Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X phone call garbled voice

Is your voice garbled when you are on a call?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to see if iOS 11.3 Beta resolves this issue? Sounds like it's clearly an issue with Apple Watch + iPhone X , as when Apple Watch is in Airplane Mode , there is no issue. I'm downloading iOS 11.3 Public Beta 4 now and going to test.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I too am in the same situation as all of you. iPhone X, MS 2017, Apple Watch 1, Apple AirPods. I have not been able to pin down what circumstances make that sometimes my call quality is fine and sometimes not. In all cases, I hear the party perfectly. It is the remote side that tells me I 'sound like an old man' or that I have very 'raspy, robotic voice'. If ever it happens and i reboot my phone, the next calls are perfect. I will try the bluetooth, AirPods disconnect sequence but it is very annoying as i often use my AirPods

Here: iPhone X Problem

Do you use AirPods with your phone? If so, after every time you connect the Airpods and before using the phone in your car you need to turn off Bluetooth on the phone (in settings (not the quick pop-up menu), and disconnect the phone in the car. Then turn on Bluetooth on the phone and recommend in the car. Appears to fix the problem, at least in my case (I am in a Model S, not an X).

Question. I understand the Turn off Bluetooth on the phone in settings but then you say disconnect the phone in the car. What do you mean by that, as if bluetooth is OFF on my phone, the phone will no longer be connected to the car so how can I disconnect it. Do you mean 'forget the device in the car' and later repair it? If so, this is completely unusable as a solution, even temporary. Did I misunderstand that 'disconnect the phone in the car' step? Thanks

Question. I understand the Turn off Bluetooth on the phone in settings but then you say disconnect the phone in the car. What do you mean by that, as if bluetooth is OFF on my phone, the phone will no longer be connected to the car so how can I disconnect it. Do you mean 'forget the device in the car' and later repair it? If so, this is completely unusable as a solution, even temporary. Did I misunderstand that 'disconnect the phone in the car' step? Thanks

Yes -I mean select “forget device” in car and then search again.

I agree it is a terrible solution, but at least it fixes the issue in my car. Fortunately I do not use my AirPods frequently.

I’m hoping the upcoming Apple IOS update, combined with the Tesla software updates, will solve the issue..

ok, I have done further testing to try and narrow this down. First, when my voice starts getting garble to the other party, I have put my apple watch on airplane mode and immediately the problem vanishes so for me, this is one temporary fix that is easier than ether unpairing the phone from the car or rebooting the phone (both of which take way longer than pressing a button on the apple watch).

Next thing I noticed when glancing at the watch when my audio quality starting getting bad is that the watch seemed to be connecting and disconnecting to the phone for a period of time. The little red icon that is at the top of the watch when it is no longer in bluetooth proximity range of the phone was on, then off, then on etc....as if it had lost connectivity and was trying to reconnect. This should not be happening with the phone 2 feet away. during this period, the audio quality sucked and continued to be bad after. It almost seems like the devices were competing for the bluetooth and this trying to connect activity on the watch messed up the audio quality going forward. Again, putting the watch in airplane mode fixed the issue and the quality of the audio improved.

Conclusion for me....the apple watch (might also be a similar thing going on with the AirPods) is causing some interference with the Tesla bluetooth connecting...not all the time, but when it is going into a disconnect mode from the phone and trying to reconnect. Sounds like an apple problem with the watch and the iPhone X is the culprit. I have a version 1 iPhone watch by the way.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
I too experience this exact same issue. iPhone X, Apple Watch and brand new MS. This is incredibly frustrating. Im running the latest watchOS and iOS versions. Has anyone been able to truly fix the issue, besides the several remedies listed?

Interesting, I have the same issue. I do have an Apple Watch & AirPods. I will try the Bluetooth Toggle. I thought everyone telling me my voice quality sounded garbled was full of *sugar*. So I called my Google Voice and left a long voice mail , they were not joking , it sounds god awful.
As soon as I put my watch on airplane mode this issue ended. Super annoying, but it is a fix.

I have a Series 2 Appple Watch. Toggle to airplane mode on the watch does nothing to fix my issues. My garbled voice issues occur only if I have used my AirPods with my iPhone X, and requires the Bluetooth toggle to fix.
There are definitely two issues going. One with watch and one with airpods. I can turn my watch on and immediately whomever I am talking to says I sound like im in a tin can, then turn it off and immediately better. I haven't connected to my airpods in weeks so they are isolated. Its almost as annoying as not being able to take a call into the car without not being able to hear them anymore.

Hello Tesla/iPhone owners,

I spoke to Tesla support and they recommended the following procedure that fixes the streaming connect/disconnect issue. The garbled voice issue still persists but can be fixed on a per-call basis by turning your iPhone Bluetooth on and off before making a call. This issue seems to get worse with every call, so doing it every 3-4 calls seems to cover it...

To fix the streaming connect/disconnect problem (phone disconnects every 7.5 minutes):

1. Forget the Tesla on your iPhone
2. Forget the iPhone on your Tesla
3. Do the scroll button reset on the Tesla by holding down the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds
4. Add the iPhone back into your list of connected devices on the Tesla
5. MOST IMPORTANT - When asked to sync contacts, say NO...it's an issue with the contact sync what causes the disconnect problem.

Happy streaming!

FWIW, I've had that problem with my iPhone and my 2007 RAV4 and with a third-party stereo Bluetooth adapter that I used for listening to non-call stuff in the car. It's not a Tesla-specific issue. I think Apple introduced the bug in iOS 10. Something in Apple's Bluetooth stack occasionally just gets into a weird state where it seriously distorts audio, sometimes producing ear-piercing beeps. The only reliable fix I've found is to reboot the phone.

There's also a separate bug that Apple introduced in iOS 11 that causes A2DP profile devices to disconnect when the output goes silent for more than a small fraction of a second, resulting in a complete disconnect that takes the better part of a minute to resolve itself. This is likely a Bluetooth power management bug in iOS 11.

From the sheer number of bugs I've seen so far, I'm pretty sure the iOS Bluetooth stack is just a giant pile of hurt. Either that or the specification itself is. I'm not sure which.

If I put my Apple Watch in Airplane mode, call quality is excellent. Seems to be associated with the iPhone and 2 active Bluetooth connection which includes the Tesla.
I just started having this problem about 3 weeks ago. I have both an Apple Watch 3 and Fitbit connected to the phone. I had no problems until recently. I upgraded to Apple Watch 3 but it did not happen right away. I tried putting Apple Watch in Airplane mode and that made no difference. I have 2017 MX. I spoke with Tesla today and they have asked me to document incidents and then notify them of time and location. They acknowledged that this is a known problem with Apple I Phones and that they have a team working on it.

I have the latest Tesla software updates and the current IOS on an Apple I Phone X

I test the Watch theory by turning it off and the call did not improve. I will try again tomorrow and put the watch in airplane mode before connecting to the car.

The Tesla service rep was skeptical as to its relationship to the watch. They told me that they have made some correlation with the new Apple Bluetooth ear buds.

When my iPhone X is connected to my model X and I make or receive a call, my voice sounds garbled. There is a thread on the subject at Apple iphone x & tesla bluetooth issues | Official Apple Support Communities and I was wondering if anyone on the forum is experiencing the same issue. I searched and found no thread on the subject. It looks like the problem is limited to the iPhone X, I have tried the iPhone 7 and had no issues. It would appear this is an Apple issue.

When the iPhone X was first released there were issues with Bluetooth connectivity, but that seems to have been resolved by either Tesla or Apple updates.

Thanks,
I don’t have this issue but my problem is the person on the other end keeps on telling me they can’t hear me!

My wife has the iPhone X and she’s super quiet and often there’s extra static when talking through the Model X. She can hear whoever is calling her just fine, it’s the person calling that can’t hear her. Not sure why, but I have not checked this thread in a while and it seems the watch may be a component to the problem. She has a series 3 watch as well. I’ll have her disable it / airplane mode or leave it at home and see if that helps. The phone works fine in our other cars, it’s definitely something weird with the iPhone X, Tesla X and perhaps her watch... Hmmm...

I have the same problem. Very frustrating since I take a bunch of conference calls from my Model S. Before the iPhone X the BT was money. iPhone X experience is miserable. Just like described above.

For the greater good: I have iPhone X, AirPods, and Apply Watch 1. I'm on latest (dated: 5/24/2018) OS on all and latest firmware (yep, figured out how to check AirPods firmware).