Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Performance Worth It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love your breakdown there SammichLover. And agreed it's not just a light for racing people, it's another chance just to enjoy takeoff on the roller-coaster again. And everyone loves a roller-coaster when they're in it. I remember when I was like 13 years old one time at Six Flags I did this crazy roller coaster like 9 times with a friend until we were both sick to our stomach. But I didn't regret it one bit. The Tesla feels the same way to me.

Reactions: SammichLover
I drove 10k miles my first Model 3 LR RWD, upgraded for Performance on December 18. I decided to go with it for the following reasons:

- car much stable on rainy days, slippery roads. The day i went to test drive P, was first rainy day of December. I could compare driving behaviors of both cars same day, gap of 10-20min. Performance on track mode 0-60 3 times no issues.. whereas my LR M3 was acting up.

- 20” wheels made the difference on all.

- Had a Wrx and Audi A6 before so love the driving experience of 4 wheels spinning.

- 0-60 in 3 seconds... not sure how many cars can do that on public roads for that price.

After 3k miles in now, my thoughts:

1) loss of range 100 miles due to EPA loophole; as they both are advertised as 310 miles. But the performance epa was tested in 2017, with 18” aero wheels. Didnt know that before, i just assumed I could blindly trust Tesla.

2) 20” wheels is great, but u can get great tires for 18” too, i was told.

3) i could have saved $20k

4) I agree with ben from YT, 400 miles range will be perfect

5) i need to raise $200k for Roadster now hahah 600 miles.

Pick either, you will be 100% happy as I am.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I drove 10k miles my first Model 3 LR RWD, upgraded for Performance on December 18. I decided to go with it for the following reasons:

- car much stable on rainy days, slippery roads. The day i went to test drive P, was first rainy day of December. I could compare driving behaviors of both cars same day, gap of 10-20min. Performance on track mode 0-60 3 times no issues.. whereas my LR M3 was acting up.

- 20” wheels made the difference on all.

- Had a Wrx and Audi A6 before so love the driving experience of 4 wheels spinning.

- 0-60 in 3 seconds... not sure how many cars can do that on public roads for that price.

After 3k miles in now, my thoughts:

1) loss of range 100 miles due to EPA loophole; as they both are advertised as 310 miles. But the performance epa was tested in 2017, with 18” aero wheels. Didnt know that before, i just assumed I could blindly trust Tesla.

2) 20” wheels is great, but u can get great tires for 18” too, i was told.

3) i could have saved $20k

4) I agree with ben from YT, 400 miles range will be perfect

5) i need to raise $200k for Roadster now hahah 600 miles.

Pick either, you will be 100% happy as I am.

How could you have saved 20K?

Heck yeah...I use the performance acceleration every day battling Florida rednecks and dodging University of Florida students. I also love the way the wheels/red calipers look. I accidentally enabled chill mode with an unknown code and almost had to get psychiatric therapy for adjustment disorder

And if they offer a over the air Ludicrous upgrade for 5-10 K if under 3 sec 0-60, I am all over it. I will ask for forgiveness from my wife ( who will be in chill mode for a few months) later.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Hey everyone,

New to the forums, and awaiting confirmation from my apartment on charging allowance in my garage before pulling the trigger on a Tesla. If everything with management works out though, Im planning on finally getting my dream car!

The question I keep going back and forth on is if the performance $10k upgrade is worth it. For anyone that has the performance model, do you consider it worth what you paid? I know the acceleration boost is awesome (I got to test drive both versions over time), otherwise I wouldn't even be considering it, but it still leaves me unsure.

Also, there's a tiny itch for me to just go all in on a Model X instead (performance mode if Im spending that much for the car anyway). I love the murdered out look with the carbon fiber and black interior of the X. But hearing some of the stories of how hard parts are to get for that car it just seem so chaotic. Hoping the Model 3 will be a bit easier with Elon finally talking about the SC's needing a big improvement. I know right now for any car its basically SOL with lots of things regarding SC.

Basically, Im really torn and would love to hear everyones opinions between the two cars, and their upgrade options.
We have a dual motor and a Performance version, and we love both. As a personal decision, the extra $$ was worth it to me, but my wife not so much. That is why she has the dual motor. She’d probably be more than happy with a RWD version, but I am really happy to have spent the extra cash on my P3.