Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At home, not plugged in. It works fine, if you don't want a circa 1% drain per 12 hours just toggle the smart charging on/off when needed in the app.
Before IO I used ev.energy and I am sure I did not "waste" about 2kwh (1-2%?) from being woken up and "topped off" during the night. Except for the charging outside of the 6h slot. I may go back to ev.energy to see if there really was a difference.

Anyone know why there would be no charging plan appear after plugging in? Regardless of departure time set and charge %, a plan isn’t given. Cheers

Edit: It’s there now. Stupid question…. If you have a really low charge, and want to charge high, does IO charge to max it can up to 4am? So essentially it may need to charge from 8pm to 4am for example. In this case you’re getting many hours of off peak for your entire house. Hope that makes sense. This for example:

08B0AB3F-58F1-41D1-8CF1-FDD7C7E52540.png

Last edited:
Anyone know why there would be no charging plan appear after plugging in? Regardless of departure time set and charge %, a plan isn’t given. Cheers
Mine just went weird and gave me a 30min charge all night - until I remembered I'd changed my Tesla password, so it therefore couldn't communicate. Forgetting the car from the Octopus app and re-adding it gave me a proper schedule.

Edit: It’s there now. Stupid question…. If you have a really low charge, and want to charge high, does IO charge to max it can up to 4am?
Fixed off-peak rate is 23:30-05:30

But IO can schedule any time between 17:00-11:00 and give you off-peak rates.

Although oddly, someone with the Android app is reporting they get IO schedules sometimes right through the day. Don't know why that is.

Reactions: UrbanSplash

Edit: It’s there now. Stupid question…. If you have a really low charge, and want to charge high, does IO charge to max it can up to 4am? So essentially it may need to charge from 8pm to 4am for example. In this case you’re getting many hours of off peak for your entire house. Hope that makes sense. This for example:

no, its random. Well, obviously not random - it’ll be based on when Octopus expect to have the cheapest, cleanest energy. So it can be early in the evening, or can push on later.

I would guess that the periods it chooses line up at least fairly well with octopus agile lower prices during 8pm-7am period for instance (assuming you’re setting to charge by 7am)

I'm tracking down a reason why my car isn't sleeping. IO and Watch for Tesla are the 2 remaining candidates!

Is there anyone on here with IO and Teslamate or TeslaFi who can see if their car is sleeping at all? Even with smart charging off my car wasn't sleeping. I've changed the password and it slept within 10 mins after not sleeping since charging finished at 530am.

I'm tracking down a reason why my car isn't sleeping. IO and Watch for Tesla are the 2 remaining candidates!

Is there anyone on here with IO and Teslamate or TeslaFi who can see if their car is sleeping at all? Even with smart charging off my car wasn't sleeping. I've changed the password and it slept within 10 mins after not sleeping since charging finished at 530am.
Always sleeps if you disable smart charging.
If smart charging is on and car plugged in you will see a 45 min sleep/15 min awake pattern
If smart charging is on and car is unplugged it will keep the car awake permanently

Always sleeps if you disable smart charging.
If smart charging is on and car plugged in you will see a 45 min sleep/15 min awake pattern
If smart charging is on and car is unplugged it will keep the car awake permanently
I concur that is expected behaviour, but as per my pic above my car is never sleeping. Have Disconnected car from IO and just about to reconnect it!

and now adding in things one step at a time!
I know you'd said you had disabled smart charging and if so this doesn't apply, but:

Where you have two apps that both poll the API, e.g. IO (plugged in, smart charging on) and Tesla Watch. Where you would normally expect *some* sleep, then depending on the polling frequency if each app you can easily create a polling overlap situation where the car will not sleep at all.

Note again, this would not apply if have disabled smart charging all together.

Where you have two apps that both poll the API, e.g. IO (plugged in, smart charging on) and Tesla Watch. Where you would normally expect *some* sleep, then depending on the polling frequency if each app you can easily create a polling overlap situation where the car will not sleep at all.

Thanks - So I had Tesla watch with background polling off and also in travel mode, so it shouldn't ever wake the car. I also had IO off. But the car never slept!

IO now reconnected and its sleeping....as it was when I just did the Watch app yesterday. I do wonder if there is something when both are connected that caused me issues?

1651592353997.png