Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I know, I was not trying to say you are wrong or a liar. I was simply wondering why there are such varied experiences. Is it the car, is it peoples expectations, is it hardware or software versions, etc.

Different cities have different roads and driving culture. Plus the personal experience of each M3 owner. It'll never be the same and all expressed experiences are through coloured lens.

IMHO, EAP/FSD is the major driver for the purchase of a Tesla. Everything else = a regular EV (although way more advanced BMS).

Agreed, I'm simply stating the way things are from my experience. Personally though, it's worth every penny as EAP/FSD makes Rush Hour urban commuting way less stressful and enjoyable; been consuming eBooks like no tomorrow.
So you read an ebook while your car is changing lanes by itself?

Or do you read the ebook while on regular autosteer and TACC. Which is included in the base price of the car now and not FSD.

In any case, you aren’t supposed to read an ebook while operating a Tesla. Be prepared to be flamed with a thousand suns by FSD aficionados on this site if you ever post about a mishap with your Tesla while reading an ebook.

So you read an ebook while your car is changing lanes by itself?

Or do you read the ebook while on regular autosteer and TACC. Which is included in the base price of the car now and not FSD.

In any case, you aren’t supposed to read an ebook while operating a Tesla. Be prepared to be flamed with a thousand suns by FSD aficionados on this site if you ever post about a mishap with your Tesla while reading an ebook.

Well your also not supposed to text and drive, Take a look around next time your driving... and they don't even have AP/FSD.

Well your also not supposed to text and drive, Take a look around next time your driving... and they don't even have AP/FSD.
Yeah, maybe I’ll pull the trigger on FSD so that I can down a bottle of Jack while cruising down the interstate without worry and guilt. Because I’m a responsible driver. It’ll also go well with the dancing cars. Drunk driver and drunk Tesla. We’ll be best buds. My car and I.

Within a year from now, FSD will pretty much be able to "Point A to Point B" you with minimal intervention on your part (but your attention is required because there will continue to be weird intersections and traffic situations it can't handle). If that's important or exciting to you, get FSD.

Already, it can pretty much "Point A to Point B" on the highway using Nav on AP.

Beyond that, the point at which you could safely fall asleep and let it chauffeur you around, send it off to pick up your kids or earn money as a robotaxi, find parking by itself reliably in a bustling metropolis after charging itself, etc...those things are much farther off, several years or more in the future. To be honest it's unclear if those of kinds features, which amount to Level 5, would even be part of what is promised to current FSD purchasers. So if you are purchasing FSD to "lock in" that kind of a future feature set, it might be in vain. That being said, FSD will be a front-row seat to the progress towards such a future, if that is an enjoyable thing to you.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
Oh I know, I was not trying to say you are wrong or a liar. I was simply wondering why there are such varied experiences. Is it the car, is it peoples expectations, is it hardware or software versions, etc.

I think software versions are a significant part of it. I formed most of my impressions of NoA on 20.2 and 20.4 during my long road trip.

Other aspects of AP have gotten much better since then - 24.4 mostly cured the really annoying aggressive centering on lane merges, for instance.

But I still don't use NoA in heavier traffic, because I "know" it won't make the decisions I want - it can't make merge into tight traffic and it'll make lane changes at inconvenient times in front of faster cars.

All that was true in mid June under 20.2. It might very well not be true today under 28.2, but because that's what I'm expecting I don't engage NoA in those conditions.

Yeah, maybe I’ll pull the trigger on FSD so that I can down a bottle of Jack while cruising down the interstate without worry and guilt. Because I’m a responsible driver. It’ll also go well with the dancing cars. Drunk driver and drunk Tesla. We’ll be best buds. My car and I.

Thank you for your insightful and well thought out post that brought great value to the forum. Kudos.

• Love
Reactions: Octo
I know there is no useful functions of FSD, but it’s only 6k now, and you will paid 8k after delivery. How about long term investment? It may be 12k after Aug 16th, that’s double for now. When fsd works, you get the benefits. Likes stocks, gain or loss who knows.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
I know there is no useful functions of FSD, but it’s only 6k now, and you will paid 8k after delivery. How about long term investment? It may be 12k after Aug 16th, that’s double for now. When fsd works, you get the benefits. Likes stocks, gain or loss who knows.
Actually, Elon told me it will double each month from Aug. 16th on.

So it will be $192000 before Christmas. Enhanced Summon may even be available in the general FSD/EAP release by then.

You’d be crazy not to buy nothing today for $6000. That’s the best deal ever for nothing!

It would be cool but I really don't see the investment being worth it or it actually being practical in reality.

Advanced summon is a cool idea but even with the latest iteration it's not super fast or smart where it decides to park. The fist time I come out of the store to find my car in the middle of the parking lot exit with a bunch of angry motorists beeping and yelling at me is going to be the last time I use it. So I'd pretty much have to stand there and watch it come to me and in that case, why would I do that if I can just walk to it in less time? I'm in Canada so it's $7900 here and I didn't order it on my P3D-. For 8 grand I'll walk to my car in the rain and change my own lanes.

A better question is what happens if Tesla can't get the FSD through regulations? Lovely if they can prove the technology works but just because that happens doesn't mean it's ever going to become legal. Tesla may be ready to launch it this fall but doesn't mean the rest of the world is ready for it. It could be years and years of political games before it becomes a reality or maybe it doesn't get through... Then what happens with all this money they've collected? You're not just gambling on technology that doesn't exist coming to fruition, you're gambling on politicians letting it happen. We're talking about politicians that still won't even let them sell in their state and you think they're going to be cool with letting them drive on their own? Nah I'm good thanks.

It would be cool but I really don't see the investment being worth it or it actually being practical in reality.

Advanced summon is a cool idea but even with the latest iteration it's not super fast or smart where it decides to park. The fist time I come out of the store to find my car in the middle of the parking lot exit with a bunch of angry motorists beeping and yelling at me is going to be the last time I use it. So I'd pretty much have to stand there and watch it come to me and in that case, why would I do that if I can just walk to it in less time? I'm in Canada so it's $7900 here and I didn't order it on my P3D-. For 8 grand I'll walk to my car in the rain and change my own lanes.

A better question is what happens if Tesla can't get the FSD through regulations? Lovely if they can prove the technology works but just because that happens doesn't mean it's ever going to become legal. Tesla may be ready to launch it this fall but doesn't mean the rest of the world is ready for it. It could be years and years of political games before it becomes a reality or maybe it doesn't get through... Then what happens with all this money they've collected? You're not just gambling on technology that doesn't exist coming to fruition, you're gambling on politicians letting it happen. We're talking about politicians that still won't even let them sell in their state and you think they're going to be cool with letting them drive on their own? Nah I'm good thanks.

You are way overthinking this. The only thing they will have trouble getting approved is unattended driving, where you can sleep in the backseat until you get there. What they are doing now where you get the nags, wont be an issue at all. So you will have the FSD functionality, the only question is will you have to be attentive during it or not.

I will gladly pay 3k for what they showed happening in the Autonomy Day videos.

• Funny
Reactions: disapr and Octo
Autonomous vehicles are already legal in a bunch of U.S. states (CA for example). The real issue is whether Tesla FSD will be legal everywhere in the US before it is truly autonomous since some states might classify it as testing of an autonomous vehicle and have strict regulations on that (CA for example). Uber tried to skirt AV testing rules in CA by claiming their system was "driver assistance" and got shut down pretty quickly.

When I bought my car the only options were EAP ($5k) or FSD (another $3k). There was no included AP, so I reluctantly shelled out $5k to get EAP. Three months later they started including AP with all cars. When they offered the temporary $2k FSD upgrade to EAP owners back around March, I went for it, mainly so I'd get the HW3 chip when it's available (though I have zero confidence I'll see that chip in my car within the next 18 months). So through that path I've ended up with FSD. But if I were buying right now, and the car already has AP and the HW3 chip, there is no way in hell I'd spend another $6k to get FSD. The only current feature that is useful to me is changing lanes while AP is engaged. Everything else is a gimmick so far (to me).

There will be future sales. Tesla will unbundle lane change from FSD. And will do all sorts of other things to tweak the packages and pricing. But over time, Tesla's prices on everything seem to only go down.

No it doesn't help resale value (meaning you won't be able to sell your car for $6k more). Especially because when people trade in Teslas, Tesla can just enable that software and sell the car for more.

I will gladly pay 3k for what they showed happening in the Autonomy Day videos.

You do realize that this was a pitch.

It’s like if Miele showed a video of a Star Trek food replicator in a promo video but all they can deliver is a fancy microwave oven with built in 3D printer that needs an external supply of pink chicken meat goo.

You do realize that this was a pitch.

It’s like if Miele showed a video of a Star Trek food replicator in a promo video but all they can deliver is a fancy microwave oven.

A pitch where dozens of people sat in cars with development software and hardware and experienced a lvl4 FSD drive and what the future has to offer?