Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Music Auto Playing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To make the Automation:
In the iOS Shortcuts app at the bottom there may be three buttons "My Shortcuts", "Automation", "Gallery".
Click Automation then the + in the upper right hand corner. Choose "Create Personal Automation".
For the "When" use "Bluetooth" under "Settings" section, then pick your car. Click Next
For the "Action" use "Play/Pause". Touch "Play/Pause in the action and choose "Pause".Touch "iPhone" and choose "iPhone" just to be sure. Click Next.
Click Done.
Be sure the Enable this Automation is toggled to ON, otherwise it will say "Disabled" under the automation description where it should say "Play/Pause".

For the record, still not working for me.

To make the Automation:
In the iOS Shortcuts app at the bottom there may be three buttons "My Shortcuts", "Automation", "Gallery".
Click Automation then the + in the upper right hand corner. Choose "Create Personal Automation".
For the "When" use "Bluetooth" under "Settings" section, then pick your car. Click Next
For the "Action" use "Play/Pause". Touch "Play/Pause in the action and choose "Pause".Touch "iPhone" and choose "iPhone" just to be sure. Click Next.
Click Done.
Be sure the Enable this Automation is toggled to ON, otherwise it will say "Disabled" under the automation description where it should say "Play/Pause".

For the record, still not working for me.
Doesn't this still start the music player when it connects to BlueTooth, but just pauses it? The real desire is to stop it from opening the music app.

Doesn't this still start the music player when it connects to BlueTooth, but just pauses it? The real desire is to stop it from opening the music app.
I don't use the music app, just Overcast. The instruction should pause all audio "on this phone", but doesn't. It does seem to do so when I disconnect from the car by walking away with the phone.

There's an action just called 'Play/Pause' which controls the current media. You can pick that action - go into it and switch it to explicitly be a 'pause' action'. I have it set so on Bluetooth connect to my Tesla, Pause media. If there's a timing issue where the car starts the media after it pauses, (or the phone does - not sure which one does it - it appears to be the phone doing it) then you can add a 'wait' action as well before the pause.

Yeah, the shortcut specifically sends a command to pause the music player. I think that is tied only to the apple music app.
It does follow through and pause Overcast if the Play/Pause action is triggered by other things, including disconnecting from the car, so no, it is not specific to the music player.

If there's a timing issue where the car starts the media after it pauses,
Could be, old MCU1 here.

Update. The simple (no pause) Automation does work now on V10 with iOS 3.1 beta BUT I have to hit "run" on the phone after bluetooth connects. That's two taps on the phone, one in response to the notification and one to actually have the "Automation" run--not very automated.

This bug is so brutal. It frustrates me enough that I will have to consider something other than a Tesla for my next car. A few weeks ago it auto-played audible and finished an audio book. I don't even know where I was in the book.

I just want to be able to turn OFF the media player. I don't want it popping up every time I get into the car and I certainly don't want it to automatically start playing audio from my phone especially when the phone isn't even the selected player.

If I remember correctly it started with V9. It didn’t happen it before that.
It could’ve been that v9 added support for certain Bluetooth profile features and the bug is related.
It may also be indirect in that the Tesla is acting like the Bluetooth media channel is open when it’s really not and only should be when on the phone media tab.
that another car has the same issue gives credence to it being at least partially the iPhones blame.

What I have resorted to is just having it play some stored music on my phone, so that it will not continue to play a podcast or audiobook. This way I’m not using any data, and it is not playing in the background for my audiobooks or podcasts. Yes, this is quite a hassle, and I wish it would get fixed.