Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Music Auto Playing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, it may be happening to many people without them realizing it. It might have to do with whether you had music playing in some recent amount of time. I haven't noticed it for a long time, then after I used my phone for music (which I don't do frequently), now I'm seeing it daily.

I'll bet it does and you don't realize it. I only notice it because I'll occasionally glance at my Apple Watch and see there's a song playing on my iPhone.

That's possible, so I checked. Nope, no problem. Everything running as it should. I had the Tesla app running on my iPhone while I was testing and the "Media" selection on the main menu did appear as it should but the Apple music player was nowhere to be found.

As for my Apple Watch, I hate when the player appears on the watch, so I turned off the automatic feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: dblankenbaker
This is a phone/apple issue. Happens with the iPhone in other cars too. Phone wants to start playing only Apple Music whenever it is connected to an audio player. I never use Apple Music, and use pandora instead. I think because of this, since Pandora was the last audio output from the phone, it will not auto play. Works for me.

My apple watch and iPhone music player comes on every time I get near my car. Just walking by in the garage will activate music player. I never play music on my phone or watch. But Tesla manages to turn it on.

I have tried every setting I can find to kill this and can't find a way to make it stop.

Tesla, please add an off button to the radio so I can simply turn it off and leave it off.

• Love
Reactions: cartwright
That's possible, so I checked. Nope, no problem. Everything running as it should. I had the Tesla app running on my iPhone while I was testing and the "Media" selection on the main menu did appear as it should but the Apple music player was nowhere to be found.

As for my Apple Watch, I hate when the player appears on the watch, so I turned off the automatic feature.

Sounds like if you have a apple watch then the phone wont autoplay when connected to Tesla? The phone playing music wont show up in the Tesla phone app. You should see it in the lock screen where your music is playing and you have an option to stop. You wont hear the music unless you take a phone call, then you get some music when your call hangs up and switches back the your previous audio.

Please confirm since I'm going to buy a Apple watch if this fixes the issue.

Thanks!

This happens to me whether I’m wearing my Apple Watch or not so certainly doesn’t fix it for me. Sometimes I can get it to not auto play if I fully close the music app and then turn the phone completely off and back on before getting into my MS. I say sometimes cause it doesn’t seem to always work. What does seem 100% is that if it does not auto play for whatever reason, it most definitely does after I use the phone in the car for making or receiving a call. After I hang up the call, the music app autoplays. This has happened to me with both Spotify and Apple Music.

This: 3 pulls into garage to the left of the X with driver on iphone. The X is unlocked. Call moves to the X while the driver is still in the 3 then moves back when driver exits. Does V10 stop the madness?

It's gotten even worse with iOS 13: Now, with the player started every time I get into my vehicle, 11% of my battery usage is due to "Music Background Activity", and another 22% attributed to "Lock Screen", as it updates the currently playing song and scrolls its title. And I never even use the music played on the phone! But I can't stop the phone from starting it.

It's gotten even worse with iOS 13: Now, with the player started every time I get into my vehicle, 11% of my battery usage is due to "Music Background Activity", and another 22% attributed to "Lock Screen", as it updates the currently playing song and scrolls its title. And I never even use the music played on the phone! But I can't stop the phone from starting it.
It’s very frustrating. Neither Tesla nor Apple seem to even acknowledge or address it. At least that I’ve seen.