Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My trip to Lexington, KY.
IMG_1890.JPG

In my experience, clicking the trip button after routing (to get to that screen) is vital to knowing what the nav is up to. It is not clear that it is taking you on a 500 mile detour when the distance shown is to the first charge stop, and you think it is the distance to your destination.

So yes, very confusing. I hope they improve this in the future.

In my experience, clicking the trip button after routing (to get to that screen) is vital to knowing what the nav is up to. It is not clear that it is taking you on a 500 mile detour when the distance shown is to the first charge stop, and you think it is the distance to your destination.

So yes, very confusing. I hope they improve this in the future.

Coincidentally, while reading another thread I just learned that you can turn this off (trip planner) in the settings for the nav app.

Yeah that's the same ridiculous route I get if I route to Lexington, KY. I don't think a direct route from either here or North Wilkesboro is possible direct. Will need to charge somewhere to make it. Supercharger in Knoxville, TN is almost done which will make it possible to do from my place without really going out the way. About 50 miles out of the way from North Wilkesboro, though.

Oddly enough, when coming back from the east (heading west) on I-85/I-40, the planner tells me to go to Charlotte from Burlington instead of heading straight home. That would add over an hour (~50 miles plus charging) to trip and the Charlotte supercharger is only ~10 miles closer to Burlington than my house.... makes no sense.

Definitely needs some work.

Used trip planner to set a route from Roseville ca to mammoth mountain. Why would it have us drive past our destination on to the lone pine superchargers, then turn around and return us to mammoth mountain. Adds 200 miles after we pass mammoth mountain. I'll have to add a photo tomorrow as my table won't upload it.

My experience with the trip planner is it simply doesn't work. My last road trip to California and back (from Seattle) consisted of me charging for 10-15 minutes past the point where it said I had enough range to get to my next destination, but then it would attempt to route me back to the charger I just left until I reached the next charger. It was so frustrating I finally disabled it in the settings. This is on top of the navigation no longer recognizing the directional indicators in addresses (SW, NW, E, etc), so my car now thinks my home is located about 15 miles away on the other side of Seattle.