Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the EAP feature suite complete with V9’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not needed for EAP. The feature won't work right. Better to focus on and rely exclusively on HD maps.

This one of those yes, and no things.

I had an AP1 with sign recognition that at times failed. I don't think we can rely on sign recognition always working, and if it doesn't work right 100% of a time then it's a serious problem at we head towards FSD.

It's better to have sign recognition CONFIRM what the map data says about that section.

That way if the two things conflict then the data can be uploaded to Tesla for them to determine what the speed limit really is for that part.

Now that isn't always going to be possible either as some areas are just confusing.

Like there is a roadway near me that is supposed to be a 35mph zone, but right now the signs say 20mph because construction is occurring there. The sign doesn't say anything about "while construction workers are present" or anything else like that. It simply says 20mph, and all the 35mph signs are covered.

Absolutely no one knows what speed to go. Some people ignore it and travel 35mph, and other people go exactly 20. The cops aren't even there when construction isn't occurring because I'm not sure they even know what to do. There is a different area nearby that is a typical 35mph zone that has been 25mph for a few years because it's near rich white people sleeping. That area is heavily enforced by cops, and lots of signage (speed limit signs, written on the road, electronic speed indictors). The average speed there is around 25-30mph because of the heavy enforcement.

I love biking there because I can keep up with traffic. It's fun passing cars to my left when I'm in the bike lane.

Reactions: pkodali
Traffic-sign recognition was not part of the original EAP description, though of course it was a feature of AP1, and was widely expected to be included. But it could be argued EAP would be complete even without out.

enhanced-autopilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-cost.jpg

That said, it is true that Smart Summon was described in other places describing EAP related features, though, and that is still missing.

Autopilot

Related on a tangent given the picture from Design Studio in late 2016 above, also missing is the Tesla Network description for FSD, details of which were to be released in 2017.

Last edited: