Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

Is the lack of electrically-folding mirrors a big problem?

• YES! I will have to fold in my mirror(s) by hand every time.

Votes: 43 21.6%
  • Not absolutely necessary, but would use it if equipped.

Votes: 88 44.2%
  • I have no use for it, manual folding is fine for me.

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Robert. Do you know how it works for the modifications? I mean if a modification which is not an option is implemented on the Tesla Model S after that I have bought it will Tesla implement the modification also on my car? Thank you for your kind attention. Regards. Raffaele

Looking at Roadster history, Tesla made most upgrades available to the cars that were already in customers hand. Some parts were upgraded under warranty since Tesla eliminated source of failures, e.g. PEM & motor cooling air fans. Other upgrades came at a cost, e.g. sound deadening kit, or xenon headlights at a hefty EUR2,000 for European Roadster owners.

Don't worry Dr. Perchking. I read that for EU deliveries power folding mirrors will be available.

Thanks Raffy, - I also read that on some web forum, posted by someone not within Tesla. I asked Tesla Europe a few weeks ago whether they could confirm this - and got the answer that "we have no information on plans for including power retractable side mirrors, but let's hope the post you found on the web is correct". Not very promising, but let's hope it's just a matter of the Europeans not being in the information loop.

I probably should not complain, Oslo (Norway) is one thing, but driving a 220 cm wide car in your native Rome (Italy), well....best of luck !:rolleyes:

Thanks Raffy, - I also read that on some web forum, posted by someone not within Tesla. I asked Tesla Europe a few weeks ago whether they could confirm this - and got the answer that "we have no information on plans for including power retractable side mirrors, but let's hope the post you found on the web is correct". Not very promising, but let's hope it's just a matter of the Europeans not being in the information loop.

I probably should not complain, Oslo (Norway) is one thing, but driving a 220 cm wide car in your native Rome (Italy), well....best of luck !:rolleyes:

Hi Dr. Perchking,
I think we should just wait for the autumn to come when the prices and the specifications for EU deliveries will be ready. Anyway I read that Tesla is working on power folding mirrors for Model S and if they will not be implemented for first EU deliveries they will certainly be implemented later on. You are right. Driving a 220 cm wide car without power folding mirrors in Rome would be difficult. But I am sure that Tesla will work out the problem soon.

I hope the rumored power-folding side mirrors soon become a reality. My reservation came due to finalize this month, but I just couldn't picture myself manually folding both side mirrors each time I park in my single-car garage... at least without daily swearing! I'm willing to live with the current interior and the rest of the vehicle as-is, and I came oh so close to giving in...

However, I've opted to defer indefinitely, until such time that Tesla announces availability of power-folding side mirrors, an option to retrofit with these post-production, or - heaven forbid - the intention to never offer power-folding side mirrors. Tesla rep was more than willing to refund my deposit, but I'd rather hold out for a vehicle I'm truly happy with.

Garage is wired, and custom vanity plate is already on my current vehicle just begging for a proper host!

Perhaps you'll get side-view cameras... :)

I hope the rumored power-folding side mirrors soon become a reality. My reservation came due to finalize this month, but I just couldn't picture myself manually folding both side mirrors each time I park in my single-car garage... at least without daily swearing! I'm willing to live with the current interior and the rest of the vehicle as-is, and I came oh so close to giving in...

However, I've opted to defer indefinitely, until such time that Tesla announces availability of power-folding side mirrors, an option to retrofit with these post-production, or - heaven forbid - the intention to never offer power-folding side mirrors. Tesla rep was more than willing to refund my deposit, but I'd rather hold out for a vehicle I'm truly happy with.

Garage is wired, and custom vanity plate is already on my current vehicle just begging for a proper host!

How tough is that paint armor? Maybe we can put a few layers on the outside of the side mirrors, and upon entering narrow garages they simply get pushed in upon impact. Then when leaving the garage you have a stick that you use to push the passenger mirror back in place (need to open the window, but for just a short amount of time).

You're not kidding. Ive only driven there once (a rental Fiat, of course), but something to size of the Model S would be daunting!

Actually I wouldn't say that it would be daunting because the Model S has dimensions that are comparable to Audi Q7 (1 cm narrower and 12 cm shorter) which is a SUV that you can easily see in Rome. But of course it would be helpful to have power driving mirrors and proximity sensors for Model S in Rome. Sorry for using centimeters but in Europe we are not very much used to using inches.

Actually I wouldn't say that it would be daunting because the Model S has dimensions that are comparable to Audi Q7 (1 cm narrower and 12 cm shorter) which is a SUV that you can easily see in Rome. But of course it would be helpful to have power driving mirrors and proximity sensors for Model S in Rome.

And of course almost every car of comparable dimensions for sale in Europe (not just in Rome ;-) ) has power folding mirrors and proxi-sensors front and rear as standard or at least optional. Not to mention even cars that are much smaller have that kind of equipment available, sometimes even in connection with auto-parking assistants.

I'm really curious to see what the Euro-Model S will have to offer - apart from all the "bugfixes".

Actually I wouldn't say that it would be daunting because the Model S has dimensions that are comparable to Audi Q7 (1 cm narrower and 12 cm shorter) which is a SUV that you can easily see in Rome. But of course it would be helpful to have power driving mirrors and proximity sensors for Model S in Rome. Sorry for using centimeters but in Europe we are not very much used to using inches.

I'm good with centimeters, I'm European (and can't get used to measuring everything in fractions of inches over here!)

The Q7 is a big car (SUV), so if you're used to that, even with all the parking aids and gadgets, then I'm sure you'll be fine. My visitors view of driving in Rome is likely different from a residents :). I travel with Americans who wouldn't dream of driving through central London, but in my mind it's way less hazardous than Dallas freeways.

I'm good with centimeters, I'm European (and can't get used to measuring everything in fractions of inches over here!)

I just remember that about 2.5 cm is an inch and then use cm or mm for the finer bits.

I travel with Americans who wouldn't dream of driving through central London, but in my mind it's way less hazardous than Dallas freeways.

I'll buy that. Every person I've met from the U.K. comments on how undisciplined the drivers are here. In particularly, not stopping before entering a roadway, using a gas station to cut the corner when turning right, and waiting until the last moment to enter the turning lane (usually from a lane that is not adjacent to the turning lane they want to use) are driving behaviours I see daily.