Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is "phone as key" reliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys might be getting sick of my rookie questions! Recently bought a used 2017 75D and it only came with one key fob. I was thinking it would come with a little credit card that works as the key but I guess not. Anyway, in the app, when I click on Controls, there’s an icon at the bottom that says Start. When I push it, there’s a two minute countdown. I assume this lets me drive the car without the key fob, but is this a reliable way to get around? Thank you!!

The phone key you are referring to is very different for your model year than the refreshed ones. The refreshed models the phone literally acts like the key fob using a combination of Bluetooth and UWB signals. The options you see are your ability to use the phone to remotely unlock and drive the car. This can be done 1000 miles away, because it uses cell service, whereas the phone key requires proximity and does not rely on cell service (although the option to start the car and make it drivable is still present with cell service). The downside to the way yours works is that if you happen to park in an area with poor cell service (like a parking garage) you may not be able to unlock and start your vehicle.

Reactions: Made in CA
You guys might be getting sick of my rookie questions! Recently bought a used 2017 75D and it only came with one key fob. I was thinking it would come with a little credit card that works as the key but I guess not. Anyway, in the app, when I click on Controls, there’s an icon at the bottom that says Start. When I push it, there’s a two minute countdown. I assume this lets me drive the car without the key fob, but is this a reliable way to get around? Thank you!!
It's reliable if the Internet signal and Tesla servers are. If either of those 2 are down, that method doesn't work for your S/X produced before 2021 without key card technology like Model 3...

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
It's reliable if the Internet signal and Tesla servers are. If either of those 2 are down, that method doesn't work for you.
...and the car's MCU, which sometimes goes brain dead and doesn't respond to queries even if everything else is working great.

Personally I would not rely on it as my only means of accessing the car with any regularity. Great to have as a backup.

Reactions: drift
On few occasions my app wouldn't connect to the car so that would mean no way to drive if i were depending on it..
Get a second key fob
I hear u can program used ones on S (via Tesla or other means) but not for X.

Well I got on the Tesla app and was going to order another key fob since I only have one fob and I can’t get key cards. When I clicked on the model S key fob it says it only works with later model years. Do I have any options at all for another key?? Lose the one I have and I’ll have to take my car to the scrapyard or what?

One small detail on programming a new fob. You need to have both your new fob and your old fob available at the same time. Otherwise your old one will get disconnected when the program the new one to the car. With multiple fobs, they need to pair them all as a set at one time.

Reactions: Takumi and TJ313