Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD overpriced ($7,000 over AP)?

Is FSD overpriced?

• Yes

Votes: 73 84.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s don’t really offer many options if you think about it. You have FSD, wheels, paint, interior colors/seat options. That’s really it.

I built an E class wagon, and to get the drivers assistance stuff, it was like an $11,000.00 option (or something like that, it wasn’t cheap). So, in the grand scheme of things, $7,000 isn’t really that bad, plus it’s something they can add functionality to over time. Maybe.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Thank you for this discussion. I as a hopeful Tesla owner this year am very confused by the different EAP, AP AP with Conv. & FSD options when searching for my Tesla on EV-CPO. If I need the summons feature (due to the narrow construction of my garage) where does that option start?
You need EAP or FSD for Summon. But don't expect too much. If your driveway has an incline, Summon will likely not be able to pull the car into/out of the garage. It's also not super reliable and may bump into obstacles if you aren't careful. I use the standard Summon very occasionally to pull the car out of tight parking spots so I don't have to contort myself to enter the car. Smart Summon is just a toy.

If before I die the FS allows me to take 20 trips where I can sleep in the vault there and back it will have paid for itself in airline tickets (even just Palm Bay, FL to Auburn. AL. 7 hrs and 47 minutes 490.6 miles).
So check with me after I die if you want me to badmouth FS. And then only if I didn't get 40 nights of good sleep instead of wasting 40 days either flying or driving to Auburn. War Damn Eagle!

• Informative
I don't think I have ever seen another car brand ship a feature in beta. With auto park, there has been no discernible development on in in years. Beta implies you are trying to get it working.
Supposedly "Smart Park" is coming soon though Elon said it will be "silly" at first. It doesn't sound promising. I wish they would just make auto park park between lines, actually see curbs and vehicles with bumpers higher than the ultrasonics.

It's overpriced for what you get today. However you're not just paying for today's features, you're paying for future functionality. If you buy FSD then you're betting that A.) Tesla will solve FSD and B.) That you will own the car when that happens. If both those things are true then 7k is a steal. If not then it's a ripoff. It's up to each person to judge their own situation and the value proposition for themselves.

I think the OpenPilot is like AP1. Yes, it can do some tricks almost as well, or perhaps even better than the current Autopilot, but it is limited by its hardware (single camera, much less powerful processor). In the next year or two the Autopilot will leave it in the dust. In the long run, the Autopilot is designed for Level 4-5 autonomy: has the computing power and all cameras and sensors needed to achieve that. The OpenPilot, just like AP1, will always remain at Level 2, or Level 3 at the very best.

So....i saw that video on youtube today, from engadget....

ive been following commai and hotz’s work for years even before i found out about tesla.

i owned a 2017 honda crv and wanted to retrofit the openpilot system to my crv but at the time in 2016 it was way too complicated and took too much developer knowledge to get going and my car was promised future support but it wasnt ready yet....

so i gave my crv to my parents, traded in their car towards a tesla lease and rolled off the lot with a 90D ap2.0 with the “Promise” of FSD sleep in the car one day...

The joke about all this is that my first experiance test driving a tesla was with a P90D AP1 in 2015 and i was completely astonished at its capabilities at the time.

and what i didnt find out till AFTER i rolled off the lot was about the mobileye disastrous split..what a lovely surprise to me....to find out that AP2 was a disaster and was a completely separate software design that was just trying to imitate what mobileye had created for ap1... the fact that ap2 didnt reach parity until march 2018 was completely atrocious.... and now in 2020 we keep getting delays after delays....

im still keeping my 90D
Im still supporting tesla.
but i feel like this just couldve gone so much better, they couldve been more transparent, offered refunds at least.

now my lease is up in 7 months....and what do i get for being an early adopter and being out 7000$ and Being told my forum members that my MCU and Camera equipment most likely need to get ripped out to POSSIBLY fulfill their promises from 4 years ago.

Im honestly on my last straws here.

if they dont make serious progress with retrofits and the full fsd software isnt running in beta by q2.... i got a feeling the class action suit will form.

so now after watching the autopilot and Openpilot comparison video.....

its amazing to see how close to autopilot it is with only using 1 camera...so ive decided to purchase and install the new openpilot commai 2 in the crv (that i gave to my parents) that im now taking back because they wanted a smaller car.....

i will post videos to show comparisons when i receive the devices.

sorry for the scrambled venting...

But just like somebody said in this thread....it honestly is crazy how good openpilot is all for 1k...

it makes us feel like tesla is twiddling their thumbs....

we need retrofit transparency for ap2 users at the q1 report....

im not waiting 6 More months to then be told...sorry your beat, wont work and also we need the keys back to your lease....smh