Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just phoned Directline to get my insurance changed on Saturday from Model 3 to Model Y. Increase of £90 for the year. I then asked if I could keep my current tesla insured for a 1 month overlap. Yes you can and we will give you a refund of £76. Er I said - are you sure that is right that you are paying me not the other way round. Apparently. Yes they said, the system says I am a lower risk because I am driving 2 cars and I cant be driving both at once. WTF? Anyway I am happy to be paid £76 to keep my model 3 insured even thought that makes absolutely no sense to me!! They said if I want to extend the overlap further its worth calling back in case I get a further refund!!

Reactions: MrT3
Just phoned Directline to get my insurance changed on Saturday from Model 3 to Model Y. Increase of £90 for the year. I then asked if I could keep my current tesla insured for a 1 month overlap. Yes you can and we will give you a refund of £76. Er I said - are you sure that is right that you are paying me not the other way round. Apparently. Yes they said, the system says I am a lower risk because I am driving 2 cars and I cant be driving both at once. WTF? Anyway I am happy to be paid £76 to keep my model 3 insured even thought that makes absolutely no sense to me!! They said if I want to extend the overlap further its worth calling back in case I get a further refund!!
Bonkers!

Same, Admiral is cheaper to insure both cars. (same price to remove and replace)
Funnily enough I prefer to trade in - so looking for a replacement car! (I suppose I have to pay a further £20 admin fee the next day though)

Possibly an additional refund to be had if you lowered your annual mileage proportionally (assuming you will be driving both cars reasonably equally).

Q: Does this vehicle have any security features?
Has anyone selected Immobiliser and Tracker? (assuming the tracker feature is part of Tesla's find my car feature and the fact it has LTE data)
I think the tracker has to be a Thatchem tracker as the Tesla find my car type tracker is not recognised as a tracker as it is only active when the wheels are turning.

I just selected the immobiliser option when getting insurance.

Reactions: dangrenade
Sometimes declaring a tracker will increase the quoted premium, on basis of the need to fit suggests increased replacement value.

Some insurer underwriters prefer the ‘manufacturer fitted’ option, only one or two list a manufacturer factory-fitted Thatcham Category 1 option for immobiliser/alarm, which all Tesla’s EVs essentially meet due to being fully electronic.

I then asked if I could keep my current tesla insured for a 1 month overlap. Yes you can and we will give you a refund of £76. Er I said - are you sure that is right that you are paying me not the other way round. Apparently. Yes they said, the system says I am a lower risk because I am driving 2 cars and I cant be driving both at once. WTF?
This adds more evidence to my theory that car insurance quotes are just set by a random number generator. I re-added commuting to my renewal quote with Admiral because I took it off due to working from home for the past 2 years. My policy went down by over £100. So I drive more miles, in the rush hour & my car no longer just sits safely on my driveway all day & pay less for insurance? Not that I'm complaining...

Reactions: QuanTim
I think the tracker has to be a Thatchem tracker as the Tesla find my car type tracker is not recognised as a tracker as it is only active when the wheels are turning.

I just selected the immobiliser option when getting insurance.
"only active when the wheels are turning".
My model 3 shows its location in the app when parked, otherwise what would be the use of navigate to the car function?

Reactions: Adopado
My model 3 shows its location in the app when parked, otherwise what would be the use of navigate to the car function?
Location isn't updated unless the vehicle is powered up. Put it on a low loader and transport it somewhere and the location won't update.

Also the location info isn't directly accessible by the police to track a stolen car, unlike a 'real' tracker.

It's often said but doesn't make sense - the car uses GPS location which isn't dependent on wheels at all.

Only way to prove it would be to drive it around on the top of a flatbed though.. and nobody is really going to do that experiment.

That said most insurance companies seem to recognise the tesla tracker as such when asked. Mostly I don't think they even bother with the answers given in comparison websites because the moment you tick the 'unmodified from manufacturer spec' button that overrides any other answers esp. ambiguous ones.

You literally claimed 2 posts ago that the statement "only active when the wheels are turning" made sense because of LTE.

So what are *you* getting at? My contention is that statement is just something that's said a lot but is basically rubbish - probably someone confused by the way the car uses the wheels to determine speed.