Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone using a screen protector on the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^I don't wear polarized, someone can answer that. There are pros/cons to both. The matte does not magically stop fingerprints, they are much harder to see, for sure, but they are there, look in the right light...I always have a microfiber cloth in my car for wiping stuff, dash/screen windows whatever so no big deal, I just wipe it every few days, the oil from your fingers will get on anything. A screen protector doesn't repel oil from your fingers.

The Matte does cause issues with clarity slightly and brightness just a touch. Although I've gotten used to it since I wear glasses for distant vision, my near sight suffers, so anything up close with my prescription glasses on doesn't look super sharp anymore. Need to check out lasik surgery. Tired of it.. And there is absolutely no reflection from the Matte. Obviously the glossy protector will look like the stock display, glossy/reflective.

So, you sacrifice a bit of clarity/sharpness and brightness from the matte protector, but you gain a flat/non reflective surface which fingerprints are nearly impossible to see.

Really up to you...some people love gloss screens, computers etc..compared to Matte, really a personal preference.

As far as brand, I used Spigen, other used various one. I'm sure you can get one off Amazon for 1/3 the price of the big brands and they work exactly the same. The nice part of the Spigen is the mounting/plastic frame they give you to install it, real easy. But, surely any other brand can use this same template if it doesn't come with one already.

So, if I ever change mine, I'm going to just buy a cheap one with good specs, like for my phone glass, and use the template Spigen provided to install if the one I buy doesn't have their own. Most protectors come with these mounting templates though, a plus.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have the spigen matte protector. I didn't mean to order the matte version, and thought I had ordered gloss, but didn't catch the mistake until it was already installed. So I figured I'd leave it for now and change it later. I have no desire to change it anymore. I thought it looked good from the start, but after a while just sort of forgot about it. It wasn't until the other day I even remembered I had it on. While it may not be as sharp as the gloss or no screen protector, it still looks great, has no fingerprints, and doesn't reflect sun hardly ever.
Could you give me a model number for the specific Spigen matte protector? There are several and would like to order the same one. Thanks for your review experience.

So is the consensus that all glossy protectors will give off a rainbow effect with polarized glasses? I'm on the fence between glossy and matte.

I have the Abstract Ocean screen protector on both our 3 & X, and no issues with rainbow effects. I'm very happy with it - cheap insurance. All it takes is for me to fumble-finger my Yeti mug or something into the display and I've got a big repair on my hands. I've been known to not exactly be the most gentle. (Ask me about the time I put a 2x6 through my wife's windshield ...)

i have a matt protector. it robs the screen of brilliance but it helps make fingerprints invisible as well as keeps the sun at bay. It gives you piece of mind if you by accident drop something against the screen too. a cracked screen protector can be quickly replaced. replacing a screen is expensive.

i guess its unlikely you scratch the screen but things can happen and with such a nice central screen even 1 scratch is incredibly annoying.
if you get a clear screen protector you wont even notice its on.
Agree. Mainly, I did it for the fingerprints (smudges) reason. I have not noticed any reduction of brilliance, but perhaps that is a difference between yours and mine. For the $11 I spent, it is worth it and lasting into my 4th year now. And right, I actually don't even notice it is on there. No glare.

If you hit the screen hard enough with something that would crack it, a sticker isn't going to magically save it. Perhaps it'll stop a scratch, but I don't keep sharp objects in the car that could scratch it. No screen protector on any phone I've ever had and it is definitely more vulnerable being carried around in my pocket.

The only advantage to a screen protector is anti glare (matte finish) and no fingerprints. But at the cost of resolution and saturation. I bought the Spigen screen protector but returning it before even opening. So far, the screen is great. And I bought this to give it a quick clean every once in a while.

If you hit the screen hard enough with something that would crack it, a sticker isn't going to magically save it. Perhaps it'll stop a scratch, but I don't keep sharp objects in the car that could scratch it. No screen protector on any phone I've ever had and it is definitely more vulnerable being carried around in my pocket.

The only advantage to a screen protector is anti glare (matte finish) and no fingerprints. But at the cost of resolution and saturation. I bought the Spigen screen protector but returning it before even opening. So far, the screen is great. And I bought this to give it a quick clean every once in a while.

That’s quite not true. We’re not talking about a film here, but a sacrificial piece of glass itself. I’ve broken them several times on my iPhone and never damaged the underlying screen itself.

I will likely order the Spigen matte protector as my delivery day gets closer. I'm tempted to save the money and go without a screen protector but I like the way the matte protector makes fingerprints less visible. The one good thing with the current delivery times is that I have plenty of time to decide.

Honestly 40$ for a screen protector? Got mine of off AliExpress for 15 and its perfect...cant even notice its on there.

I’m sure the $15 is fine, but Spigen has been making screen protectors forever and Abstract Ocean makes very good Tesla accessories. And both of those came with the best applicators that I saw from any seller.

Like I said above, peace of mind. $40 vs $15 is negligible in the long run.

Last edited:
This is my assumption as well, having researched the various brands. This is why I ordered the matte from abstract ocean. Pick my car up this Saturday. Will throw it on once I get home with it.
The rainbow effect from polarized sunglasses will be noticeable on any glass covering with anti-UV protection (which most of these Tesla screen protectors also provide). Screen yellowing was an issue for some of the early Model 3 displays. I’m assuming this was more from 3-5 years of exposure to harsh sunlight UV rays than anything Tesla did (or didnt) do. The M3/MY cars ship with zero window tinting, so that should be on your list of early mods. But to the initial comment about “rainbow effect”, that’s the result of the polarized sunglass lenses and the anti-UV chemical properties of the screen protector, and you’ll experience that same “rainbow” effect looking through any window tinting, on any car. Every screen protector manufacturer with a screen that also has UV protection will all share this “side-effect”.