Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Creep=OFF better?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My old converted EVs use to roll back quite a bit and jerk when starting up. I've been surprised at how little my S rolls backward and how smoothly it starts moving forward. So far, after driving it for 4 months with Creep On and now a few days with it off, it looks like I will keep Creep off. I think I will turn it back on (if I remember to do so) for valets and such.

Is Creep=OFF better? Damn straight it is!

I have been performing parking lot maneuvers which I would never have dared try in an automatic for fear of curb rash. With creep off? It's easy, at 1 mph or below.

I still have to use the brake pedal at stops, but frankly I'm using the brakes almost entirely for hill-hold.

Anyone else tried to compare?
I haven't been willing to try it with creep on for more than a short period. I never want to go back to that unnerving lack of control at low speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Concerning Hill Hold function.
There is a way around this, which is standard on some cars, like our Citroen. In this car the computer holds de brake on for about 3 seconds longer standard. As soon as you depress accelerator it disconnects the brake (faster than you can notice). This works like a charm on steep hills, doesn't tax your engine or clutch, and totally voids the need to quickly jump from the brake pedal to the accelerator with your foot. (you have 3 seconds to do so).
Mind you, this can only be done with automatic transmissions or automated manual transmissions.
It would actually be fairly simple for Tesla to add this function in their software. I'm sure you guys at Tesla are listnening in...

In short, what you're describing is the automated version of what I'm doing manually. It sounds good. (Some of our stop lights are actually ON steep inclines around here, so creep is no substitute for braking, especially downhill.)

- - - Updated - - -

Still, there are many roads in North America with grades over 20%
There's one with a 34% grade in a town south of me. I took a photo of the warning sign.

My old converted EVs use to roll back quite a bit and jerk when starting up. I've been surprised at how little my S rolls backward and how smoothly it starts moving forward. So far, after driving it for 4 months with Creep On and now a few days with it off, it looks like I will keep Creep off. I think I will turn it back on (if I remember to do so) for valets and such.
You know, that is a very good idea about turning creep on for "strange" drivers. Thanks.

I've only had my car for 5 days, but have had the creep feature on. I like it. I don't think it wastes energy because when the brake pedal is pressed, the motor is cut out (i.e. you're not straining against a torque converter). I will try it off and see how that goes after I'm a bit more used to the car.

To close the loop on this, I have now had creep off for about a week and have to agree, I think I prefer it off.

I've had it off since day one, even though I was coming from an automatic.

My condo has tandem spaces so I often need to move my wife's Leaf which was creep. The experience has left me thinking that the concept of creep is just backwards for EVs. When I'm backing my S in I feel like I have perfect control... the slightest press on the pedal moves the car very little. When backing the Leaf in, I find myself constantly worried that I'm going to back into the S because that's what the car is trying to do... it's trying to roll itself backwards automatically and I have to use the brakes to stop it. Like I said... it feels backwards.

My guess is that creep makes more sense on an ICE because the amount of creep in an automatic is more fine tuned and easier to control that the gas pedal. For EVs... not so much.

Never had it on. I'm a long time manual transmission driver and I find no creep plus heavy regen (aka "engine braking") to best emulate what I'm used to from a manual.

Many people, myself included, swear by manual transmissions as being "more connected" and more in "direct control" of the car. The Model S gives that without the hassle of a clutch pedal, and way better than even a dual-clutch automated manual.

As I've started telling my car buddies:
The only thing better than a manual transmission is no transmission at all.

I'm with you on this one- creep off is much more like a manual transmission which I've been driving for the past 15+yrs. Also, living in Seattle the creep is never able to overcome the rollback on a hill. So I'm in the creep off camp. Living in SEA and having lived in SF, driving a manual transmission, I did use the "emergency" brake trick to prevent any roll back in traffic on a steep hill. Not an option in the Tesla, but a 3sec hold would be nice for us living in hilly terrain.

There's one with a 34% grade in a town south of me. I took a photo of the warning sign.

Where's the photo?
Ithaca is "gorges". :)
I went there in April of 199X to see if I'd be interested in attending Cornell. My host was also hosting another pre-frosh, and he had flown in from Miami wearing sandals and no socks. Apparently he didn't bother checking the weather before he left Miami. After walking through 18" of fresh snow in sandals, I suspect he chose to go to a different school. :)

Back on topic, is there any information from Tesla about their hill hold plans?

Incidentally, this is a rather low priority for me, as I have no problems with stop signs or stop lights on steep hills where I drive 99% of the time, but I am curious.