Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone actually buying the 40 kWh Model S at this point?

I planned on puchasing a 40 kWh Model S

• The S40 still fits my needs, and I am still getting one

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I am going with a S60

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • The S40 no longer meets my needs, so I cancelled my reservation

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up deferring and would likely had take delivery this year at #3562.
Reasons:
No realistic trade-in. The estimate I got was ultra lowball. Would have to private sell my car.
No retrofit plan, pricing or offer of free upgrades, etc.
No supercharger option or retrofit info - thinking at some point I would get a larger battery, especially if I had the car for 10 years. Would be nice to know if the 40kw could be retrofitted.
No real test drive ... yet. I did the 15 minute quickie.. not sufficient.
No way to demo all the options.. yet. I want to see, touch and play with everything in the tech package mainly.
and superficially I'd like a larger color palette both for the interior and exterior. Was thinking black on black if I pulled the trigger.

I'm waiting to midsummer next year and am leaning to the 60kw model.

I originally planned to get the S40 which would be fine for my Bay Area daily commute (40 miles each way), but went with the S60 when I placed my order several weeks ago.

My decision was made after I read about actual range versus the published 160 miles and the expected degradation as time goes by, and then looked at some recent trips to Napa to attend an evening concert (80 miles each way) and a day trip to Monterey Bay Aquarium (85 miles each way). I will be able to do both with the S60 on a single full charge.

Further justification was:
- supercharger network allows me to take road trips to Tahoe, Yosemite, LA, even Las Vegas
- resale value
- better performance than the S40
- being able to get the car in 2012 and get the tax deduction in 2013

I'm still a bit nervous about the decision, because of the current TSLA stock price volatility (I'm going to need to sell my holding to pay for the car). And not so sure anymore if my car will be delivered in 2012. The most I've ever paid for a car is $40K and this is almost double!

Last edited:
I've never borrowed money to buy a car. For that matter, I've never borrowed money. Borrowing money is much like a drug. It causes stress, broken marriages, and unhappiness. I would never advise anyone to buy a car they cannot afford to buy outright.
I'm divorced yet borrowed no money at that time. Any marriage can break irrespective of a loan! :)

A lot of people on this forum mention wives.

I am quite interested ... among married couples here, who is the decision maker for the S?

Silly question!

Or does the man realize that he will lose it in a (Tesla) custody battle.

To eBay, not her, silly!

Or her new mate!

I like making my own decisions!

In case you haven't heard, Tesla has announced the details of supercharging access cost for the 60kW Model S. To summarize, $2000 option for those that haven't locked in, $1000 for those that have.

I've come full circle! Stretching for the 60kW battery led me to talk myself out of getting the Tech Package. Now, I refuse to pay $12000 just for Supercharger access so it looks like not only will I save the $10K, but I'm also saving the $3750 for the Tech Package. Now I really feel like I'm getting a great car that is a more than capable 40kW commuter that is now well within my budget! I'm still getting leather, Pano roof, and air suspension. I should be upset about Tesla's latest "about face", but I'm actually pretty happy.

He'll, I can even spring for the $600 maintenance now. Win-win!

Last edited:
I've come full circle! !

After the initial shock, and thinking this is enough, I am out, I am beginning to think like you : let's downgrade, since the 60kW, was to make possible a yearly trip to the beach or something like that. A 40kW pack with extra chargers at the regular locations where I am going, like the ski center where I go every weekend, might make more financial sense.... Now, have to think about this Tech package ...

wonder if anyone downgraded back to the 40kw? Since the 60KW + SC access is now $12K extra a premium of over 20% or 24% (with the fed tax rebate included) of the base cost of the 40kw S. When the SC details were announced I contemplated upgrading to the 60, but with the news of the extra 2K for those who have not finalized, decided just to stick my original plan with the 40KW pack.

I'm a little confused now and am questioning my ability to purchase a S40!

I was planning on getting the S40 with tech and pano roof, but now I'm just hearing about all of these expenses and its starting to worry me. I didn't know about this "maintenance expense". It's $600 extra per year? For how many years?

If I get the 60KW, its now $12K instead of $10K? I don't get this part?

What alternatives out there actually can compete with Tesla in this? I saw a BMW version of an electic car and just saw the ELR by Cadillac which looks AMAZING. Now I"m on the fence due to these issues. Also, although I'm reservation #7K+, I'm not sure if its worth waiting for.

I think its MUCH SMARTER to lease this car as new technology will come out and I don't want to be stuck with old technology when I usually only keep cars for 3 years. Hopefully a lease option will be available by then, but if its not, I don't plan on doing it. I can't fathom purchasing this car with new technology and new cars coming out.

