Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot hw1 AP 1.0 worth buying with hw2 out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was considering the upgrade for autopilot 1.0, but not too sure now with AP 2.0 out. Not sure if Tesla is planning on doing anything further with AP 1.0.

I am hoping someone can help me decide if autopilot is worth it even though it's only 1.0. With AP 2.0 out, would you all still pay for autopilot 1.0 if you don't currently have that upgrade? Is it with the 3K?

As was stated above, a lot of the choice is going to be personal choice.

As for me, I recently traded a perfectly good 18 month old S with AP1 for a new S with AP2 hardware.

Admittedly it's been something of a bother to get used to driving the old fashioned way again (First world problem) but I'm a technology geek and wanted to get in on the ground floor.

So if you're happy with what AP1 currently delivers and really don't care for total automation save a lot of money and go with that. But if you're like me and like high-tech then go for AP2 (knowing full well that Uncle Elon is sure to come out with even spiffier AP3 then 4 then 5... down the road).

Did you try out the 30 day trial? That should give you enough time to evaluate it. I wouldn't expect anything additional to be added to it.

If you plan on keeping the car for awhile then I think it's worthwhile. TACC saves me endless amounts of frustrations when there is a lot of traffic on the freeway, and it makes going on road trips a lot easier.

In terms of resale I'm not sure what value to put on AP. Either the value Tesla puts on it when selling it to them, or the value on it when selling it privately.

I imagine the true cost of AP1 for a 3-4 years is probably around $2K. Maybe a bit less.

Reactions: skyhix
I love AP1. I don't know how much you can make it better in the highway. Sure there are edge cases that can be refined with AP2, but as far I am concerned the damn thing just drives amazingly well on the highway, and on the back roads IMHO AP2 will take a year or two before you can take your hands off.

If I were you, just upgrade for $3k and start enjoying now.

Reactions: bigez1 and skyhix
I have AP1. I consider it spectacular value for the $2500 it cost during ordering time. It works in conditions where I never thought it could. In general, I assumed AP was a gimmick - a cool adaptive cruise control with some laneholding ability that required frequent intervention, at best. In reality, it's far better than that.

It handles all kinds of freeway traffic, and even remained engaged for over an hour through near whiteout rainfall conditions when lanes were barely discernible to the human eye without complete focus. I had my hand on the wheel and was surprised it could handle such conditions where it was a significant effort even for *me* to see the road. The wiper rate was up and down, and yet the camera didn't seem to be perturbed by the wiper cutting its view. That was tremendous.

There are certain conditions that fail AP, and I've driven enough to know when it's likely to get uncertain, e.g. cresting a hill or bright sunshine hitting windshield.

The greatest value AP1 brings is the extent to which it has kept improving. It used to be much more unsteady when there was an exit to my right. Now it avoids the issue much more effectively. And that's one of many things.

AP2 is still evolving. Will it one day be worth $5K (or 8K for FSD) ? Probably. But today, AP1 is worth more than I paid for it and AP2 is worth less than what I'd pay for it today, for me. My concern with AP2 is that it takes upon tasks that entail regulatory oversight, e.g. intervention into and out of traffic, as opposed to staying within a traffic lane. AP1 does this only to a very limited extent, i.e. turn signal based single lane change. Bringing AP2 up to its promised level of capability is not merely a technical challenge but a regulatory matter, i.e. time.

That's a variable that makes the relative cost benefit of AP2 an uncertain one for me, at least for the next 3-5 years. AP1 had originally promised capabilities that have not materialized yet, so AP2 will likely have its own challenges. AP1 is already extremely good, and AP2 costs twice as much and will have to perform that much better, very quickly, as the technology develops fast.

Seen solely from a technological+regulatory perspective, at the rate at which ML and computer vision capabilities are evolving, AP3 will be out by the time at least Level 3 or partial Level 4 capability is stable. At the rate at which NVIDIA is working, they'll supplant their PX2 (the heart of AP2) engine quickly, and Tesla might come up with their own in house design for AP3. PX2 was released at CES 2016. NVIDIA has already supplanted released the Xavier platform at CES2017. Tesla speaks of moving to their own platform in future. This represents twice changing vendors between AP generations - from Mobileye for AP1 to NVIDIA for AP2, and in future potentially an inhouse solution.

Therefore, like with a decision over buying phones, I will skip AP2 and probably get another Tesla when AP3 is out and L3/partial L4 capability is stable. That's the best value proposition for me - I have the best L2 capability car out there now as AP1, and I'll refresh when AP3 is stable.

Last edited:
That's a dilemma I'm having. Plan on ordering a model X 100D this yr for my wife. Realistically we don't need it till august 2017 because she's leasing currently.
With that said, there's quite a few inventory p90d and p100d with autopilot 1 at steep discounts. I'm debating whether to hold and wait or maybe go in on one of these cars. We had an overnight test drive of p100d but didn't get to test the autopilot

Given the choice, I would spring for AP2 to take full advantage of its additional functionality as it rolls out. But if the choice is AP1 or nothing, I agree with @mkjayakumar's comments. AP1 performs nearly flawlessly during my regular commute, which is a mix of high speed and bumper-to-bumper driving, and I find myself less stressed and more relaxed when I arrive. It has already gotten much better/smoother in the 4.5 months I've had it. I am very happy to have it.

I was considering the upgrade for autopilot 1.0, but not too sure now with AP 2.0 out. Not sure if Tesla is planning on doing anything further with AP 1.0.

I am hoping someone can help me decide if autopilot is worth it even though it's only 1.0. With AP 2.0 out, would you all still pay for autopilot 1.0 if you don't currently have that upgrade? Is it with the 3K?
AP 1 is still a great system for highway driving and stop/go traffic so it is an excellent option. AP 2 is in early development but promises additional functionality eventually. I recommend buy AP 1 now and upgrade later if it makes sense at that time. (Disclaimer, I upgraded now but am starting to wonder if I should have kept my AP 1 car a little longer now...).

AP1 here also. Just got my inventory S75 refresh with AP1 activated already and its excellent, I don't need anything more and happy to wait two years for the next version. For me I say go for AP1 it has at least 1-2 years of full life left and even when after that is still beyond any other manufacturers in capability.

As was stated above, a lot of the choice is going to be personal choice.

As for me, I recently traded a perfectly good 18 month old S with AP1 for a new S with AP2 hardware.

Admittedly it's been something of a bother to get used to driving the old fashioned way again (First world problem) but I'm a technology geek and wanted to get in on the ground floor.

So if you're happy with what AP1 currently delivers and really don't care for total automation save a lot of money and go with that. But if you're like me and like high-tech then go for AP2 (knowing full well that Uncle Elon is sure to come out with even spiffier AP3 then 4 then 5... down the road).
I agree. I currently have AP1 and love it. It's a dream come true. Still, I'm trading it in to get a new X with AP2--hoping that when it's delivered at the end of March or early April that AP2 will be ALMOST as good as AP1, and will slowly thereafter become much better!