Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone driving in snow with std 19" tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First snow has hit and I want to know how the std m&s tires work around town in snow. Lived in Denver for years and never had to buy snow tires. There were times when you just needed serious traction but on those days nothing short of full 4 wheel drive would work and you stayed home. I'm not going to the mountains to ski/snowboard.

Did this 2 weeks ago in 1-3 inches of snow/ ice. The car did fine. I think for anything more than about 4 inches and/or frequent snow driving, it would be better to go with snow tires.

Used them all through last winter (got the car Dec. 3, 2012). Wasn't a terrible winter for us, but still ice and snow. I do have those Z tire chains and put them on once or twice, but couldn't stand the sound of the chains--sounded like they were destroying my car. I'll keep them only for emergencies.

Used them all through last winter (got the car Dec. 3, 2012). Wasn't a terrible winter for us, but still ice and snow. I do have those Z tire chains and put them on once or twice, but couldn't stand the sound of the chains--sounded like they were destroying my car. I'll keep them only for emergencies.

chains will destroy your car. tire chains are only meant for drastic winter weather conditions where you are constantly buried in heavy amounts of snowfall that stick for days or weeks at a time. DONT go over 30mph with chains. they'll break. and when they do, get ready to go to a repair shop. seeing that you're from missouri though...I'm guessing that you get buried every now and then up there and know all this already :)

I hoping to get through my first winter with just the regular tires. My only issue with RWD cars has always only been getting out of the garage and the alley. (In Chicago, the alleys never get plowed). Once you get on the surface streets, they are always plowed. I was thinking of getting chains just to assist with the alley. Once I get out, I'd take them off... We'll see how my plan goes.

I drove all last winter here in the North East, and found my Model S did great until we hit about 4 inches, then I didn't take her out. That said, I was extremely impressed with the traction control. It reminded me of a Saab I had years ago. While it was two wheel drive, no one seemed to tell the car that, so it just sort of went through everything just fine.

I thought that the car's performance in the Chicago suburbs with the Goodyear all season stock ties was average. I felt like I had a little more control in my Honda and my wife's Outback was much better. Of course, I haven't compared the MS to another rear wheel drive car, so this is somewhat of an unfair comparison. I have a short incline to get into my garage that requires a 90-degree turn while trying to avoid my wife's car in the garage. I had trouble. This was in less than 1 inch of snow. Forget greater than 4 inches. I had to shovel and put gravel down to help.

On the roads, plowed or not, I really didn't have much of an issue. An occasional swerve when turning corners.

Overall, it wasn't too bad, but it prompted me to get winter tires this year. (Michelin Xi3)

I've always avoided getting winter tires since I'm lazy. Most the time I'm fine, but when I'm not, it's a totally PITA. Can any Chicago people recommend places that will swap and store the tires? I've never pursued this before, but am thinking with the MS, it may be worth the added hassle and cost...

I live in the Chicago area too. I have never had snow tires and have never needed them. However, I have driven an AWD for the last 12 years and a FWD Honda before that. So hopefully I will reporting back in the spring that this was a good decision. My MS is scheduled for delivery at the beginning of December. (CAN'T WAIT BY THE WAY!)

85 | Blue | Grey leather | Piano Black Décor | Tech Pkg | Subzero Weather Package | 19" Michelins

I was fine with the standard 19" all seasons for last winter in Chicago. The low center of gravity helps a lot, and like stated above, its rare to need to drive through deep snow.

It's very heartening to hear these anecdotes since this is exactly my plan, at least for this first winter. This was my biggest concern before taking the plunge on this car so looking forward to popping the snow cherry soon.

I live in the Chicago area too. I have never had snow tires and have never needed them. However, I have driven an AWD for the last 12 years and a FWD Honda before that. So hopefully I will reporting back in the spring that this was a good decision. My MS is scheduled for delivery at the beginning of December. (CAN'T WAIT BY THE WAY!)

85 | Blue | Grey leather | Piano Black Décor | Tech Pkg | Subzero Weather Package | 19" Michelins

Please let us know. I live in western WA. Not as much snow as say Denver but very slippery. 1" cans shut down most of the local freeways. Not planning on buying studded or dedicated tires yet.

Apparently my literal humor was too subtle (or perhaps just unfunny):

Oh it was funny, but there was another escape. You never go back to all-seasons, you go to real summer rubber ;) Which I think coincidentally is what Tesla should have been doing from the start. Deliver with summer tires in summer and winter tires in winter and let the customer buy the other set either from Tesla or others. Why the heck would they deliver a decent sports car with crappy rubber that is not particularly good in any weather. I may have a shot at getting my P85 three months early by taking over another persons order who has the car already in Tilburg (assuming Tesla finds a way to make it work with my pending order somehow) in which case I get the car with 21" instead of 19" and at least the upside is that I get it with decent rubber for summer, the downside is that I have to buy wheels and tires for winter. Oh well...