Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Auto-pilot harsh on brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me give the seemingly necessary preamble, that yes, I did search and did not find this exact thing discussed--though I'm confident someone will correct me.

When slowing or stopping for traffic, AP waits longer to start braking than I would and then slows down more suddenly. Assuming others have similar experiences. My question if anyone knows, by waiting longer it is AP using regen less and the brakes more heavingly than perhaps ideal?

I think it's mostly OCD -- it does use brakes more than a hypermiling driver but the few seconds' worth of regen is not going to make a huge impact on your overall efficiency or brake longevity.

I think the way AP does it is fine, even if it doesn't match what a human would want to do.

I'm inclined to think that Autopilot and TACC use the friction brakes more than necessary. I've developed way more brake dust on this car's wheels than I ever did on my Volt. I can even hear the brake pedal move when it is applying the brakes.

IF it IS all regen, is that more effective / efficient if done harshly, rather than gently? perhaps there is some "effort" that has to be overcome, in recharging the battery, such that higher kW, for shorter duration, is better?

Not something I know anything whatsoever about!! but I'm curious to find out.

IF it IS all regen, is that more effective / efficient if done harshly, rather than gently? perhaps there is some "effort" that has to be overcome, in recharging the battery, such that higher kW, for shorter duration, is better?

Not something I know anything whatsoever about!! but I'm curious to find out.

You stated my question much better than I did. That's exactly what I am wondering. Is it waiting longer because that creates more regentative power, or is it just a limitation of the technology at this point and it using more friction braking.

You stated my question much better than I did. That's exactly what I am wondering. Is it waiting longer because that creates more regentative power, or is it just a limitation of the technology at this point and it using more friction braking.

Given a specific delta V you need to lose by regen braking, the most energy will be gained by doing it at a constant minimal rate.
In either acceleration or deceleration induction motors are more lossy the more put-in or take-out.

So waiting in hitting it harder is not the best. The TACC does what it does because of other considerations...

I tried a P90D for several hours and was in stop and go traffic. I definitely think that the AP used the brakes a lot more than I do when I drive my non AP P85+ in traffic. I love how little I use the brakes in my non AP Model S even in stop and go traffic.

Let me give the seemingly necessary preamble, that yes, I did search and did not find this exact thing discussed--though I'm confident someone will correct me.

When slowing or stopping for traffic, AP waits longer to start braking than I would and then slows down more suddenly. Assuming others have similar experiences. My question if anyone knows, by waiting longer it is AP using regen less and the brakes more heavingly than perhaps ideal?
Yes, i agree. The brake pedal would move so the car is definitely using the brakes! Just doesn't feel like "efficient driving" to me which can be a bit irritating!

When slowing or stopping for traffic, AP waits longer to start braking than I would and then slows down more suddenly.
This is definitely my experience as well. The passengers even notice it. Please write Tesla <[email protected]> i.e. Subject: Feature Request - AutoPilot braking is harsh and slow to react until it gets close

A feature like 'standard' or 'moderate' Auto-Pilot braking similar to 'standard' or 'low' regen would be great.

Ive played with this extensively during my commutes. I find that the AP does indeed utilize the brakes more than regen in some situations. My theory is that the car cant see as far ahead as I can (and/or make out the traffic at that resolution) and as such, it needs to react with more abrupt stopping force to meet the deceleration delta between you and the car in front. Part of this is based on my playing around with the follow distance selection, as setting it to 7 definitely helps reduce braking and increase regen use over lower (closer) settings.

Reactions: COrental