Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to get the 50K service done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My Tesla has been into service 8 or 9 times since I've owned it but never for "maintenance". I'm at 49K miles now and just scheduled a service visit week after next to fix quite a long list of mostly minor (and some not so minor) issues before the warranty expires.

Early on I'd read that Tesla really examines the cars very thoroughly during paid service visits. I vaguely remember an account where someone said they'd taken off the bumpers and practically went through the entire car making sure everything was OK.

My suspicion is that this diligence was an artifact early of examining how the cars were holding up and that now that years have gone and with service centers jam packed with cars on tight schedules, that they're more likely to do the bare minimum.

The $850 includes battery fluid, brake fluid flush, wheel alignment, multi point inspection and other stuff I don't really need like fob battery replacements which I just did plus I already have a lifetime wheel alignment contract elsewhere. Also my brake fluid has 0% moisture and 0 ppm of copper so far so it would be a waste of resources to change perfectly good fluid.

I also recently remember reading that the battery warranty does not require changing the fluid(except in MA)since Tesla has declined publish service documentation that third parties or DIYers could use to perform those maintenance items.

Still $850 once on the off chance that they might find other things that need correcting under warranty is why I'm more than tempted to pop for the 50K service while I'm there getting other things fixed.

Any thoughts?

Is there no a la carte option? I'm coming up on 12K and considering just trying to have the motor fluid changed rather than the alignment and all that other jazz I don't need. It's easy enough to do myself, but not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of doing it (going somewhere with a lift and figuring out how to get all the plastic panels off).

If you actually plan on keeping the car for a long time, I'd say it's worth doing the battery fluid and motor fluid (if you haven't done so). If you neglect those things, it could be grounds for warranty denial in the future for possibly related failures.

Thank God I went the pre-paid route when I thought I was just saving $100 per service. Coupled with the alignment it’s turned out to be quite the bargain.

What’s the schedule beyond 50k? Or does it just repeat?

AFAIK services are not required for warranty, so it depends on what you think needs done. I was planning to do my 2 year service after 3 years/30K miles just to get it inspected, make sure nothing came loose, etc. Ended up needing alignment recently so did it 5 months earlier. Next one will be just before the bumper-to-bumper warranty ends, to catch anything which may need to be fixed before it's out of warranty. For our newer MS, I'm thinking 2 year and 4 year just before warranty expiration. I know there is a drive unit flush recommended in year one, but if it wasn't even recommended for my P so likely it's a precautionary measure, and since the drivetrain is under 8 year warranty, I figure if it was important, Tesla would have done it for free rather than adding the cost to year 1 maintenance.

I did mine at 49.5k - just from warranty concerns. It was my first service. They didn't find anything to repair that they told me about.
I had a few things to request repair on - they were pretty minor except for the half shafts.
They did mess up my hatch so I have to go back - GRRR!

Reactions: JPUConn
You would have gotten a new drive unit regardless, those are warranted for 10 years unlimited miles.

Quite right. I probably would have noticed it and brought it in later but it's saved me an extra trip. They also did a ton of little things, even a ring around one of the inside lights that was cracked. I was more than pleased, thought it was a bargain.

They can but must be edited within 20 minutes (I think is the number).

You have 1 hour to edit your post.

Select "More" then "Edit"

20180122_141625.jpg

Reactions: AmpedRealtor