Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my wait finally over? Tesla for people with highway phobia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I consider this frequently, but in a slightly different way.

My question is would this technology help my daughter (now 15) be safer and more comfortable as a driver when she turns 16.

As of now, my strategy is to not introduce her to AP until she is comfortable in nearly all situations. It adds another layer of complexity. Hopefully it will convince me otherwise sometime soon. But now, no.

So I’d think it would depend on exactly what is your highway phobia. My mom will not drive over bridges. I don’t think this would help her. If it’s something like lane placement, this might help. You would have to try.

Last edited:
I think for a novice driver autopilot might cause more stress, not less.

Not quite a novice... Previously a drag racer and SCCA parking lot racer...

Used to drive 500 miles a day on freeways.

Then around age 30... Things changed. Took benzos for 10 years which helped but I hate the benzo fog.

Now at my age and position in life, self employed and comfortable... I just avoid the stress.

I consider this frequently, but in a slightly different way.

My question is would this technology help my daughter (now 15) be safer and more comfortable as a driver when she turns 16.

As of now, my strategy is to not introduce her to AP until she is comfortable in nearly all situations. It adds another layer of complexity. Hopefully it will convince me otherwise sometime soon. But now, no.

So I’d think it would depend on exactly what is your highway phobia. My mom will not drive over bridges. I don’t think this would help her. If it’s something like lame placement, this might help. You would have to try.

My phobia is pressure filled situations.

My #1 problem is when freeways merge onto the LEFT Lane of another freeway with everyone going 80.

Other than that, anxiety at 70+ and high speed congestion.

Fwiw, bumper to bumper traffic at a snails pace doesn't bug me at all.

My #1 problem is when freeways merge onto the LEFT Lane of another freeway with everyone going 80.

I’d say it would not yet be helpful. I’m not convinced it handles the merge safely or it just jets lucky.

I’m in LA this weekend for the first time in forever. I think I’d develop the same phobia if I lived here!

• Funny
Reactions: JD Luxe

Would having more power than your average car help reduce your anxiety? Teslas are so powerful that you can pretty much pick your spot in traffic and just go there with a squeeze of your right foot.

Elon predicts that prices will continue to increase as FSD rolls out later this year. If you want to get in on the action before Tesla values increase, now would be the time. You might even be able to get something before the next step down in the federal tax credit (dropping from $3,750 to $1,875 on July 1st).

Depends mostly on highway conditions but my experience with Navigate on Autopilot (on ramp to off ramp autopilot) on well marked highways without heavy construction has been incredibly positive. Assuming you’d be prepared to take over if presented with a tricky situation, I’d say the current version of autopilot might fulfill your needs. In fact, I presume that any version of autopilot would be a far greater aid to you than the offerings of your current vehicle. It also helps that Tesla’s vehicles have the lowest probability of injury of any other vehicles on the market. Regarding freedom, buy a Tesla and soon you’ll be looking for excuses to go out and drive on the highway; it’s that damn good.
The problem here is that the OP CLEARLY STATED that he or she IS NOT ready to take over, due to the blinding fear of highways.

Anyone who fears their car should not be driving, period. This isn't a right, it's a highly advanced skill set needed to operate a 4000 pound vehicle.

Would having more power than your average car help reduce your anxiety? Teslas are so powerful that you can pretty much pick your spot in traffic and just go there with a squeeze of your right foot.

Elon predicts that prices will continue to increase as FSD rolls out later this year. If you want to get in on the action before Tesla values increase, now would be the time. You might even be able to get something before the next step down in the federal tax credit (dropping from $3,750 to $1,875 on July 1st).
Ya, more power is a great solution for timid drivers.....smh.

Since he said he was previously a drag racer and an SCCA racer, I figured I'd ask. Some people are afraid of merge situations because they aren't confident in their vehicle's performance.

I developed my anxiety later in life.

In my 20's I ran in a really fast crowd, the whole Socal street racing scene and all. Lost a few friends in crashes and was in a minor crash myself.

I drove a full framed 8 second Mustang pro-street back then and had a fully worked SVO Mustang for street duty and the SCCA events.

Today drive a Cayenne Turbo everyday.

I still love drifting around tight roads... It's the freeways that have my number.

I know exactly how you feel because I was the same, maybe worse.

I bought a Model 3 a few months ago, and since then I've been driving on the freeways a lot. It's not 100% stress-free yet, but it's much better. When I bought the car, I was expecting to use autopilot / FSD for on ramp merges and lane changes, because that stressed me out the most. But what I've found is that during busy traffic, neither is ready for prime time, and I still have to do those things myself. BUT the instant torque and rapid acceleration makes it much easier to do those things myself and with much more confidence. So even though it didn't do what I thought it would do (but it might in the future) it still made freeway driving a much more pleasant experience.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie and JD Luxe
“Plenty”???
YouTube it, one or two deaths so far with Semi’s and one member posted his experience here on the site, he was merging into the freeway and took control seconds before he was going to go under the semi, I think the title of his thread was “I almost died today” see his video there.

Almost had a serious crash driving on AP

Another tragic fatality with a semi in Florida. This time a Model 3

Tesla On Autopilot Slams Into Stalled Car On Highway, Expect More Of This

My Model 3's AutoPilot tried to KILL me! (NEARLY)

Still lookin for that video that was posted on here by a member, wonder if it was deleted.

Fred

Last edited:
@JD Luxe I totally get how driving around LA can send your blood pressure up, I'm not a fan. I used to do the SCCA road race thing, I trusted those drivers inches from my car at speed vs most of the lumbering speeding SUVs I encounter these days, it's nerve wracking at a minimum.

That said, the performance of the 3 is great for getting you out of trouble, the you-never-want-to-prove-it safety of the car itself in a collision is also a great help to piece of mind.

Take a drive, see how it fits.