Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Y better than other all electric SUVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the Genesis GV60 Advanced in August and loving it.
Wow... I remembered the EV6 but forgot to add the GV60.

Definitely another consideration for the OP... those racing videos with the GV60 are impressive.

Next year will also bring several more competitors if the OP can wait.

I also have to agree the Y has ridiculous storage space. Used to have a minivan but the Y can stand toe-to-toe for Costco trips.

Just wish the Y had a driver display... bought one of those cheapie HUDs that seem to help. :)

Wow... I remembered the EV6 but forgot to add the GV60.

Definitely another consideration for the OP... those racing videos with the GV60 are impressive.

Next year will also bring several more competitors if the OP can wait.

I also have to agree the Y has ridiculous storage space. Used to have a minivan but the Y can stand toe-to-toe for Costco trips.

Just wish the Y had a driver display... bought one of those cheapie HUDs that seem to help. :)
I was behind a GV60 yesterday. I didn't recognize it from behind.

No racing stories either although I would not have been shy and I had more than 50 percent SOC. :)

Soon to be Tesla Model Y owner, yes I think it is better than all other electric SUVs out now based on extensive research I've done.

Similar to your situation, soon to be Tesla model Y owner. I think the Tesla is the best option in its price and size range. If I had more money, I'd probably go with the BMW iX over the Tesla Model X or Rivian (my current car is a BMW and generally a fan of the brand) but I found the relative trade offs in the $70k price range to be slightly in Tesla's favor. My general thoughts:

I didn't like the styling of the Hyundai or kia offerings - too racer hatchback feel for me. Also not a fan of the styling of the Mercedes EQB. The Volkswagen ID4 horror stories will keep me away from it and the Audi Q4 (which also feels rather pedestrian) although the Porsche Taycan seems very nice and I would seriously consider, but not a SUV.

Of the serious choices, I think it came down to the Tesla model Y, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Bolt EUV, and Toyota Rav 4 Prime for me. If I could get a Toyota Rav 4 Prime at MSRP, I would since it's a great practical SUV and the plug-in nature means it has enough range for most of my daily uses. However, the ridiculousness of Toyota dealerships with markups and the long waitlists of the ones without markups basically means it's off the list for a terrible buying experience. The Bolt EUV is decent but it's definitely a bit small and cramped.

That leaves the Ford mustang mach-e vs the Tesla Model Y. I spent a lot of time looking at both cars in person. The shared pros are that both cars are mature platforms, decent styling, and have enough cargo space. Also, they have shared cons of quality issues that both brands have. I don't think one is better than the other outside of the mind of fanboys. I think it came down to the following for me: 1) Tesla has bigger cargo space, 2) better software, and 3) better buying experience (yes you can pre-order a ford without a dealer markup but I need one soon - my existing car has about $3k of maintenance that I know I'll have to pay for if I keep it beyond March of 2023 and it's worth much less than $3k now in trade in value).

Biggest con for Tesla is no apple CarPlay but my current car doesn't have it so I think I can live without it. I also think all the feature changes like no USS is annoying but I'll take the better suspension over USS.

I think the Mach-E is worth considering at $5k less than the Tesla but at price parity, the
Mach E GT still has this limitation. Regular Mach E AWD doesn't seem to have this limitation.

Last edited:
The Rivian pricing starts around 87K. Not all that close to MY pricing. But interesting concept to them.
I'm 6'0" and found it difficult to contort into and out of the driver door. Once in, I like the interior and seating,.
But it's like it's made for short people, and I'm not all that tall.
i have the opportunity to get the R1T launch edition for 85k ... are you saying the rivian is made for short people?

also the rivian gets a 10k tax credit still (in Colorado with federal) so it is actually about the same price as a model Y... the Rivian is ALOT more car than the model Y (almost twice the battery)

my only reservation is that i dont really need another car right now

Reactions: cdub and Mike7564
i have the opportunity to get the R1T launch edition for 85k ... are you saying the rivian is made for short people?

also the rivian gets a 10k tax credit still (in Colorado with federal) so it is actually about the same price as a model Y... the Rivian is ALOT more car than the model Y (almost twice the battery)

my only reservation is that i dont really need another car right now
unfortunately, bigger battery doesn't buy bigger range. it's the same as a MYLR.
so not all that efficient, and longer to charge when not at home.
but it's a better utility vehicle, for sure.

Reactions: DrGriz
unfortunately, bigger battery doesn't buy bigger range. it's the same as a MYLR.
This nuance seems to get lost a lot... The size of the battery is almost irrelevant.

Another example: nobody would get excited about the big 91 kWh battery in the Ford Mustang Mach-E. Because... The car only gets 312 miles of range out of its comparative model (AWD California Route 1) to the 330 miles from the Model Y with its smaller battery.

A big battery can conceal a lot of sins. In the case of the R1S - the car is a big, boxy truck. It is not very aerodynamic. So it needs a massive battery just to move its mass.

And my favorite... check out the massive battery in the Cadillac Lyriq... buuuuut, the slow 2WD variant only gets 312 miles of range.

so not all that efficient, and longer to charge when not at home.
but it's a better utility vehicle, for sure.
from what i've read the range is better than the MYLR .. sure its not as efficient but its way more practical in many situations

also i wouldnt say the battery size is irrelevant.. doing things like car camping or dumping 10kwh for heat means less impact in extreme weather

tldr: version "Same trip in a Rivian vs a Tesla Model S, made it there and back 40 minutes quicker with the Rivian, travelling at basically the same speeds."

from what i've read the range is better than the MYLR .. sure its not as efficient but its way more practical in many situations

also i wouldnt say the battery size is irrelevant.. doing things like car camping or dumping 10kwh for heat means less impact in extreme weather

tldr: version "Same trip in a Rivian vs a Tesla Model S, made it there and back 40 minutes quicker with the Rivian, travelling at basically the same speeds."
not sure the logic works.
dumping energy into a heater or having less impact in cold weather? if the energy efficiency isn't there, those can't benefit.

Reactions: DrGriz
not sure the logic works.
dumping energy into a heater or having less impact in cold weather? if the energy efficiency isn't there, those can't benefit.
it takes less percentage of the battery to provide heat (when your battery is larger)... for example it probably takes the model Y something like 9 kwh to heat the cabin overnight which is 12% of the battery vs. the rivian may take 10kwh which is only 8% of the battery

it takes less percentage of the battery to provide heat (when your battery is larger)... for example it probably takes the model Y something like 9 kwh to heat the cabin overnight which is 12% of the battery vs. the rivian may take 10kwh which is only 8% of the battery
it may only be 8% of the battery, but that represents much more range loss than on a more efficient platform.

Car and Driver only got 230 miles in their R1S highway test. (I think they drive at 75 MPH.) They got 222 miles out of the 2020 Model S they tested. So, looks like highway range is pretty similar between the two. (Though, the C&D does not say whether that 2020 S was a long, standard, performance, or Plus range.)

Reactions: cdub and gt2690b
Car and Driver only got 230 miles in their R1S highway test. (I think they drive at 75 MPH.) They got 222 miles out of the 2020 Model S they tested. So, looks like highway range is pretty similar between the two. (Though, the C&D does not say whether that 2020 S was a long, standard, performance, or Plus range.)

The R1T gets ~280 miles on the all seasons... im assuming the R1S would do similarly if they werent running all terrains.... either way the point remains a larger battery is not insignificant

We should collectively agree to strike the phrase "real world" from vehicle range discussions. Everyone seems to have a different definition of "real world," depending on what is important to them. There many very different real world use cases that folks could apply, and significance depends highly on every individual:
  1. Continuous highway driving
  2. Stop-and-go traffic driving
  3. Suburban commuter driving
EVs get killed in continuous highway driving compared to their stated ranges. And the big winners in that category are the most aerodynamic.

EVs flourish in stop-and-go and suburban driving. In those cases, I would expect the smaller and lighter cars to come closer to their EPA ratings, if not exceed them. In my case, I will never-to-rarely road trip my car, so I truly do not care what its continuous highway driving range is. So, I care more about the urban and suburban driving ranges.

The R1T gets ~280 miles on the all seasons... im assuming the R1S would do similarly if they werent running all terrains.... either way the point remains a larger battery is not insignificant
What I meant is that battery size as a comparative measure between vehicles is almost irrelevant. The R1x needs a massive battery to achieve the range it gets, because it is so heavy and less aerodynamic than other vehicles. The Hummer EV needs a ridonkulous battery just to haul its brick self around. But, nobody would get excited about the size of its battery relative to other cars. It is just a product of its weight and aerodynamics.

Last edited:
We should collectively agree to strike the phrase "real world" from vehicle range discussions. Everyone seems to have a different definition of "real world," depending on what is important to them. There many very different real world use cases that folks could apply, and significance depends highly on every individual:
  1. Continuous highway driving
  2. Stop-and-go traffic driving
  3. Suburban commuter driving
EVs get killed in continuous highway driving compared to their stated ranges. And the big winners in that category are the most aerodynamic.

EVs flourish in stop-and-go and suburban driving. In those cases, I would expect the smaller and lighter cars to come closer to their EPA ratings, if not exceed them. In my case, I will never-to-rarely road trip my car, so I truly do not care what its continuous highway driving range is. So, I care more about the urban and suburban driving ranges.
the problem is manufacturers do not run their EPA tests the same.. so "real world" is the closest thing we have to comparing apples to apples..

no doubt the model y is more efficient and cheaper to run per mile.. but:

1) electricity is pretty cheap and 70mpge is still pretty good
2) larger inertia vehicles have more energy to use for regen / stop and go so they will also do better in their "city" ratings.. the rivian would be even better since aerodynamics would play less of a role
3) you're getting alot more vehicle for basically the same price

rivian is likely losing money on every sale while tesla is making a killing on every sale.. the biggest selling point imo for tesla is the supercharger network but if your'e "never-to-rarely road" tripping your car than that point is mute

if youre really trying to get the cheapest mi per dollar then the model 3 would win over the Y .. the Y fills a niche of larger than a 3 but way smaller than a rivian

Last edited: