Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a dedicated circuit breaker required for a HPWC installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Thanks.

I assumed that. Looks like when we has some remodeling work done they stole the spot that had the breaker to a capped off 14-50 we were going to re-purpose for the HPWC. And now there are no more open spots on the panel.

Sounds like this simple install just got more expensive and time consuming.:(

Anyone know what a new bigger panel install costs?

Thanks.

I assumed that. Looks like when we has some remodeling work done they stole the spot that had the breaker to a capped off 14-50 we were going to re-purpose for the HPWC. And now there are no more open spots on the panel.

All over the place. Need to get a local estimate.

Might be able to add a sub-panel and move some of the circuits over.

Why don’t you just put a cord on your WC and plug it into the 14-50?

14-50 box (no plug) may be dead. I think the electricians disconnected its wiring from the panel during the last phase of the remodel to get power for heated floors. And even if it is live, the post between my 2nd and 3rd car stall where I want to install the HPWC is 15-20 feet from the 14-50 box. So power needs to be run to this location.

Thanks.

200A service panel upgrade probably costs around ~ $1750.

Assuming you have enough amperage capacity, you can replace 4 individual 15 or 20 amp branch circuits with breakers that combine 2 circuits into one space like these Eaton CH 2-15 Amp 1-Pole Tandem Circuit Breaker-CHT1515 - The Home Depot
I see people mention this, using language like you did: "you can". However, that is a "you may be able to". Some panels allow tandem breakers, and some don't. My panel is a fairly modern (1996) Square D panel, and it does not allow any tandem or quad breakers.

No, it doesn’t matter when. The panel capacity is determined or known by the size of the main breaker. “Available” capacity is based upon what else is already installed and your other existing loads.

Thanks. I will check with my neighbors that do their own contracting and see what supply we have from PG&E

However, by main breaker do you mean something at the meter box? There is a panel there with the meter, but it has wire seals on it from the power company. But looking at the two bundles of wires coming out of it, it looks like one runs to the AC compressor, and the other to the panel in question.

Update: I looked closer at the sticker on the panel. It says "indoor panel: 125 A max". Starting to think we need some more wiring. Hopefully we can get the electricians out in the next few days.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check with my neighbors that do their own contracting and see what supply we have from PG&E

However, by main breaker do you mean something at the meter box? There is a panel there with the meter, but it has wire seals on it from the power company. But looking at the two bundles of wires coming out of it, it looks like one runs to the AC compressor, and the other to the panel in question.

It is odd that you don’t have access to the main breaker, which allows you to turn off the whole house power. What is the highest Amp breaker in your panel?

It is odd that you don’t have access to the main breaker, which allows you to turn off the whole house power. What is the highest Amp breaker in your panel?

After further checking out by the meter I got into another panel. It shows 2-100 Amp breakers with the word "Main". So I assume we have a 200 Amp service from the street. Is this correct?

It looks like the output of this is split to the panel in the garage that says 125 A max and to a separate line running toward the A/C compressor (it goes into a wall so I cannot track it further). A/C has fuse box on the wall and says Max fuse 50A.

Last edited:
After further checking out by the meter I got into another panel. It shows 2-100 Amp breakers with the word "Main". So I assume we have a 200 Amp service from the street. Is this correct?

It looks like the output of this is split to the panel in the garage that says 125 A max and to a separate line running toward the A/C compressor (it goes into a wall so I cannot track it further). A/C has fuse box on the wall and says Max fuse 50A.

Is that a double pole 100A breaker? If yes, so you have 100A service. There is no any reason to give the AC a 100A dedicated circuit and only give 100A for your house, it is a waste.