Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or does everyone want to race a tesla..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 5 years of driving electric, it finally happened. My wife forgot to plug in her car. (Too bad that feature where it texts you at night if not plugged in has not been implemented yet). The Model S has enough range this normally wouldn't matter; but she had been to her parents (our second-longest regular trip) and some appointments the day before; and we were about to head out on our longest regular trip to my mother's house. We were just a tiny bit short of range. We could have driven slow, but as usual when going to my mother's my wife was already late; we could have taken the Roadster, but my son was with us...so we had to (ugh) take his Prius.

Not only did nobody try to race us, but nobody smiled, gave us a thumbs-up, took pictures, or even sped up and slowed down to get good looks at the front and back of the car. Very strange.

Also strange: my wife gets more people trying to race her in the Model S than I do in the Roadster.

Do A tesla want to race a tesla? Or is it just nod?
So far, that's never happened. Probably wouldn't be very interesting if we both had the same model. I would imagine we'd end up in a tie unless one of us was significantly fatter. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Same experience.

These cars are just wicked quick off the line. I have pretty much left everyone behind like they were standing still. All I hear is their engines revving like crazy behind me. :cool:

So far, it's the BMWs that try to race me. I don't bother though.

Following up my earlier post about BMW drivers exhibiting "a higher propensity to prove a point than all other car drivers" … I've just had another similar event this evening.

It was almost the same set of circumstances as before, except this time it wasn’t a pleasant sunny evening but instead its a cold wet dark damp slippery country road at 10pm and its raining with surface water here and there ( well, this is the UK with winter setting in!). I'm snaking along behind a long row of traffic doing about 50mph, windscreen wipers on, minding my own business and not attempting anything dramatic as I'd quite like to get home in one piece.

Out of nowhere a pair of headlights comes zooming up behind and closes in until 20ft behind me. I guess he saw the Tesla logo on the back of my car because he promptly floors it to get past … I recognise the distinctive side vents of the car as it belted past. It’s a BMW M3.

I immediately back off because there's a good chance he's about to cause a head-on collision with the traffic coming the other way, about 150/200 yards ahead, and he's got nowhere to pull in.

This lunatic gets past about 4 cars in front and then slams on the brake lights, indicates to pull into a non-existent gap and more or less barges his way in. He only just avoids causing a major collision with a closing speed of well over 100mph. There was quite a lot of flashing of headlights and honking of horns….

For the next five minutes he stays put. One by one the cars in front of me peel off and I end up trailing behind the BMW for a few more miles. Eventually the road opens up and empties out until its just the two of us. At the first opportunity he floors it again .. but I suspect I know the road better than he does and I keep a constant distance between us without attempting any heroics to get past. This carries on … right up until the point where I know there's a bend followed by a big roundabout … and sure enough he leaves it too late, brakes too hard, locks up and skids straight into the middle of the grass and mud on the roundabout, spinning round as he comes to halt.

Moments later I nonchalantly drove past, watching a big rooster-tail of mud being flung up behind him.

What is it with BMW drivers ??!!??

I am now going to install two discreet front/rear 1080P dashcams and record the next one for posting on here :biggrin:

Previous BMW event :-

(warning:- contains humour)

Is it just me or does everyone want to race a tesla.. - Page 8

Last edited:
Tonite while driving safely in rain with my wife and brother in law and sister in law, a Dodge Challenger SRT8 pulled up beside me several times with loud engine revving at 65 mph. It was night, raining, 65 mph, 4 people on board (3 of which would have immediately assailed me), but I wanted in my soul to dust that idiot. I know I would in other circumstances. Has this happened to you?

It' not a Florida thing happens to me every other day in California. By the way my son took on his friend's GT-R using my Carrera S tying a 1/8 mile at the Irwindale track just because his friend wouldn't use launch control and void the warranty. In real life neither would use launch control at a red light and my P85 would smoke them. The P85 would eat the Dodge Challenger SRT8's lunch I know mine has.

Would you believe that some guy in a tricked out pickup truck tried to race me this past weekend. I did not intend to put him down but he insisted on staying beside me and I needed to exit right from the passing lane. I could hear that he had modified his transmission/shifting as it sounded like a very loud rapid firing sequential manual transmission. Anyway - no contest. Two seconds later I was looking at him fading away in the rear view mirror.