60KW is still $10K premium, but to access the optional supercharger network will add $2K, totalling $12K. Service for the Models is $600 per 12,500 or annual, whichever comes first. You can optionally pre-pay service for $1900 for 4 years/50,000 miles, which equate to $475 per year. This is all inclusive of parts and labor of any wear-tear items except tires.

shokunin: thanks for the info -noticed you're only 10 mins away from me :)

Ouch, this REALLY hurts. Is there any way to just pay each time you use the supercharger network? I can't see myself using it that much.

Are there any REAL alternatives coming out in the near future? I often question whether or not I want ALL ELECTRIC in times where I want to go further than I expect and need to use gas - which I don't have a problem with.

The cadillar ELR looks good and is rumored to be around the same price as an S40 out the door with more options.

HELP! :)

I had originally planned on getting the 40kWh as my daily commute is short (35 miles round trip) and we'll have my wife's X3 for vacation drives, but after it was revealed the 60kWh would have supercharger hardware and software included I've decided to spring for it.

Except now it hasn't, <sigh> so I may not spring for the 60 kWh after all. Can I change my vote?

Except now it hasn't, <sigh> so I may not spring for the 60 kWh after all. Can I change my vote?

Would be nice if they simply would allow 40 kWh owners to spend an additional $2k for the Supercharger access. I think eliminating the SC option for 40 kWh cars was originally intended to encourage people to spring for the more expensive battery packs (upsell us). But now that it costs $2k, I think it's gonna have the unintended consequence of people dropping down to the 40 kWh pack, since its now a $12k upgrade to the 60 kWh + SC access. I'll never even come close to recouping the $2k SC fee from the very select number of times I'd ever use one. When I was under the impression it was included with the 60 kWh option, it was just the sort of thing to put me over the edge and spend the extra $10k. Now, there's just simply not enough to entice me to do so, especially considering how 99% of my driving is well within the 40 kWh pack's range. Had Tesla included the SC hardware with the 60 kWh and gone with a pay-as-you-go system, I'd likely go with the 60 kWh. I think this is a poor business decision on their part quite honestly.

But now that it costs $2k, I think it's gonna have the unintended consequence of people dropping down to the 40 kWh pack, since its now a $12k upgrade to the 60 kWh + SC access. I'll never even come close to recouping the $2k SC fee from the very select number of times I'd ever use one. When I was under the impression it was included with the 60 kWh option, it was just the sort of thing to put me over the edge and spend the extra $10k. Now, there's just simply not enough to entice me to do so, especially considering how 99% of my driving is well within the 40 kWh pack's range. Had Tesla included the SC hardware with the 60 kWh and gone with a pay-as-you-go system, I'd likely go with the 60 kWh. I think this is a poor business decision on their part quite honestly.

My thoughts exactly.

Would be nice if they simply would allow 40 kWh owners to spend an additional $2k for the Supercharger access. I think eliminating the SC option for 40 kWh cars was originally intended to encourage people to spring for the more expensive battery packs (upsell us). But now that it costs $2k, I think it's gonna have the unintended consequence of people dropping down to the 40 kWh pack, since its now a $12k upgrade to the 60 kWh + SC access. I'll never even come close to recouping the $2k SC fee from the very select number of times I'd ever use one. When I was under the impression it was included with the 60 kWh option, it was just the sort of thing to put me over the edge and spend the extra $10k. Now, there's just simply not enough to entice me to do so, especially considering how 99% of my driving is well within the 40 kWh pack's range. Had Tesla included the SC hardware with the 60 kWh and gone with a pay-as-you-go system, I'd likely go with the 60 kWh. I think this is a poor business decision on their part quite honestly.

I respectfully disagree, @onlinespending. I don't believe the supercharger network was ever planned to work with the smallest (40 kWh) battery pack. Even if you could pay for supercharger hardware and software, you'd effectively be wasting $2000 bucks. The supercharger network becomes a functional alternative provided you have the range to travel between superchargers and reach it at a relative optimal SOC; one that will allow the fastest recoup of charge to get to the next supercharger. 30-40 minutes charge time is probably that sweet spot if you plan on doing continuous travel. JB Straubel indicated that the chargers would be about 150 miles apart, but that is still not guaranteed, given that the Folsom to Harris Ranch run is more than 200 miles. If Tesla holds steady to the principle that each charger is about 150 miles separation, then they can build out the network with relatively few superchargers, allow 60 and 85 kWh cars to traverse the US, coast to coast, border to border, keep the production costs down, and provide free charges to all capable vehicles. In order to make the supercharger solution viable for 40 kWh cars, the chargers would need to be separated by about 75 miles a piece, effectively doubling the number needed to construct and finance. Granted, that would make for one fantastic network, it probably isn't economically feasible at this time. This model still makes sense for the 60 kWh battery, since it can conceivably charge enough to bridge the gap between superchargers, albeit at a slower rate, since it is now well known that the superchargers slow it's rate of charging as the SOC of the battery increases.