Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Road Tax included for the 1st year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure registration details are correct. Tesla messed mine up and put the owner as the company at the registered address. This made insurance a pain and I needed to change the V5C which in turn terminated the tax (even though it was an amendment to the name). Had to pay another £320 but Tesla did provide a letter for the DVLA admitting the mistake so hopefully they’ll refund the road tax (fingers crossed)

Make sure registration details are correct. Tesla messed mine up and put the owner as the company at the registered address. This made insurance a pain and I needed to change the V5C which in turn terminated the tax (even though it was an amendment to the name). Had to pay another £320 but Tesla did provide a letter for the DVLA admitting the mistake so hopefully they’ll refund the road tax (fingers crossed)
Don't hold your breath.
The good news is you have not paid extra just early. It means the luxury car tax on your car will finish after 5 years instead of the usual 6. Whomever owns the car in 5 years will really appreciate it.

• Informative
Reactions: pjuk
Christ I was just about to leap in here and explain how there was no tax on EVS.... and then realised that dumb government decision introduced this crap... Another stupid thing that really has to go..

Depends on the model, I thought? The UK SR+ is 39,990 sans EV grant, which is just a smidge under the 40k threshold for Luxury Car Tax.

This was assumed at first, but the threshold includes delivery. When you include delivery, the price is over £40k.

There was some rumour that Tesla may offer free delivery in September, but you can take that with a giant pinch of salt.

• Informative
Reactions: Rob R
This was assumed at first, but the threshold includes delivery. When you include delivery, the price is over £40k.

There was some rumour that Tesla may offer free delivery in September, but you can take that with a giant pinch of salt.

Oh, that's really sh*tty. I mean, I'm not against Luxury Car Tax at all, but we should be giving ALL the incentives to go EV right now with the planet cooking.

Reactions: Roy W.
Christ I was just about to leap in here and explain how there was no tax on EVS.... and then realised that dumb government decision introduced this crap... Another stupid thing that really has to go..

Deemed to be politically insensitive subsidising people who can afford this, considering the M3 was deemed to be the People's Tesla it's a bit unfortunate about the threshold here. Cynics might blame this on incumbent ICE Mfrs & oil lobbying.

Oh, that's really sh*tty. I mean, I'm not against Luxury Car Tax at all, but we should be giving ALL the incentives to go EV right now with the planet cooking.

However from legislation dating back to 2017 - the BIK charge reduces to ZERO for pure BEVs and then onto a low rate for a few years from Tax year 2020/21, if you can get an auto lease through work it's looking like the deal of the century. This could potentially save £2000 per year on an M3 for business use. Incredibly this was put in place during the 2017 Finance Bill, I think it's too far down the road to be revoked at this stage, I imagine there will be a surge in business uptake.

UK to strike company car tax for EVs in 2020 - electrive.com

gov says this "
Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000
You have to pay an extra £320 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)." all of m3s are above that :/

but why a luxury car tax AT ALL? We have progressive income tax for that. Ill pay a luxury car tax the day they introduce the luxury wine tax, the luxury holiday tax, the luxury TV tax... picking on cars is totally irrational. Pathetic political pandering

My educated guess would be.
The VED used to be CO2 based but the makers got too good too fast at beating that so after a short while most cars were paying zero to £30. Not enough revenue.
They needed a quick fix. So it went to blanket £140 per car but still not enough revenue and more would have been too much for the low end cars. Due to BIK gov already have reliable list price data with a firm set of rules so this was an obvious way to set a second pay level. Making it fixed not progressive made it cheap and quick to implement. Don't underestimate time and cost of IT system changes . Why set 40k/£320? 40k is a level that would garner little public sympathy when people complain and £320 would be based on how much they wanted to raise.
So not only is it a dumb regressive tax. It's genysis was probably pretty dumb as well.

My educated guess would be.
The VED used to be CO2 based but the makers got too good too fast at beating that so after a short while most cars were paying zero to £30. Not enough revenue.
They needed a quick fix. So it went to blanket £140 per car but still not enough revenue and more would have been too much for the low end cars. Due to BIK gov already have reliable list price data with a firm set of rules so this was an obvious way to set a second pay level. Making it fixed not progressive made it cheap and quick to implement. Don't underestimate time and cost of IT system changes . Why set 40k/£320? 40k is a level that would garner little public sympathy when people complain and £320 would be based on how much they wanted to raise.
So not only is it a dumb regressive tax. It's genysis was probably pretty dumb as well.
You speak like you are surprised to see the UK Government doing dumb things!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.