Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ionity, LOL. 67p/kWh from 1st Feb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL

Yes please

Not sure how they can tax road use, the GPS method is flawed, toll gates are expensive. Maybe sticking cameras everywhere and making the entire UK some kind of congestion zone.

Oh its the good old size of electric motor that will be tax banded so with the Tesla power rating thats what a V10? I really should not be thinking up these ideas no road tax is fun.... activate pot hole avoidance algorithm!

• Informative
Reactions: JIBYC
LOL

Yes please

Not sure how they can tax road use, the GPS method is flawed, toll gates are expensive. Maybe sticking cameras everywhere and making the entire UK some kind of congestion zone.
A couple of US states have been trialing it out for a while with black boxes in car. Not sure what the tech is.
Can't be that hard. I mean if we can have a virtual boarder in Ireland this should be easy.....

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
You paying £7 for your membership to use a free charger? - Why not cancel the membership, keep the card (I have and still use it) and use the free charger. Saved you £7 :p You can buy me a pint when i see you next!
I was wondering about this - the Polar card still works even if you cancel your membership?

I figured yes since charge slow 7kw charge points don't seem to connect to the internet to confirm the card is active, correct?

Do the 50kw rapid chargers check a valid card over the internet?

I was wondering about this - the Polar card still works even if you cancel your membership?

I figured yes since charge slow 7kw charge points don't seem to connect to the internet to confirm the card is active, correct?

Do the 50kw rapid chargers check a valid card over the internet?
I cancelled mine in November, card works with free chargers and I use it for tap to pay rapids. I press the Credit card logo on the screen, tap the polar card in the middle, followed by tapping debit card on the pay machine. This seems the only way I can tap to pay.

Its dead easy and relatively cheap. You don't need a camera or GPS. A cheap rf long life identifying device in the car (in same way that we had tax discs) and a receiver on the routes they want to charge for. It could be rolled out very quickly and is getting even easier as time progresses and proprietary tech becomes more open.

For instance, Bluetooth LE can already be used for some anonymous road monitoring. You can easily sniff Bluetooth devices in the car (car, phone, watch, headphones etc) and track those along a route. Just go for a short drive with a bluetooth le sniffer and you will end up with a constantly changing list of bluetooth devices that runs to several pages.

Not sure if these are around any more but article from back in 2012 ITS International - Bluetooth traffic monitoring

Last edited:
Its dead easy and relatively cheap. You don't need a camera or GPS. A cheap rf long life identifying device in the car (in same way that we had tax discs) and a receiver on the routes they want to charge for. It could be rolled out very quickly and is getting even easier as time progresses and proprietary tech becomes more open.

For instance, Bluetooth LE can already be used for some anonymous road monitoring. You can easily sniff Bluetooth devices in the car (car, phone, watch, headphones etc) and track those along a route. Just go for a short drive with a bluetooth le sniffer and you will end up with a constantly changing list of bluetooth devices that runs to several pages.

Not sure if these are around any more but article from back in 2012 ITS International - Bluetooth traffic monitoring
That's fine for pricing some roads or at varying rates but as a replacement for fuel duty surely you want to price ALL roads in which case the road side monitoring bit becomes redundant. All you need is for the car to log and report all miles covered though of course the 2 concepts are not mutually exclusive you could charge for all miles then a higher rate for say motorways using roadside monitors or just GPS.
Maybe different rates at different times of day as well to cut congestion?

That's fine for pricing some roads or at varying rates but as a replacement for fuel duty surely you want to price ALL roads in which case the road side monitoring bit becomes redundant. All you need is for the car to log and report all miles covered though of course the 2 concepts are not mutually exclusive you could charge for all miles then a higher rate for say motorways using roadside monitors or just GPS

Last I heard, it will be time and use they are mostly interested in. So not all roads need to be covered and you don't need 100% coverage. A significant part of time and use pricing is to deter road use in certain areas and those areas will already have road infrastructure in place. If you can make a journey on a low use road, they wont be so interested and its possible over time that these become self managing - if that route becomes a problem over time, rolling out a sensor will be straight forward and making it chargeable will likely benefit usage patterns - mission accomplished. Average everything out, they can achieve their overall revenue objectives from the higher use roads and it will benefit those that use the roads less or at quieter times.

They could just reintroduce an annual road tax as existed before. It would be cheap to run and easy to police.

And absolutely not fair if its £1500/year when you only sit at home and do shopping trips.

I can see them transitioning to a zones/roads used system (so off roading on your own land won't get you taxed), similar to the CC zone in London.

Just not any time soon. All the tech needs to be agreed by the bureaucracy and EV usage has to be a lot higher for them to take notice. Right now we are in the incentives stage, and probably will be for another 5 years.

I don't see the issue with GPS in the form of a "black box" (paid for by us as part of first vehicle registration) - and it seems logical to me to charge differently for different routes. That also seems to me to be the cheapest to implement, a single cheap black box in each car rather than loads of infrastructure on the roads.

It could be policed by requiring the vehicle to report routes within a set time alongside mobile or static checks like the current "road tax vans". If a van detects you've driven a particular route but your vehicle hasn't reported it then a fine pops through your letterbox.

A couple of US states have been trialing it out for a while with black boxes in car. Not sure what the tech is.
Can't be that hard. I mean if we can have a virtual boarder in Ireland this should be easy.....
There was a perfectly rational road pricing scheme proposed a few years ago in the UK but it was shot down by refinery blockades involving our very own Gilets Jaunes movement...

the GPS method is flawed

In a previous job, the company cars had trackers which the admin person would use to determine private mileage i.e. anything outside of office hours.
Our admin person wasn't the sharpest tool in the box and frequently tried to dock the engineers' wages by several thousand of pounds as the Tracker GPS system used a default location if it couldn't get a signal.

For example: You start a journey at point A. At point B the GPS loses signal so assumes you're at point X. The signal is regained as you continue to point C. The recorded distance travelled is A->B->X->C where X is somewhere in the Atlantic.

I shouldn't have had to argue that it's not possible to drive 10,000miles between finishing work one evening and arriving back the next morning... but I did... more than once :D

This was over 10 years ago so hopefully things have improved since.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc
This was over 10 years ago so hopefully things have improved since.

Even if it has, what if you took it on the track? Should you pay tax to do laps?

What happens when you leave the country?

The ferry trip to somewhere in UK, would it tax you in international waters?

And then good luck proving it to HRMC...

Then there is the ease with which you can tamper with it. Would be fairly simple to disable and drive anywhere, re-enable twice a week, or whatever. It would have to be in a tamper proof box and checked on MOT. Which means standards that car manufacturers have to follow, which means a long time before everyone agrees etc...

Far simpler to just install something similar to congestion zone in London in the entire UK. Starting with motorways.

Or you just get a pass from one of Ionity's partners (for us, that's usually Maingau or Newmotion) and you continue to charge at a fairly reasonable rate.

With Newmotion I still have a rate of €7.6 per session (ideal for low SoC) --but I suspect that Ionity will want to negotiate that away in due course-- and with Maingau I pay €0.35/kWh.

Even at the UK 135kW Ionity chargers that I can find.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tsh2