Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 4 week delivery time real time or Elon time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order on February 3. Today I got word that my Model 3 has passed inspection and they will let me know when it's been assigned to a truck to be shipped to me. So if I'd been willing to pick it up in Bellevue and drive 300 miles over the mountains in winter, I'd probably have been able to pick it up tomorrow (which is the day they originally told me, before I specified I wanted it delivered due to the distance). That would have been 3 1/2 weeks from the date of my order. As it is, it's possible they could have it here within the 4 weeks. But I will give them credit for this: That the car is ready. Only the time to ship it to me is still undetermined.

I'm very excited. I've been reading the owner's manual to get ready. In some respect (looks, acceleration) it will be a step down from the Roadster. But I'm excited for the tech features of EAP. And it will be a more practical car.

Which color and wheel option? Blue Aero, right?
Did you get your VIN today?

I think he got his VIN way back in the February 19th batch, so it's nothing new.

Yep, I got my VIN after I placed my order, or maybe it was when I paid for the car, don't remember; but I've had it for a while.

Blue paint (I always get blue cars, except for the Roadster, which is Very Orange because that was the car with the fewest options in inventory when I got it, and the Zap Xebra, which was Garden-Pest Green, because my only other option was red. Very Orange turned out to be the absolute best color for a sports car, but only for a sports car. And I learned to love the disgusting green of the Xebra, because it really was the silliest, funniest, coolest car I had ever owned, and 100% electric after GM had crushed the EV1 and Tesla had not yet started selling the Roadster and every other EV you could buy was a NEV.)

Standard wheels.

EAP.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Yep, I got my VIN after I placed my order, or maybe it was when I paid for the car, don't remember; but I've had it for a while.

Blue paint (I always get blue cars, except for the Roadster, which is Very Orange because that was the car with the fewest options in inventory when I got it, and the Zap Xebra, which was Garden-Pest Green, because my only other option was red. Very Orange turned out to be the absolute best color for a sports car, but only for a sports car. And I learned to love the disgusting green of the Xebra, because it really was the silliest, funniest, coolest car I had ever owned, and 100% electric after GM had crushed the EV1 and Tesla had not yet started selling the Roadster and every other EV you could buy was a NEV.)

Standard wheels.

EAP.
I do love that Very Orange on roadster! Did they end up scheduling delivery to your house for the 3?

I do love that Very Orange on roadster! Did they end up scheduling delivery to your house for the 3?

To be fair to them, it just cleared inspection yesterday. So, no, I have not heard a delivery date yet. Today is the date I'd have been able to pick it up if I'd wanted to drive it home to Spokane from Bellevue, about 300 miles over the mountains in winter. I'm hoping for a delivery date soon.

I just got a phone call from the truck driver. He will pick up my car tomorrow, and if the weather and traffic cooperate and there are no unforeseen problems (or, as my South Dakota friends like to say, "god willin' and the creek don't rise") I'll get the car late tomorrow. That will be half a week inside of the 4-week estimate, even with shipping to Spokane.

I am so excited! (Even though it means I'll be selling my Roadster. I'll post in the Tesla for Sale forum when the time comes, probably in a week or so after I'm sure that getting the Model 3 was not a mistake.)

The next ten or so hours are going to be an agony of waiting. The place opens in 3 hours, and then the trucker can pick up my car. No idea if they'll get it loaded into his truck right at 9:00 or if it will take time. Then ideally it's a 5-hour drive, and he'll probably stop to eat along the way, so a lot will depend on the weather. At present it's snowing at the pass and there's snow and slush at places on the roadway, but it will be late morning or early afternoon when the trucker gets there, so I can hope for better weather by then. I'm really glad I'm not driving the car over the mountains myself. And I'm really happy with Tesla for getting my car onto a truck just one day after I could have picked it up myself. This company really does care about us.

Reactions: rsbell and DR61
My Model 3 arrived at about 4:30 this afternoon. This car is a damn computer, and as hard to learn to operate as a computer. I'm making progress. But I think I'm going to have to get the Tesla ranger to stop by and give me a walk-through. Fortunately, he's had his Model 3 for a while and knows the car.

I'm sure I will love it, but I've got a steep learning curve ahead.

Picking up the M3 at 5:00 PM on March 6th. I ran into a colleague that I haven’t seen for a while and he mentioned he rode in a M3, recently. He said it almost broke his neck. It took me a moment to realize that he meant unexpected acceleration. He had other positive things to say- all electric cool factor, high quality interior, etc. I must be living in the 21st century: I feel excited after talking to a person who has actually ridden in the car that I have already bought, sight unseen.

Picking up the M3 at 5:00 PM on March 6th. I ran into a colleague that I haven’t seen for a while and he mentioned he rode in a M3, recently. He said it almost broke his neck. It took me a moment to realize that he meant unexpected acceleration. He had other positive things to say- all electric cool factor, high quality interior, etc. I must be living in the 21st century: I feel excited after talking to a person who has actually ridden in the car that I have already bought, sight unseen.

You want acceleration, see if you can get a ride in (or better yet, test drive) a P100D Model S. I drove a P85D Model S and even that thing felt like double the acceleration of my Roadster (though technically it was less than double).

But, yes, my new Model 3 looks very nice and clean. I'll report later today on my first drive. All I did last night after it got here was put it in the garage and try to figure out how to operate it. The damn thing is more computer than car.

Reactions: M3totms
What color and wheel combo did you do? It's clear Aeros are getting VINs slower. Anyone know how/where the aero wheels are manufactured? I know Tesla designed them, but wondering where they are made. Perhaps there is a delay getting them from a supplier?

I still think we need someone with strong logistics knowledge to track what Tesla is importing from overseas. All that stuff is public info.

Approaching 5 weeks since configurating and still No Vin.