Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it just me or does everyone want to race a tesla..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was waiting at a light coming back home from lunch and a newish Nissan 370Z roadster pulled up next to me. When the lights went green, the Nissan took off with a ton of accompanying noise; I just couldn't resist the urge to put the Nissan "in its place" so, gave the Go pedal a good nudge. Beat the Nissan handily - I could hear it going through the gears trying to keep up - but had to quickly slow down and stop at the next light. The Z came alongside again. We repeated this sequence one more time. At the next lights, the driver lowered her window and went: "Wow! And I thought my car was fast. It's electric, right?! That's going to be my next car!" - I gave a thumbs-up and waved :)

(Thank goodness there was not much traffic around and there were no cops either; I should look for that bit of "inner calm" the next time ;))

On the way to Bristol Motor Speedway Children Charities where they had an exotic car show this Lamborghini tried to pass and so decided to give him a run and while I could not outrun him he could not pass me either. Then I noticed I was doing 75 and let him go. Not worth a ticket, also not sure how long I could have held onto him either.

I'm not sure if this has come up on the thread previously, but beware of the Nissan GT-R. New Model cars have 0-60 time under 3 seconds. Probably in the top 5 fastest street-legal cars on earth. One took me to school badly - passed me like I was going backwards. This is one car whose bite matches the loud bark. A 4.5 - 5.5 sec 0-60 MS doesn't stand a chance.

Yes - they are quick, but …

A friend of mine had been bragging about his GT-R for some time and I'd never been in one, so I went up to see him back in July .. in the Roadster.

Sure, his car was mighty quick and made all sorts of interesting noises, but it was ROCK HARD and crashy on bad UK roads, and it became painfully uncomfortable after a few miles. And sure, it can apparently hit 193.6498 mph - but when in its entire life will it ever get anywhere near that?! It’s a bit of a waste of engineering to design something that can achieve that, even though it will likely never do it.

But as an engineering type of person, I couldn’t help but wonder how long it would be before some of the mechanical carnage of repeated power-launches would cause immense and costly problems anytime soon! ( Intriguingly, the set up procedure to get a perfect launch takes twice as long as the actual resulting 0-60 !)

I then took him out in the Roadster, and it was his first time ever in one and tried to "welcome him to the church of EV". He was genuinely shocked at how fast it 'felt' (well, up to 70/80mph- which is fine by me because it represents the real world of useable speed on public roads), especially for a car needing no road tax, has little servicing costs, and can potentially run for free from sunlight for the next 150,000+ miles.

But he soon reverted to ICE type, and went and blew £20k on some massive upgrades to get, oooh, at least 8 billion horsepower, and even more solid suspension disguised as a 'handling pack' . . . and 3 weeks later he stacked it into a wall because he forgot to upgrade the brakes. He's ok, but Nissan UK aren't too happy with him. His insurance company played hardball too, although its all been bolted back together now.

Another factoid he mentioned was that he rarely gets more than 230/240 miles out of it, due to an average of 15mpg, costing him an amazing £105 ( $170) to fill up. If he does 15,000 miles a year in it, that’s £6,500 / $10,000 a year in fuel alone !! He only puts 98 ron fuel in it which is hard to find.

He admitted that HE's the one with range anxiety !!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has come up on the thread previously, but beware of the Nissan GT-R. New Model cars have 0-60 time under 3 seconds. Probably in the top 5 fastest street-legal cars on earth. One took me to school badly - passed me like I was going backwards. This is one car whose bite matches the loud bark. A 4.5 - 5.5 sec 0-60 MS doesn't stand a chance.

Just sayin'

Right, it's damned fast... but there are some silly things about the GT-R. They have a launch mode that you're only allowed to use three times before you invalidate the warranty.

Nissan GTR is one ugly car. Expensive to own. And as said its a nissan. Quick yes. Anything else? Nope...

- - - Updated - - -

Also remember the only reason the GTR is that quick is AWD. Its hard to get under 4s without AWD... Dont think Tesla made the S to compete with that type of cars at all... Its more of a M5, Panamera, Aston martin killer... Luxury performance sedan killer.

Tried a couple of GTR and yes very quick but hate the look, interior etc. And found the 1M way more fun car... As soon as the road turns the 1M was so much more fun compared...

As a GT-R owner this comment is laughable. :wink:

I was simply speaking from the perspective of spending that much money for what is essentially an economy brand. Nissan is an economy brand. The price tag would seem more justified if it carried an Infiniti badge. But this is obviously a car for enthusiasts with deep pockets, so the brand promise is probably not as important as the spec sheet.

I was simply speaking from the perspective of spending that much money for what is essentially an economy brand. Nissan is an economy brand. The price tag would seem more justified if it carried an Infiniti badge. But this is obviously a car for enthusiasts with deep pockets, so the brand promise is probably not as important as the spec sheet.

I'd hardly consider Infiniti to be much more "elite" but I do get your point :biggrin:. I just meant that the engineering in the GT-R is incredible and I often hear "it's just a Nissan" which irks me. Sort of like how the LF-A is "just a Lexus." :smile:

I do get tired of so many people thinking they have something to prove any time they get near a Model S. When the squirrels show up, I just slow down and let them get as far ahead of me as they want. I have nothing to prove to anybody and would prefer they take their chaos elsewhere. Only thing that truly bugs me is when they have to "cut me off" to try to prove something on their way by. With as hard as I try to keep distance and avoid all the debris kicked up from tires of cars ahead, that is truly irksome to me. When there is plenty of room, take the room, don't cut me off for no reason. To me, "having fun" in my Model S will not be defined by "going up against" anybody else.

All due respect, the Nissan Skyline (the GT-R's lineage) has long been among the world's great sports cars. Sniggering at a Nissan badge only shows one's ignorance.

That said, if a dual-motor, AWD Model S with appropriate thermal management tweaks in place were available, the GT-R might be in for some heartburn, at least in a straight line.

I do get tired of so many people thinking they have something to prove any time they get near a Model S. When the squirrels show up, I just slow down and let them get as far ahead of me as they want. I have nothing to prove to anybody and would prefer they take their chaos elsewhere. Only thing that truly bugs me is when they have to "cut me off" to try to prove something on their way by. With as hard as I try to keep distance and avoid all the debris kicked up from tires of cars ahead, that is truly irksome to me. When there is plenty of room, take the room, don't cut me off for no reason. To me, "having fun" in my Model S will not be defined by "going up against" anybody else.

Very well put! When I had a slightly slower but luxurious car, I had frequent urges to see how it would match up to others. Now that I know I can blow by almost everybody I realize that I really don't have anything to prove so I just focus on making my drives as pleasant and efficient as possible. Keeps my adrenaline and blood pressure levels reasonable. That means I try overtaking only for a damned good reason.

wow, a lot of cluelessness in here...

I've had 3 GT-R's, well worth the $100k, they used to start at $74k...
I did 0-60 in 2.8 seconds bone stock
you can launch as much as you want without voiding the warranty
takes no time to setup launch control
the Model S is a turtle compared to the GT-R....

plenty of cars do 0-60 under 4 seconds with RWD....

- - - Updated - - -

why, 7 full all out acceleration runs and the Model S get's hot and goes into power limiting mode...

I'm probably "finding the wrong moral" again, but my conclusion was:
  • When racing a GT-R, always do best of 7.