Churchill quote me £593 for my SR+, Direct Line are similar (LV's systems are all messed up and won't quote for M3 at all yet, LHD is the only option and then it errors out saying "We don't insure this type of car")

I am thinking of keeping my i30 for the time being, assuming LV would get somewhere near the Churchill £593 base cost (big assumption), do multicar policies normally offer much in the way of a discount or should I be getting prepared for £900 total insurance cost?
I had a multicar policy about 4 years ago when we got the Leaf. That was with Admiral. They were very competitive when I started it, for the part year on the second car, but when it came to renewal of both they were very expensive, so I split them again to different companies. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: TestPilot