Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Intentional Hyperbole] How FSD Beta Tried To Kill Me Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me start off by stating that I am happy to be included as an FSD beta tester. Much of what FSD beta does is truly amazing, and I look forward to seeing the progress. However, sometimes it fails to complete a maneuver in a safe manner. In this case, FSD beta did not slow down enough before the turn and then attempted to complete the turn too late. It was about to leave the roadway when I took over. What is surprising is that the FSD beta has previously completed this turn without any problem. I don't know what was different about this time. I did report the incident using the screen icon. Note that I would have interceded sooner if there was a risk of an accident.

I’m pretty sure I had to read and accept the terms prior to accepting the beta......something along the lines of I had to pay attention because it could do the worst possible thing at the worst possible time.

I remember the first time I entered a game reserve in South Africa and one of the warnings was I might be eaten. Yes, I didno’ t think I would but I knew it was a possibility when I walked to my lodge at night, armed with a flashlight.

Reactions: queenamydala
...FSD beta did not slow down enough before the turn and then attempted to complete the turn too late....

Are you talking about the first turn from the larger road turning into a smaller street at around 00:03:00 mark?

If so, it still did a very decent job with many other twists and curves for the rest of the video!

It only "tried to kill" you once and saved you in many other twists and turns so does that even out?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
Let me start off by stating that I am happy to be included as an FSD beta tester. Much of what FSD beta does is truly amazing, and I look forward to seeing the progress. However, sometimes it fails to complete a maneuver in a safe manner. In this case, FSD beta did not slow down enough before the turn and then attempted to complete the turn too late. It was about to leave the roadway when I took over. What is surprising is that the FSD beta has previously completed this turn without any problem. I don't know what was different about this time. I did report the incident using the screen icon. Note that I would have interceded sooner if there was a risk of an accident.

Your title is clickbait. FSD Beta did not try to kill you. First, "try" implies premeditation and intent. FSD Beta has no intent towards you. Second, that accident would have damaged your car for sure but it would not have killed you.

Having said, your case is a good example of why it is necessary to always be vigilant with FSD Beta. If the environment changes even in a small way, vision-only can behave differently and possibly make a mistake. You should never assume that just because FSD Beta handles a maneuver fine before that it will automatically handle it fine in the future.

Yeah this is pretty much a run-of-the-mill FSD f*ckup. I'm usually going thru the motions of steering when FSD makes turns, and I find that the instant it swerves, it essentially disengages itself because I've got slight torque on the wheel. This avoids the situation you got into and keeps things safe.

There's no advantage to taking over "at the last responsible moment" except to create a clickbait video.

I stopped using FSD. It just makes me nervous and then angry when it does dumb stuff like this. Yesterday at a long 1 lane road at a stop light FSD tried to go across 2 double yellow lanes while I was waiting for the light to turn green. There were probably 12 cars in lime waiting for the light in front of me. It's also using outdated map because it would put me in lanes that was converted to left turns only.

Reactions: BCNY
Yeah this is pretty much a run-of-the-mill FSD f*ckup. I'm usually going thru the motions of steering when FSD makes turns, and I find that the instant it swerves, it essentially disengages itself because I've got slight torque on the wheel. This avoids the situation you got into and keeps things safe.

There's no advantage to taking over "at the last responsible moment" except to create a clickbait video.

This is the way to go.

Essentially hold the steering wheel where you would drive the car. If there is a significant deviation with FSD then there would be an automatic disengagement.

I thought it was obvious that the title was half in jest. For those lacking a sense of humor, please use the following title: “FSD beta tried to take a turn at 35 mph and headed straight for a large brick structure without braking, which, without intervention, would have resulted in significant damage and possible injury.” Somehow, that just does t have the same ring to it, ha!

I thought it was obvious that the title was half in jest. For those lacking a sense of humor, please use the following title: “FSD beta tried to take a turn at 35 mph and headed straight for a large brick structure without braking, which, without intervention, would have resulted in significant damage and possible injury.” Somehow, that just does t have the same ring to it, ha!

"FSD required manual disengagement on right turn". Accurate. Doesn't have the same ring to it, but maybe that indicates it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

You also can't force people to laugh at your jokes. No need to assume people have no sense of humor.

Look we all get it.

Just be mindful that with titles like that the natural result would be some article somewhere that talks about how on the forums customers are talking about how they were almost "killed." There will not be any nuance or context.

When I drive with FSD Beta, I don't treat it like Autopilot, which I consider quite predictable. I basically drive the car so that any significant FSD deviation results in an automatic disgorgement event with the data uploaded to Tesla so they can improve.

Honestly I think this is how EVERYONE should use FSD Beta. I see too many instances of 'Let's see what it can do" when the better approach is I'm going to point the car to do the safe and right thing, ALWAYS. If it does something else, cause a disengagement so they can make it better.

We will all be able to enjoy this more later but now is the time cause disengagements when it's not doing exactly what it should, especially with turns and getting too close to curbs or other obstacles.

I thought it was obvious that the title was half in jest.
No, its not obvious the title is in Jest. It looks like what it actually is, which is a thread with a clickbait title trying to stand out in the sea of everyone else trying to create FSD posts for people to click on in this subforum complete with a youtube video for extra clicks.

Horrible title. Now, the other day FSD tried to pull out into a 2 lane road from the exit off ramp with cross traffic, stopped, and started to continue through coming inches away from getting hit on the driver side.... that could be considered it was trying to kill me, but I hit the brakes and the problem was avoided. THIS is why we must pay great attention to this beta and not try to sit in the back seat and let it drive :D

Just watch. This video clip and title will be “reported” (blogged) by someone trying to put a stop to Tesla’s FSD a development (or just put a stop to Tesla period). They’ll conveniently leave out that you wrote the title partially in jest, or that you weren’t really in danger and could have easily taken over earlier.

As for FSD beta, as many have noted in the past, neural networks are by design/nature less predictable than “normal” programming. Not performing a task correctly after many times of no issues is exactly what should be expected at this stage.