Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Involved in an Accident with Model 3 - 2023 | Need opinion and tips on handling claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this club and forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. (USA/Texas)

Last week, I was involved in an accident with Model 3 and still haven't made a claim with Tesla Insurance, while I am working with the involved party's insurance investigation.
Who do you guys think is at fault here in this accident, I have attached 4 videos of the Dash cam.

Hope you are well!

I am sad to say that this footage (in my opinion) does not help you. It essentially looks as if you over-reacted and drove yourself off the road. The guy is a complete moron for turning into your lane, though I feel like if you would have hit that idiot head on you would have been clear of any fault because in this case he didn't hit you, and you veered off the road onto the grass (obviously scared to hit him).

I'm clearly not an insurance adjuster, but that is just my 2 cents. If it was my decision I would put 100% fault on the other car for making a dangerous maneuver.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with you! I have had this feeling before sharing with the adjuster. The driver of the other car dint realize even after I pass and completed her illegal turn into the street from the extreme right lane. I basically saved the insurance company from paying for the damages to both cars, or may be the occupants, I was worried hitting a stationary car, the impact would have been too bad at the driver side door of the other car possibly leading to major injuries with the speed I was at. The teen girl who was driving was pretty scared after this and accepted her fault at the scene (No police reports :( ) but her mom got involved and now is denying liability and statements.

Upvote 0
I think our opinions don't matter, only that of the law and of your insurance companies. If I were you, I'd call *my* insurance company and let them deal with this instead of dealing with the other party's insurance.

Regarding who is at fault, again just opinions... seems 100% on the other party to me.

The last video seems to clearly show that it was a very narrow miss due to your maneuver.

It used to be (at least I think) that if you hit someone from behind, it was your fault 100% of the time... but that changed and now the leading car has to have a good reason to hard brake. Someone could say that same thing here (they didn't hit you, you ran off the road), but it's pretty clear that you would have hit the driver's side of the other car if you didn't turn. Perhaps you saved a life. I would hope that the other party's insurance covers this 100%.

Good luck, glad everyone was okay.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with you! I have had this feeling before sharing with the adjuster. The driver of the other car dint realize even after I pass and completed her illegal turn into the street from the extreme right lane. I basically saved the insurance company from paying for the damages to both cars, or may be the occupants, I was worried hitting a stationary car, the impact would have been too bad at the driver side door of the other car possibly leading to major injuries with the speed I was at. The teen girl who was driving was pretty scared after this and accepted her fault at the scene (No police reports :( ) but her mom got involved and now is denying liability and statements.
I have no doubt you did the morally right thing by avoiding her car and potentially saving her from death/major injury, but, as I am sure you know by now, no good deed goes unpunished.

I agree with the poster below me in saying contact your insurance and let them fight with the girls insurance to pay the damages. Hope everything goes your way!

Upvote 0
Other driver turned into your lane without looking, no question.

Police report? Should have been called.

Is Texas a no-fault state? In which case, you call your insurance company. Then you let your insurance company duke it outwith the other insurance company; believe you me, insurance companies are much better equipped to duke it out with each other than for any individual to try and get blood out of a stone from the other insurance company.

Besides, not calling your insurance company after an accident can invite some serious problems, especially if the contract you signed with your insurer requires you to make immediate contact. (Yes, an insurance policy is a contract. Both judges and arbiters take a very dim view of violating the terms of a contract.)

In NJ, a no-fault state, when something vaguely like this happened to me some years back, my insurance paid for the repairs and all except for the deductible. Then, when the other insurance company admitted their driver was at fault a month or so later, I got a check in the mail from my crowd for the amount of the deductible. And my insurance company made a point of saying my rates weren't going to change as a result of all this, since it clearly wasn't my fault.

Now, many, many moons ago in Indiana, where I was going to college at the time, one snowy day caused an interstate off-ramp in the middle of farm country to become covered with glare ice. I figured this out when touching the brakes resulted in No Action At All, followed by frantic manual brake pumping (long before antilock brakes were common) for several hundred yards, finally slowly decelerating to a halt a hundred yards before the end of the ramp.

Hyperventilated for a few seconds, then looked in the rear-view mirror: Here comes some older guy in a Big Car with this look on his face, "Geez, why did that guy stop right there?", followed by him turning the wheel to go around me and, of course, his car continuing on its merry way with nary any change in direction and ramming more poor college econobox in the rear. It was driveable, but the bumper was badly banged up. the trunk would close.. barely. and it drove funny.

Open and shut, right? He got me. But Indiana, at the time, was a, "fault" state, and State Farm, his insurer, decided that paying a poor as blazes college student wasn't in the cards. First, the old fart had to file a police report. (There already was one.) Then he had to file a statement. Then paperwork had to be processed. The accident happened in February; by the time school let out in May for the summer, they still hadn't paid.

Then California, the state where I had a summer job, occurred. After managing to get over the Rockies, got settled in, and gave the State Farm branch over there a call, asking, "Well, I've been working with your branch in Indiana. I'm here now. What do I do next?".

The voice on the phone politely took my claim numbers and such and started to sound more and more agitated as the details sunk in. After getting my land-line number (no cell phones back then), she forecefully ordered me to stay on hold, not go anywhere, and wait.

Five minutes later she and another person got on the line, and ordered me to take the car to some State Farm service center. Immediately. Like, this second. Go!

Got in the car, limped over to this place a few miles away, and some adjuster crawled around under the car for a few minutes, popped out, filled out some paperwork, and told me to Call This Number in a couple hours.

Feeling that I'd fallen into some kind of whirlpool, called back. Was told to take the car to an auto body shop ASAP and was given a new claim number. Got them to give me the name of such a body shop (I was really, really new to CA), which they did.

Car was fixed in, like, three days, new bumper, frame straightened, and all. I didn't have to pay anything.

As I said, CA happened. Turns out that then, and I believe still now, CA's department of consumer protection has the habit of setting up oddball damaged cars under weird (but fake) circumstances, then plopping these situations upon insurance companies, repair shops, and the like. Rumor has it that they have spiders on staff to leave cobwebs and the like in places on the gear/cars/whatever so it's not obvious that this is happening. You know those auto repair places where, after sizing up the customer and, if they're ignorant enough, they get told that, on top of everything else, they desperately need a radiator flush for $1000, or the car will break down? Those people (and, we're talking dealerships, not just a crooked idiot mechanic on a corner somewhere) get shut down for months for those kinds of shenanigans. Repeat offenders get shut down, period.

In the face of this, repair shops, insurance companies, and so forth, when faced with, shall we say, somewhat shifty situations tend to overreact madly. Nice, if one is a consumer.

Upvote 0
I didn't call police more than 30 years ago because the girl begged me not to, and begged and promised she would pay. You can guess how that ended up. From then on, I've called police and had everything documented whenever there's been an incident. People can be very "sincere" and convincing when they're scared. And their attitude does an about face when they're in the clear and have zero reason to own up or pay up.

Upvote 0
Had something similar happen to my sister. Someone cut into the lane and she steered left and hit the concrete curb. Messed up the bottom bumper. And the other car just fled the scene since no contact were made. My advice is to hit it head on on those situations. You can try to brake as hard but don't do big evasive maneuvers. What if to your left is the on coming traffic. It would be a head on collision. You could also hit other stationary objects such as concrete divider and house.

It seems that you only hit a few small trees and bushes from the video. I assume the damage is fairly minor. Send the video to the other insurance company. The statements are fairly useless since there is video evidence of what happened. If they admit fault, proceed from there. If they deny it, you can then go with your own insurance. Give them a dead line on providing you with a response. If they keep delaying it, just proceed with your own insurance.

Upvote 0
Other car is wrong for turning into your lane but you are at fault for an appalling reaction to what probably just required a heavy foot on the brakes.

The car was visible and had an indicator warning you they were about to potentially make a stupid manoeuvre. I see no evidence in the video of an effort from you at breaking in advance.

Reactions: skygraff
Upvote 0