Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRO DashCam - Model S AP2 unboxing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that this is a huge compromise. No GPS, No rear camera, No power when parked...
As I mentioned, For me, it was this or nothing at all. At $215, it probably cost less than installation alone.
If Tesla provides dash cam functionality to built-in cameras as mentioned in another thread, that would be even better.
Here's what it does have for those who may be interested...
View attachment 246001 View attachment 246002 View attachment 246003 View attachment 246005 View attachment 246006 View attachment 246007
This is great news. Now if only we can tell what "coming soon" means.

This his one of the threads discussing Tesla providing dash cam functionality to built-in cameras...
Dashcam Feature Coming Soon

Twitter

Right, you are! Have to play with it tomorrow. Hopefully the smoke will clear out a bit.

Polarizing Filter Test
I placed a small paper espresso cup on the dash which reflects on the windshield. I rotated the magnetic polarizing filter until it nearly disappeared. I will post video on YouTube when at Wifi.
Before & After Screenshots below.:

IMG_7013.PNG
IMG_7014.PNG

Reactions: KyleDay
hm, I am afraid it's useless.
While the cup reflection is gone, the A pillars and the speaker reflections are still there.
Can you please aim to remove THOSE, not some random objects that would not be there while driving?

looks nothing like the advertisement.

seems pricey for the quality. you can pick up a blackvue 490 for less and comes with the rear camera too

tbh, if you can install this, you can install any other dashcam
The appeal of such solutions is on the X where you cannot just hide the cable behind the ceiling right away so plugging into existing power is pretty compelling even with some drawbacks. On the S I agree the value is a bit more questionable.

The appeal of such solutions is on the X where you cannot just hide the cable behind the ceiling right away so plugging into existing power is pretty compelling even with some drawbacks. On the S I agree the value is a bit more questionable.

OK,
I revised my polarizing filter test, paying careful attention to the A pillars. I uploaded video to YouTube (see link below) and attatched before and after screenshots.
I put a particle mask (still pretty smoky here) on the dash for reference. As you can see in the video there is a direct correlation between the "random object" on the dash and the A pillar. They both seem to reach maximum transparency at the same point. Appears that objects in the center are more affectively filtered out and in the peripheral areas. While not perfect, it clearly does have a positive effect. Hope this info helps others with buying decisions.

After
IMG_7029.jpg

Before
IMG_7028.jpg

OK,
I revised my polarizing filter test, paying careful attention to the A pillars. I uploaded video to YouTube (see link below) and attatched before and after screenshots.
I put a particle mask (still pretty smoky here) on the dash for reference. As you can see in the video there is a direct correlation between the "random object" on the dash and the A pillar. They both seem to reach maximum transparency at the same point. Appears that objects in the center are more affectively filtered out and in the peripheral areas. While not perfect, it clearly does have a positive effect. Hope this info helps others with buying decisions.

After
View attachment 246324
Before
View attachment 246323
Forgot to mention. Zoom in on the images. You will see the reflection of the speaker fabric at the front of the dash is dramatically reduced. The view of my driveway is definitely less obscured in the "after" image.

does it work when auto is parked? or the 12v is cut off?
It does not.
I personally prefer it that way. I do not wish to run my battery down and I make an effort not to park in questionable areas. I really just wanted to be able to have archival footage to retrieve when I felt I saw something unusual and interesting. Also thought it would be useful to have evidentiary footage in case of an accident to prove that I was not at fault. Vandalism is of course a whole other subject.

Reactions: ranma64
I do not wish to run my battery down

With a huge battery at least 75kWh@350volts, a dashcam that draws at most 500ma@12volts would take decades to run down the battery. I run my two channel dashcam 24x7 as well as the rear lighted applique and front camera switch without zero measurable battery drain. It's not like a 12-volt battery in an ICE vehicle. There's no reason to not run a dashcam 24x7 if you want to do that.

and I make an effort not to park in questionable areas.

Sometimes you can't control that. It's not even always in "questionable" areas. I've been to a quite a few places that have mandatory valet parking, and even after requesting self-park, it's just not allowed, they claim, 'for insurance purposes.' You bet I want my dashcam running that entire time the car is out of my purview.

Another example is I just took a 3600 mile road trip for the eclipse... which included parking at several hotels during the trip. Sometimes arriving late, the only parking spots left are in the back, dark corners of the lot. There's literally no where else to park. But I have to leave the car there overnight. Again, I surely want my dashcam running 24x7 when in situations like these.

Examples: Truck driver keying Tesla caught on Dashcam in Nice | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: